REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Dapping.. uh, I mean Tenkara

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Dapping.. uh, I mean Tenkara

Postby Baughb » March 30th, 2015, 6:57 am

Had a blast a week ago with a Tenkara rod on HC with unweighted nymphs. I used a bit of strike putty just smeared on the leader to help me keep track of the line and I found no shortage of willing playmates. Using a bit of weight for those few deep slots brought some of the bigger kids out to play. Just pleasantly surprised that a simple set up provides such a fun time. Now to just have more time to play.

That's all,

Bob
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Re: Dapping.. uh, I mean Tenkara

Postby WanderingBlues » March 30th, 2015, 9:02 am

Pics!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Devinpreston » March 30th, 2015, 9:18 am

cant wait! I am gonna be there wednesday with my new tenkara!
Devinpreston

Postby Hunt4lyf » March 30th, 2015, 10:30 am

Tenkara is the only way I fish anymore, I absolutely love it.

Devinpreston wrote:cant wait! I am gonna be there wednesday with my new tenkara!

I hope that line gets to you in time.
Hunt4lyf

Postby tomsakai » March 30th, 2015, 1:13 pm

Always thought that HC might be a great place for Tenkara with its small size and lack of trees.
tomsakai

Postby BrownBear » March 30th, 2015, 3:34 pm

Can't say about HC, but it's great anywhere you might be tempted to "direct contact" nymph. Guys make a big deal about the lack of a reel on a tenkara rod, but who uses their reel for much more than a counterbalance on the rod when DC nymphing? If you think DC nymphing is effective with a conventional long nymph rod and reel, try it with a rod that's even more sensitive and weighs about 1/4 as much.
BrownBear

Postby Baughb » March 30th, 2015, 5:26 pm

With regards to the reel... It does help playing a bigger fish because with a Tenkara rod the options are to break off, break the rod, or let the rod swim with the fish whilest you run along side to grab the rod again when the fish tires... or lose it. So each has its place; first world problems. ;)

Bob
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Postby Hunt4lyf » March 31st, 2015, 5:25 am

I've landed browns up to 22" on my Tenkara rod, no throwing it in the water either.
Hunt4lyf

Postby Baughb » April 1st, 2015, 3:41 pm

Well done on the big fish!
Baughb

Return to General Fly Fishing