REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Drought Effect on the Native fish populations

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Drought Effect on the Native fish populations

Postby 1mocast » August 24th, 2015, 7:08 am

Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Re: Drought Effect on the Native fish populations

Postby Wildman » August 24th, 2015, 7:30 am

Thanks for sharing....I saw the results first hand on the Smith River while we were on fires near Crescent City. I worry for our locals.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Re: Drought Effect on the Native fish populations

Postby BrownBear » August 24th, 2015, 11:05 am

Sounds crazy, but we have a "drought" under way here. But the complexion is really different than the drought down there. We've only had half an inch of rain in August, down from a normal of 3-4". But the timing couldn't be worse.

It comes just as millions of pink salmon (literally) are entering low rivers, so many that they deplete the oxygen as they die off after spawning or simply breathe in their black masses. Meanwhile reds of newly deposited eggs are exposed as stream channels narrow. It's pretty startling to be out on a hot sunny day and see thousands of salmon turn over and die in a few minutes time..... Lots more are following in their wake and will take care of the propagation business once the rains return. Meanwhile each tide brings in another big batch of fish, and you get to watch it happen all over again.

I only bring it up because it's a graphic example of what you're likely seeing down there on a smaller scale. Food for thought, and fertilizer for the stream bed.
BrownBear

Return to General Fly Fishing