REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Reddington VS. Sage

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Reddington VS. Sage

Postby fflutterffly » February 24th, 2009, 8:03 pm

I would like to know where to find definitive information regarding the differences. I know many of you are gear-heads so I am reaching out to you.
I'll take my answers off the air.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Re: Reddington VS. Sage

Postby midger » February 24th, 2009, 9:03 pm

Sage now owns Redington. The Redington rods are a cheaper version of the Sages--not bad rods though. The CPS is/was very similar to the Sage XP and you can still pick some up at Cabela's site for $149--a lot cheaper than a comparable XP (which BTW, was just rereleased and now carried by Cabelas and Angler's Roost at just a shade under $600). The RS2, RS3, and RS4 were all nice rods with the RS2 and 3 now discontinued. I had an RS2 9 weight for travel and salmon. I'd rate it as a moderate-fast action. Not as fast as a CPS, and the cosmetics weren't Sage-good, but the rod was still very functional and at a closeout price of $49, hey it was okay.

There are rods every bit as good as Sage without the high price tag. I say that being primarily a Sage owner the past 25 years also, but I've cast a lot of different rods, and one of my main lightweights is a 3 weight 8'9" 5 piece SLT, I also have a 490, and 590 SLT, but my favorite 5 weight is an old (as in 1990) RPL series. I'd also rate it as a moderate/fast action more to the fast side.

Cast as many as you can--better yet, take a loaner out and fish them if you can. Find the one that suits your style of casting along with the types of fishing/flies (dry, nymphs, weighted streamers, etc) you'll be doing and distances/conditions you expect to have to cast the rod in.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Gary C. » February 24th, 2009, 9:28 pm

I took advantage of when the Redington RS3 was discontinued also and bought a 3wt and an 8wt. I have not fished the 8wt much but I love the 3wt.
Gary C.
Gary C.

Postby dna » February 25th, 2009, 12:47 pm

Solid rods at great prices. To me, Sage only has slightly better aesthetics. You can't go wrong with a Redington rod, every one I have casted has impressed me--especially as far as bang for the buck.
dna

Postby Gary C. » February 25th, 2009, 12:54 pm

One word of caution though is about the Redington SS rods that are showing up now at clearence prices. I had a friend that was thinking about buying one and I didn't know anything about thiem so I PM'd someone on the Kern site to get there opinion. I was told that the SS rods were built to be especially fast and that most people would want to over-line them to cast comfortably. I don't know but I would suggest that ask around before buying an SS rod.
Gary C.
Gary C.

Postby briansII » February 25th, 2009, 1:46 pm

Definitive? :? As far as I know, all of Sage rods are rolled an assembled in the US. I don't believe any of the Redingtons are. Performance wise, i'd have to agree with the others. Redingtons....in particular, the CPS(faster actions), are great rods. Not for the price, but flat out very nice rods. The RS4 is slower than the CPS, but still medium fast. They feel light in hand, and great casting tools. Sage doesn't really need any endorsements from me, but I own more of them than any other brand. I don't feel their reputation is built off of hype. They earned it. Having said that, if you're looking for a trout rod, take a look at Winston. :D :D

briansII
briansII

Postby Nav » February 25th, 2009, 4:11 pm

I have a 49 dollar close out Redington like Midger mentioned, mine is a 5 weight 2 piece, it was one of my first rods and for awhile I had no idea how it compared to other good quality rods, When I accidently took the S.A. GPX line off of it, and tried it with a Cortland 444 silk , I learned it was a much better rod then I ever thought, I actually might be able to cast this rod and line combo farther then any Sage rod I own. (for all those that have seen me cast I apolijize) This particular Redington seems to be nicely finished. Also if you like Redingtn rods I understand that the person who sold that company to Sage designed the Albright line of Rods, I have bought 3 Albrights and I think they fall into the category of a lot of bang for your buck, particularily the A5 model in 6,7 and 8 weight.

Pat
Nav

Postby fly addict » February 25th, 2009, 7:24 pm

Ariel, I do not care much for fast action rods. The Redington CPS is most definitely a fast action rod. Great for the casting games at the pond but I would not want one to fish with. What I look for in a fishing rod is something that will protect light tippets and still have some backbone to turn a nice fish. I also want a rod that has a nice swing weight. If you can find an old Sage SLT or even a LL check them out. If you want the best get an old Winston IM6 or WT 8’ 3wt, probably the best 3wt every made. If you can make up the Owens this weekend I’ll let you try a few green sticks. Just don’t drop them in the drink! :o :lol:
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby dna » February 26th, 2009, 9:56 am

fly addict wrote:Ariel, I do not care much for fast action rods. The Redington CPS is most definitely a fast action rod. Great for the casting games at the pond but I would not want one to fish with. What I look for in a fishing rod is something that will protect light tippets and still have some backbone to turn a nice fish. I also want a rod that has a nice swing weight. If you can find an old Sage SLT or even a LL check them out. If you want the best get an old Winston IM6 or WT 8’ 3wt, probably the best 3wt every made. If you can make up the Owens this weekend I’ll let you try a few green sticks. Just don’t drop them in the drink! :o :lol:

Exactly!!
dna

Return to General Fly Fishing