REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Condor video from Matt

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Condor video from Matt

Postby Papasequoia » March 1st, 2009, 11:56 am

Saw this very cool thread on the SW and asked Matt if I could share the link here. It started out as a scouting trip for fishing and he ended up getting some nice video of condors in the SoCal wild. I let him know that I would be posting it here, so hopefully he will wander over and comment. Great video, Matt, thanks! Jon

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=840735
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Re: Condor video from Matt

Postby flybob » March 2nd, 2009, 7:29 am

Matt does some great video work!

So, for those that have seen this video, does anybody know what all the posturing was about? It looked like they were challanging each other for the prime perch.

Thanks Jon,
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Gary C. » March 2nd, 2009, 7:33 am

I assumed it was a mated pair doing there spring ritual.
Gary C.

Postby midger » March 2nd, 2009, 8:17 am

Pretty neat sight! I'd viewed it on the SW board and enjoyed their little dance.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby anacrime » March 2nd, 2009, 1:20 pm

i saw the video. straight jaw dropping

and i sure as heck hope they're not challenging each other. with 47 flyers left it's time to be friends, not foes.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby McFlyfi » March 2nd, 2009, 9:37 pm

flybob wrote:
So, for those that have seen this video, does anybody know what all the posturing was about? It looked like they were challanging each other for the prime perch.

Bob

Hey all!
I've been laying low lately, not a whole lot to report. I've gone from fishing 2-3 times a month to seemingly only 2-3 times a year!
Anyway, Papasequoia asked if he could post this here, and I really have never been here. I see a lot of familiar people around, so I joined up, and I'm going to jump right in.

Bob- I don't know what they were doing. It looked more like a dominance thing once I reviewed the footage. I watched them for about an hour, and they really didn't do much besides stand around. I think I got a little lucky when they faced off like that.

Gary C. wrote:I assumed it was a mated pair doing there spring ritual.

Gary, I don't think it was a "pair". The reason I say that is that neither of them had the pronounced white underfeathering of mature birds. I believe they were both juvenile birds. Hopefully, I'll hear back from the Condor research groups I contacted, and they can clue us in.

Glad you guys liked it, it sure was cool to see them out in the open, and seemingly doing well. That speaks volumes for how far they've come since being poised on the brink.
McFlyfi

Postby Benny » March 2nd, 2009, 11:02 pm

Very nice find Matt. Looks like a true wilderness untouched by man. I can sort of make out the white on the inside of the wings. Simply awesome footage.
Benny

Postby Rob909 » March 4th, 2009, 8:55 pm

So my daughter comes home from school today and starts doing here homework. About 10 minutes in she comes to me and says she needs to get on the computer to "look up some stuff". I ask here what it is she needs and she hands me a paper with questions about birds (2nd grade). One of the questions is......Name an endangered bird. I immediately thought of the Condor, and then thought of this video which I already viewed.....perfect!!!!

So thanks Matt......great video....you were in the right place at the right time.

It gave me the opportunity to tell both my kids about the Condor and how it is not very common to see one, let alone two, acting in the manner they were. Pretty cool to be able to give the kids a lesson, with the source being a fly-fishing forum.

Rob
Rob909

Return to General Fly Fishing