REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

How is it that new toys can make me so happy...still!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Postby Baughb » May 4th, 2015, 11:31 am

Picked up a few new things recently, a silk line for my 4wt bamboo rod, Ebay'd into my life a sweet, Sweetgrass 5wt, got my buddy into silk lines, got a hall pass for a second summer trip (Fall River area) from my wife, things are good!

Anyone else?

And honestly, would like to encourage a trip to the Sell/Trade gear are as I have some things to sell.
And if a moderator chooses to remove this, I get it.

Bob
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Re: How is it that new toys can make me so happy...still!

Postby WanderingBlues » May 5th, 2015, 9:26 am

I've coveted a Sweetgrass since watching a documentary on them. And we should do more but/sell/trading here.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby BrownBear » May 5th, 2015, 10:25 am

My new stuff is mostly oriented to boat gear and the early king salmon run at the moment. They're still too scattered for fly fishing, but within the month it's going to be 10WTs tossing big flies to reefs and kelp beds. Kind of reminds me of the yellowtail fishing we used to do along the CA kelp back in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Sometimes a lot of casts between fish, but when the rod bucked all was forgiven.

Just to prime the pump, here's my wife's catch on opening day of the local derby. It's 36.5" and 26.25#, but not the least competitive. The current leader is almost 60#, so we have lots of catching up to do. And we're trying!
BrownBear

Postby Baughb » May 5th, 2015, 3:48 pm

Wandering blues,
I do more than you suggest and those that I fish with and know on this board enjoy this immensely.

Bob
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Postby briansII » May 5th, 2015, 4:27 pm

Since I don't buy any gear these days, I have no joy in my life. Heartbreaking, I know. :cry: :cry:

Please send me a pre-war Hardy so I can find happiness again.

briansII
briansII

Postby darrin terry » May 5th, 2015, 7:01 pm

briansII wrote:Since I don't buy any gear these days, I have no joy in my life. Heartbreaking, I know. :cry: :cry:

briansII

Will a 1930 Hardy do? It's got a few scratches and has taken one on the chin a few times.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby briansII » May 6th, 2015, 4:19 pm

darrin terry wrote:
briansII wrote:Since I don't buy any gear these days, I have no joy in my life. Heartbreaking, I know. :cry: :cry:

briansII

Will a 1930 Hardy do? It's got a few scratches and has taken one on the chin a few times.

Thanks. That made me smile, but it was fleeting. I need something more substantial, like leaded aluminum.

briansII
briansII

Postby darrin terry » May 6th, 2015, 5:29 pm

Yeah, I've heard they really deserve the name 'Perfect'. Supposed to be pretty sweet to fish, especially paired with bamboo or older glass.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby stanbery » May 7th, 2015, 2:33 pm

Bob
Good post so why would we delete it?

Going to the Fall river in 8 days so will post a report when i get back, It is a great area to fish.

Brian

I think your nose is growing. LOL

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Baughb » May 8th, 2015, 6:54 am

Jon,

It is self serving in trying to direct people towards the Gear for sale/ trade area and I thought it might be offensive to some.

Bob
Baughb

Postby briansII » May 8th, 2015, 9:10 am

Baughb wrote:Jon,

It is self serving in trying to direct people towards the Gear for sale/ trade area and I thought it might be offensive to some.

Bob

Not to me. I see this all the time on other forums.

stanbery wrote:Bob
Good post so why would we delete it?

Going to the Fall river in 8 days so will post a report when i get back, It is a great area to fish.

Brian

I think your nose is growing. LOL

Jon

Have a great trip!

briansII
briansII

Postby SxS » May 16th, 2015, 10:08 am

Bob, to be honest, I've had my doubts about sweetgrass all along, they seem to make way too many rods for me to believe Glenn is involved in building any of them in any way other than a name. I see used ones for sale EVERY DAY making me think way too many folks get buyers or casters remorse because they never gel with casting them, no one sells a rod that is magic unless they really need the $$! i know Glenn's philosophy is to create a learning environment and then pass the company on to his understudy builders and that's awesome!. in my hands, your rod is pleasant enough to cast, maybe a little slower than i would have expected but plenty of power when i slow down and let it do its thing. The skies did not part for me, but as we know paired with the right line, you will find a sweet spot for the sweetgrass! For what you got it for, it was a very good deal. i would certainly hesitate to pay for a new sweetgrass with so many used rods from amazing builders in the same price range. As for hardy perfects, they are in fact perfect with bamboo rods and they scream like nobody's business and i really like looking at them and yes they make me happy which is why i keep buying more!! Also bringing me great joy is my san fran Thompson reel and my JW young reel! As for why this gear makes us so happy, my shrink calls it a process addiction... she's obviously an idiot!!
SxS

Postby Rasputinj » May 16th, 2015, 7:18 pm

Lots of equipment to buy, think about buying or to drool over.

SxS I love the Thompson reels.
Sweet grass makes some nice rods, I like some of the small builders out there like our Doug Daniel (theopilus) he builds some incredible Quads, James Reid, Bill Blackburn, Dennis Stone, penta rods from Larry at High Sierra in Angels Camp.
Or you can be like me and just be a neighbor to Darrin (DRay) who is a great builder who helps make me think I can do it, and then I spent a lot of money on the equipment and try to build bamboo rods .
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby Baughb » May 18th, 2015, 10:32 am

Well Jeb,

Luckily we can compare the rods and see, especially with the plethora of available lines that we have between the two of us. I not only went this route because of the great deal but, a good bit of investigation based on opinions of some people I know and a lot of strangers so I'm good with it. I've had a "collectible" rod before but, I prefer to fish it without worrying about harming an heirloom. It's all good.

Bob
Baughb

Return to General Fly Fishing