REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Bass in the Wid Trout Section of Owens

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Bass in the Wid Trout Section of Owens

Postby KRoberts1 » March 20th, 2015, 4:38 pm

I spent the last 4 days fishing in the upper and middle Owens. While fishing the Wild Trout section, I had a strange catch show up. I caught a 10" bass, in fine shape. Not sure if it was a Largemouth or a spotted bass. Dark green lateral line was solid, not broken, like I've seen on the spots. In either case, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Not sure if its a good sign for the fishery.

keith
KRoberts1

Re: Bass in the Wid Trout Section of Owens

Postby anacrime » March 20th, 2015, 6:42 pm

Yeah the lower you go, the more bass you'll find. The lower, lower sections are pretty much a warm water fishery with the occasionally rumored hog brown trout.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Re: Bass in the Wid Trout Section of Owens

Postby rumson » March 21st, 2015, 6:50 am

I've caught a few bass in the wild trout and middle sections. Last year on a drift trip, we actually saw a large trout (unsure if it was a brown or a rainbow) chasing a bass around one of the pools.
rumson

Return to General Fly Fishing