REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

The Big FIVE-OH...

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: The Big FIVE-OH...

Postby Papasequoia » December 15th, 2015, 6:53 pm

Tomorrow it will be six weeks since I had my shoulder surgery. I went to the doc today for a check-up and he told me that I can finally stop using the sling I have had to wear this whole time. Mainly this was because the bicep tendons were mostly severed and frayed so he cut and trimmed them and then screwed them back on elsewhere on my skeleton, along with the couple of dozen other screws used to repair the rotator cuff tendons. Six weeks was needed to keep the bicep muscle immobile to make sure it healed and set. I really came to hate that sling, so it was great news today that I can take it off and begin the physical therapy of rebuilding the muscles in my arm and regaining full motion. I really never had any idea of how painful this procedure was or how long it takes to recuperate. My commiserations to all who have had it done, and if you haven't but ever need it, be prepared. :sad:

So anyway, I sez to the doctor, "Hey doc, can I go fly fishing in a few weeks?"

He gives me a dubious look and appears to be about to say no.

"I know you told me 4-6 months before I could play tennis again, but fly fishing is not nearly as stressful on the upper arm and shoulder." He still looked doubtful.

"If you are casting correctly your elbow should be tucked in near your side anyway and your forearm and the rod do most of the work." (I may have failed to mention that I don't exactly have the best cast in the world).

"Well, alright, just take it easy," he said, giving me the green light. :bananadance:

So, barring some other issue that may arise, I should be there. The beer will be safe in camp (at least from me, but I don't know about that Bob guy :roll: ) How many bottles of that wine do you have, Curtis? :D

Oh, and by the way, I insist on bringing the firestarter which is pictured below.

Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby WanderingBlues » December 15th, 2015, 6:58 pm

Been there, done that. My shoulder's still not right. Fortunately it was my non-casting arm. I'll bring extra wine.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby rumson » December 15th, 2015, 8:07 pm

I'd love to make it, but I'll be just getting home from a business trip that Friday afternoon. I'll be toast by then. Enjoy!
rumson

Postby lucfish » December 15th, 2015, 9:06 pm

Papasequoia wrote:
Oh, and by the way, I insist on bringing the firestarter which is pictured below.

That's funny Papa.
lucfish

Postby 209er » December 16th, 2015, 8:48 am

The Big Five Oh?? Wow!! :oo: You're getting close to the point where things quit working! :roll: End of January? That big baetis should be making an appearance by then! :bananadance: I remember turning 60 with that citrus dude in late October at Bridgeport, not a fun time!! :drink: Martinis flowed like EW!! Curt you still making beer? Just awesome! 09er
209er

Postby briansII » December 16th, 2015, 10:33 am

Papasequoia wrote:T
"Well, alright, just take it easy," he said, giving me the green light. :bananadance:

Casting a 9wt for 8hrs straight should heal you up real quick. Let's hit the Delta in a couple weeks! ;)

Sounds like a fun party. Need to check my schedule............

briansII
briansII

Postby flybob » December 16th, 2015, 11:28 am

Papasequoia wrote:"Well, alright, just take it easy," he said, giving me the green light. :bananadance:

So, barring some other issue that may arise, I should be there. The beer will be safe in camp (at least from me, but I don't know about that Bob guy :roll: ) How many bottles of that wine do you have, Curtis? :D

Ok, so you will be able to cast....but what happens if you catch a BIG fish! :eek:

Since I suck on the LO, I will just follow you around, and when you hook up, your can just hand you rod to me......problem solved! :bananadance:

And the all the beer....and wine, will be safe! :mrgreen:
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Chris Kuhn » December 16th, 2015, 2:42 pm

Wingnut wrote:
Chris Kuhn wrote:I would love to, let's see if this house sells.

Anyone buy a house?

Not in Riverside!

You know if you were living in Grand Terrace, I would find this highly insulting. :mrgreen:
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby Ants » December 16th, 2015, 7:13 pm

Gee! This trip planning and banter is lots of fun (mostly). I imagine the trip will be even better.

I can't wait.

Ants
Ants

Postby Swanee » December 17th, 2015, 1:03 pm

Man that sounds likw fun! May have to get up that way. I know what you are going through Papa, lot of hard work ahead.
After rehab I was able to fish with Santucci on the Sac for 12 1/2 hours with a 9 weight.
Ants- Hope you like the winston 4, maybe I can visit it on this trip.
Swanee
Swanee

Postby Ants » December 17th, 2015, 8:25 pm

Hi Swanee,

On the Kern, the only fish the Winston 4 produced was a sucker (native, of course). It must be operator error, so the Winston 4 will be floating along on the LO for better results.

I hope you make the outing. I will reserve some float time for you.

Ants
Ants

Postby tree catcher » December 22nd, 2015, 10:45 pm

WanderingBlues wrote:Treecatcher's brewing up a special, non IPA, brew for the weekend. Bout to get real up in here..

I was planning on brewing a maple bacon porter but it would be a green beer, so instead I have a cream ale that is fermenting now and should be great for the party. The wife and I are looking forward to being on the big reedy again.

Sean
tree catcher

Postby WanderingBlues » January 12th, 2016, 2:49 pm

Weather looks to be high 40's down to high 20's at night, with a chance of rain ranging from 10-30%. Of course that's subject to change. In any event, we'll be there parked upstream from the main campground going towards the dam. Look for this--

We'll be there starting Thursday the 21st.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Papasequoia » January 13th, 2016, 4:42 pm

Some setbacks on the shoulder therapy which means no fishing. I don't mind hanging around a campsite in summer, going for a hike, drinking a beer, etc., but not in the wintertime. Have fun and congrats on making it to the half century mark! :D
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby mtnguru » January 14th, 2016, 11:08 pm

I'm finalizing my plans to be up that way on either Tuesday or Wednesday, weather depending, and staying through the weekend so I'll have a chance to finally meet you. I'll probably start further north to avoid the weekend crowd and probably another two days in that wonderful crack, probably my favorite. Then plan on making it back down around PV for the weekend.

It's been quite a while since I've seen many of you gents,looking forward to the trip!

Chris
mtnguru

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing