REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

The Big FIVE-OH...

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: The Big FIVE-OH...

Postby Rasputinj » January 18th, 2016, 9:28 pm

Have a great B-Day party wish I could make up there, sounds like it will be an epic get together. I hope the birthday boy gets a ride in Ants drift boat. I am itching to get back up there to fish.
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby WanderingBlues » January 18th, 2016, 9:31 pm

Rasputinj wrote:Have a great B-Day party wish I could make up there, sounds like it will be an epic get together. I hope the birthday boy gets a ride in Ants drift boat. I am itching to get back up there to fish.

My wife will tell you I'm giggling like a school girl on prom night over going with Ants on a drift. Of course, decorum must be maintained and I'll remain cool in person...... Lol.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Ants » January 18th, 2016, 11:27 pm

The details are being completed. The drift boat and support devices are being readied (winches and chains for sloppy put-ins and take outs). A 2wd drive pickup has great support most of the time, but details at waters edge can be sloppy.

Camping potlucks can be a challenge with limited cooling and limited heating. Campfire roasted yams in tinfoil and butter should seem like comfort food to most folks (me included).

But, the truck and trailer should be ready to go Thursday morning. There is no telling how many drifts will take place to spread the joy. As long as I can get launched and retrieved, I have no limit on the number of folks that I am willing to float with. It seems like a grand way to explore fishing options.

Fun for all.

The weather looks very promising, but that can change quickly.

Ants
Ants

Postby 1mocast » January 19th, 2016, 3:06 pm

I plan on showing up Friday if my sinuses get better. Hope to see you all there.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby WanderingBlues » January 19th, 2016, 5:23 pm

1mocast wrote:I plan on showing up Friday if my sinuses get better. Hope to see you all there.

Benedryl or meth will clear up that issue.
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby WanderingBlues » January 19th, 2016, 6:12 pm

BTW, if everyone can bring some firewood, that would be awesome.
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Ants » January 19th, 2016, 8:57 pm

I have my version of firewood that I will be bringing - there seems to be a little ritual associated with it.

The wood is old growth lumber (mostly cedar) that was cut by the Mt Whitney Lumber Company when they were operating at Johnsondale. Not exactly sure where the wood was cut, but up in those mountains somewhere. The first iterations of house construction used the old growth cedar. As the house is being redecorated, some of the wood get relocated and scraps are left over. It seems inappropriate to send it to the dump or even burn it home in the fireplace.

The wood gets set aside for campfires close to the mountains. It seems to be * to have the smoke and ash end up closer to where the tree started its life. It has been drying for the last 60 years or so and makes a nice fire and smells good also.

Ants
Ants

Postby WanderingBlues » January 20th, 2016, 7:17 am

I like it, Ants! Might find Greg digging through the pile, though, if it's dense old growth! There could be a future net hiding in there.

Here's the coolest I've seen for a campfire; rifle stocks! When I was at Pyramid at a gathering a couple years ago, one of the guys owned a wood shop that supplies stocks to Remington, Winchester, etc. Anything with a blemish was put aside and he used them for firewood.
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Fishfreak911 » January 20th, 2016, 10:37 am

No WHY would you go and post TORTURE on a fly fishing forum Curtis... :doh:

That was just not right.... :booty:
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby fly addict » January 20th, 2016, 11:07 am

Fishfreak911 wrote:No WHY would you go and post TORTURE on a fly fishing forum Curtis... :doh:

Dittos,

You guys have a good time, I've committed to teaching a casting class every Saturday during January so I won’t be attending this gathering. :sad: But watch out next month, I’ll be making up for lost time on the river! :bananadance:
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Ants » January 20th, 2016, 12:26 pm

Greg is obviously free to take any wood he finds useful. There are several boxes to chose from. The prime wood (2inch by 10inch) up to 12-foot long are reserved for boatbuilding.

I changed my potluck contribution to include some chili. It seemed to do a good job of clearing my sinuses. If 1mocast needs some for medicinal purposes, the chili can be warmed up early.

The Kern is getting another flush with yesterday's rain. Kayakers should be out on the river more than fly fishers, however.

Ants
Ants

Postby stanbery » January 20th, 2016, 3:44 pm

Fishfreak911 wrote:No WHY would you go and post TORTURE on a fly fishing forum Curtis... :doh:

I agree One looks like a McMillian stock

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby flybob » January 20th, 2016, 3:53 pm

Ants wrote:
I changed my potluck contribution to include some chili. It seemed to do a good job of clearing my sinuses. If 1mocast needs some for medicinal purposes, the chili can be warmed up early.

Ants

AHH! I am making chili too!

Oh well, guess we can have some on Friday night as well..... :bananadance:
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby WanderingBlues » January 20th, 2016, 4:06 pm

flybob wrote:
Ants wrote:

Ants

AHH! I am making chili too!

Oh well, guess we can have some on Friday night as well..... :bananadance:

CHILI COOK OFF!
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Wildman » January 20th, 2016, 4:36 pm

I was going to try some fancy stuff recipe but will still with the old stalwart.....Fried Meatloaf....fried potatoes and some cheese dip with Rondele stuff in it. Will have boil coffee each morning for those with discerning taste.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing