REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

An ethical dilemma

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

What to do with the old spin gear?

Donate it to charity.
78%
Throw it in the trash.
4%
Something else (please elaborate below)
17%

Total votes : 23

An ethical dilemma

Postby Papasequoia » February 26th, 2009, 8:14 pm

So, sitting in a dusty corner here at home are three even dustier spin rods: mine and the two I bought my boys five or six years ago. Underneath that is a tackle box, replete with lures and bobbers and swivels and bass plugs and a jar of dried out salmon eggs. This stuff hasn't been touched in years, and I'm sure will never be in the future. I do have a bit of sentimental attachment to some of the lures and plugs that have somehow survived decades of possession and use. But, I'm never going to use it again, so it's time to let it go. None of it is really high end. Walmart bought gear basically, not the cheapest but far from the most expensive.

Here's the ethical dilemma. I contribute everything we grow out of or don't need anymore to Goodwill and Salvation Army. I don't do yard sales, I just bring it all to them. But do I really want to contribute to someone's new or continuing spin/bait fishing habit? It's kind of like giving up smoking and then donating your unused cartons of cigarettes to the local hospital. The trash seems like the best place for them (cigarettes and spin gear). But, I grew up in New England and that good old Yankee thrift runs deep; I hate to throw anything away that might have some use for me or others. I really don't know what to do. Seriously, I am torn here. What would you do? I'm going fishing in the morning, back Saturday night. I will abide by your majority vote. Please help me out! Should I trash it, donate it, or some other (easy) solution? Thanks, Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Re: An ethical dilemma

Postby castaway » February 26th, 2009, 8:41 pm

Smash the barbs on all the lures, and inscribe "catch and release" on the poles...

donate to a group that will help troubled kids....or the Goodwill.
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby Sasha » February 26th, 2009, 8:45 pm

Donate it.
Sasha

Postby Eric » February 26th, 2009, 9:40 pm

Donate it Jon. Maybe some dad will take his kids fishing :!:
Eric
Eric

Postby midger » February 26th, 2009, 9:47 pm

Don't donate it. Just give me your flyfishing stuff and you an use the spinning stuff yourself. Everyone knows you can catch more fish with bait......(I've heard that from many that were fishing bait, BTW ;) )
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Gary C. » February 26th, 2009, 10:08 pm

I'm betting that there is a Boy Scout troop somewhere that would love to put it to use. ;)
Gary C.
Gary C.

Postby rayfound » February 26th, 2009, 10:29 pm

Donate or give it to someone you know will use it responsibly.

As flyfishers, its important for us to remember that there is nothing inherently better about what we do from a conservation standpoint versus spinning gear. Of course, we all understand that we see empirical evidence every day that flyfishers are, by and large, more conservation minded, but flyfishing does not make one tread lightly, and gear-fishing does not make one an earth-hater. Donate it with a short essay about conservation and catch and release attached.

Mashing the barbs is a good idea.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby darrin terry » February 26th, 2009, 10:58 pm

Donation sounds good, Jon. But the question was what would I do? Having made my mind up on this the answer was simple. I kept mine. Do I use it? No. Does it get used? Rarely. Why then did I hold on to it? My dad does not fly fish. He likes to fish though. Since we do not get many chances to fish, certainly not enough to get him started fly fishing, I keep mine for his use. Once, or maybe twice a year, we get to fish together. That spin gear makes it easier to do. I do have one rod I could toss as it never gets used. I have another that is going to a friend…someday.

That said, it sounds like you have no further need for it. I would suggest donating it. After all, some kid may benefit by gaining a love for moving water and the subtle take of a trout. Such a love led many of us to the fly in our own beginning on this path along the water. That is something to hope for.

EDIT…

You might keep the tackle box. They can be a decent way to carry a vise and tools and some materials on trips. Depending on the size of the box of course.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Sheriff Joe » February 26th, 2009, 11:23 pm

No way! I appreciate the sentiment, and lord knows there are kids out there who would put those things to good use, but you should take the spinning gear out the next time you fish saltwater. I routinely burn through at least 1-2 cheapo spinning combos per year fishing on my kayak. Rod/reel combos like yours are perfect for sabiki bait fishing, bottom fishing in the bays, and kelp fishing swimbaits for calicos. Even with good care (rinsing and greasing after every use), they still rust shut with alarming frequency after saltwater exposure.

*, come on down to San Diego and Chris and I will show you how to have a good time with your old gear. And you don't have to worry about the eventual possibility of donating your non-PC bait gear to some assclown who may use it to clean out your favorite fly waters and kill wild ones after you donate it to "charity."

Just my $0.02...
Slap a cold trout on it!
Sheriff Joe

Postby Barrie Mann » February 27th, 2009, 8:17 am

Jon,
Donate it all to the Kern County Sherrif's activity League. This organization works with kids that don't have the advantage of a father to show them how to live productive lives. The SSFFC had a couple of these kids at the first SSFFC Kids academy and they were most appreciative of the stuff they received and learned and I've seen them on the water since then and they tell me they have become avid fishermen keeping them of the streets. Like the good Dr. said, I'd rather see kids fish with bait and bobbers than do damage to property because they are bored.
Barrie
Barrie Mann

Postby super dry fly » February 27th, 2009, 8:26 am

Donate it. Hook a kid on fishing, even if it is spin fishing (I'm sure its a place where most of us started out), once the hook is set, he/she can become 'enlightened' fly fishers like the rest of us.
"What you call a disease - I call a remedy. What you call the cause - I call the cure."

-the Bosstones
super dry fly

Postby fly addict » February 27th, 2009, 9:36 am

If you are not going to use it any more sell it. At least that way you can buy more fly gear and maybe keep a local fly shop in business in these tough times!
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby RichardCullip » February 27th, 2009, 9:39 am

Papa - I've seen you fly fish. Have you considered donating your fly gear and going back to using the spinning gear? ;) ;) ;) ;)

Seriously, I voted for donating. The Police Activity League is a great suggestion. Give a kid a fishing rod and he just might grow up into a responsible adult and take up fly fishing!
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Flyjunkie » February 27th, 2009, 9:51 am

Donate it to any of the Great Causes already mentioned.... Getting Kids into the outdoors will improve their lot in life greatly....
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby thtsarumr » February 27th, 2009, 10:04 am

Jon

Casting for Recovery will definitely put your old hardware to use.
Image There's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken sh*!.... Well that little white speck, is chicken sh*! too.
thtsarumr

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing