REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

An ethical dilemma

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

What to do with the old spin gear?

Donate it to charity.
78%
Throw it in the trash.
4%
Something else (please elaborate below)
17%

Total votes : 23

Re: An ethical dilemma

Postby briansII » February 27th, 2009, 12:43 pm

Donate it.

I humbly submit this organization. Some friends of mine have donated time and money, and they are much richer for it.

http://www.okizu.org/about.html

briansII
briansII

Postby fflutterffly » February 27th, 2009, 2:37 pm

Donations are my middle name. At our house we have a rule. You purchase a new pair of shoes, you give a pair away (donate). My father always carries a pair of shoes, a jacket and a rain poncho (purchased at the $1.00 store) When he sees a homeless person in his neighborhood, he gives them one of the items. Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, church groups, anti-delinquent groups... they need it all.

As several have mentioned, selling is a good idea. But take that money and donate it to a cause.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby Nav » February 27th, 2009, 3:36 pm

I voted to donate it Jon, how about to Octo-mom, she's got 14 kids with no daddy and has already come out and said that she's ready for the public to take care of her brood. Plus the photo op of you giving all the gear to the little Octo Munchkins would be classic, which could lead to annual visits to Whitter by Uncle Jon, when he brings the new gear for the coming season of subsistince fishing and foraging in the new economy. ;)

Pat
Nav

Postby Trootfisher » February 27th, 2009, 8:08 pm

donate it.

what's wrong with spin fishing anyway?

plenty of spin and bait fisherman out there enjoy the sport of fishing,
fish legally, and keep what they are allowed, especially stockers, which are
stocked for people to catch and keep. I don't understand why people are so
down on bait/spin fisherman all the time.
Trootfisher

Postby Chris Kuhn » February 27th, 2009, 11:40 pm

Everybody starts somewhere and if they learn to appreciate the resource and protect it, I don't care if they fish with a 5 pound bucket of stink bait.
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby Papasequoia » February 28th, 2009, 9:29 pm

Trootfisher wrote:I don't understand why people are so down on bait/spin fisherman all the time.

You're kidding, right? I mean, with the amounts of trash found everywhere that is obviously from bait fishermen, to the crowding and hole-jumping, to the poachers, to the dangerous treble hooks that get swallowed, etc. etc. etc. Rare behavior from fly fishermen. That doesn't mean that all bait/spin fishermen do these things, just that when they get done they are most often done by bait/spin fishermen. You've heard about the rotten apple spoiling the barrel, right? Anyway, it's a subject that is discussed so frequently that I'm surprised that you don't understand, unless you're just engaging in a little of this, Sean: Image

However, I didn't want this thread to turn into a finger-pointing contest, just to see what other people thought about donating or trashing. Overwhelmingly people voted for donate to charity (which I guess disproves your theory). No one voted for trash it. There were some great charities mentioned, so many in fact that I wish I had more stuff! They are all good ideas and I hope others were able to gain from them as well. It's a tough choice, but I think it would be nice to keep it local if possible. Barrie, if you could post or PM me an address for the Sheriff's Activity League, I'd appreciate it. Thanks and thanks to everyone who took the time to reply! Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing