REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

owens river in winter

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

owens river in winter

Postby Wanderer » February 6th, 2015, 5:47 pm

What is the owen's river like right now ? I am a beginner pretty much and my wife is going to be gone to visit her family in Minnesota so I was thinking may a trip to the owens river for a couple of quick days SO any one have any ideas about this?
Wanderer

Re: owens river in winter

Postby darrin terry » February 6th, 2015, 6:52 pm

You might start here: http://sierratroutmagnet.com/reports/

Also, if you go up, stop in at the shop. Dave's a great guy and he and his crew are out on the water daily. He also checks in here from time to time.

Best of luck!
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby BobK » February 6th, 2015, 7:28 pm

It has really been good in the wild trout section this week. There is a hatch from about 12:30 PM to about 2pm on BWO's or blue duns and before and after has been good with nymphs. Make sure that you are bumping bottom and don't be afraid to fish the faster water. Up and across drifts have been doing it for me. If you can stay away from the weekends you will have more room to fish. Lots and lots of people from Friday thru Sunday or Monday. I've been using 16 & 18 drys and 18 20 nymphs Good luck
BobK

Postby jazz on the fly » February 6th, 2015, 10:52 pm

Well there's a giant fire across the highway from the river at the moment that's cramping everyone's style, so I wouldn't come up in the next day or two without checking containment status, but generally, winter is one of the best times to fish the lower owens and there have been some big boys coming out of the upper owens. I've heard you have to go on a pretty serious hunt for the big ones in the upper.
jazz on the fly

Postby jazz on the fly » February 9th, 2015, 4:05 pm

Fire is under control, unfortunately, it did more than cramp peoples' style. Approximately 40 homes were lost and it could have been much worse if the last storm hadn't hit when it did. Hit the Lower Owens on Saturday and fishing was good, so, come on up.
jazz on the fly

Return to General Fly Fishing