REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Back support Question

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Back support Question

Postby Benny » February 21st, 2009, 6:45 pm

Have any of you ever used or know anyone that uses this CLICK :arrow: Simms Backsaver :?
Benny

Re: Back support Question

Postby midger » February 21st, 2009, 7:05 pm

Haven't used one but have a Hodgman downstairs that somebody gave me. If you interested in trying it out let me know. I think it is a large/XL size but they are adjustable. It looks like the Simms one, but is a different color. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Sasha » February 21st, 2009, 8:58 pm

Nope I have never used one because I am not that "old" yet :lol:
Sasha

Postby midger » February 21st, 2009, 9:23 pm

Sasha wrote:Nope I have never used one because I am not that "old" yet :lol:

Ha! Bad/injured backs know no minimum age...........you better knock on wood. :o
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Sasha » February 21st, 2009, 10:11 pm

midger wrote:
Sasha wrote:Nope I have never used one because I am not that "old" yet :lol:

Ha! Bad/injured backs know no minimum age...........you better knock on wood. :o

I was just havin a little fun ;) (Runs to go find some wood to knock on)
Sasha

Postby fly addict » February 21st, 2009, 10:12 pm

I have one. The problem I have with it is the height in the back support area. It is to high and makes it hard to move around in tight spots with waders. If it was not as high in the back I think it would be better for movement but you then give up back support. I do not use it for that reason any more.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby JGray » February 22nd, 2009, 8:40 pm

I have a pair of W/M guide waders that have one with them. What I have noticed about it is that my shoulders and neck aren't sore or at least as sore at the end of the day (most of my fishing days are 10-12 hour days). I think its because it forces me to have better posture.
JGray

Postby Benny » February 23rd, 2009, 9:10 am

Thanks for all the info guys :ugeek:
Benny

Postby dna » February 23rd, 2009, 9:37 am

I like use a nice 12 year... 8-)
dna

Postby Jim T » February 23rd, 2009, 11:01 am

I tried one at the store but it dug into my ribs too much when I tightened it up enough to give me some back support. I also have the Hodgeman version which is slightly shorter but still does the same to me. Note: fortunately I still have a fairly slim waist so when I tighten it, it angles up under the front of my rib cage.

I wear one of the belts like the warehouse guys wear (or anyone that does a lot of lifting). It's the one that's about 8" tall all the way around made of elastic nylon with velcro on the front to adjust the fit and a few stays in the back (I cut off the suspenders). Bought it at Home Deport. It's a little hot in the summer but like JGray said, it causes me to correct my tendency to bend over when I'm watching my drift.

Jim
Jim T

Return to General Fly Fishing