REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

All Points Bulletin

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

All Points Bulletin

Postby briansII » January 25th, 2016, 12:13 pm

Be on the lookout for a masked, low-holer. Last seen Jan 24th on the Lower American River. Suspect is a male, wearing all back neoprene waders, with full face mask and silver sunglasses. Considered armed and dangerous with a spinning rod/reel and spoons.

Hit the +/enlarge button in the upper left twice to get a better image.

So without any warning, and no eye contact, this guy strolls down the bank and "low holes" me. The picture doesn't really show just how close he is, but my fly is swinging about 4' BELOW where he is standing. I said, " hello, my fly is right in front of you". Because of the river noise I had to repeat, "my fly is directly in front of you!". He said "oh", moved down the bank a few steps, and sets up to make a cast. Many scenarios went through my head, but I didn't feel like getting too aggressive. I stripped out more line and made about as long a cast as I could make. I figured i'd swing my fly as close as I could to him, and if it touched him, all the better. Just as my fly came under tension, I got a good grab. Now my focus was off the space invader, and back on the fish. Several casts later, and no more grabs, I'm stepping down closer to the masked interloper.....and it is not that cold so I wonder why this guy is wearing a full faced mask. My fly is swinging past him and I'm stripping the fly back within a few feet in front of him. I thought about giving up and moving, but I'm guessing he wants where I'm standing, so I stayed. I continued to push him down, and at some point he had enough, or he was done fishing that spot, and left. Fun stuff on a urban fishery.

briansII
briansII

Re: All Points Bulletin

Postby clee » January 25th, 2016, 1:03 pm

That sucks. There always is that one guy...
clee

Postby NorcalBob » January 25th, 2016, 3:09 pm

One of the many reasons why I don't fish that river very much these days. Of course, the #1 reason is my car has been broken into three times and after picking broken glass out of my butt a few too many times, I'm just not game any more. And then there's guys like this also!
NorcalBob

Postby WanderingBlues » January 25th, 2016, 9:37 pm

I think he showed up on the Low O this weekend...
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby briansII » January 26th, 2016, 11:11 am

NorcalBob wrote:One of the many reasons why I don't fish that river very much these days. Of course, the #1 reason is my car has been broken into three times and after picking broken glass out of my butt a few too many times, I'm just not game any more. And then there's guys like this also!

Yep, not to mention the low water a fish returns. Still, for me, it's far enough to feel like I'm going on a "fishing trip", but close enough I can do it on a weekend. There's some very nice swing water, and the adult fish that swim this river are good size. Not so much on the steel water closer to home.

Bonus, crispy fish tacos. :P

briansII
briansII

Postby flybob » January 26th, 2016, 11:19 am

Well, at least you let him know that you knew what he was doing, and had the patience to stand your ground, as well as to slowly creep up on him...LOL! and he finally got the hint!

Had that happen to me the first time I went to the East Walker, I was moving up on a nice long deep hole, just caught a decent brownie, I look up and this guy is running down to the middle of the hole not more than 20 yards in front of me, and sets up to cast....within a minute he nails a big bow....I am devastated. We decided to leave, we came back about an hour later, and he is still fishing the hole.....must have been good fishing there.....I did not catch another fish the rest of the day!
So it goes.......
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby fly addict » January 26th, 2016, 12:59 pm

This guy is a good deterrent to folks getting to close to you on the water. Never leave home without him!
Image ;)
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby BobK » January 26th, 2016, 4:29 pm

My 3 Labs love the water and are very friendly....Need I say more? BobK
BobK

Postby FIGHTONSC » January 26th, 2016, 4:56 pm

Brian, I'll take the Negra....don't see it much here in Kansas!

Was a staple in California and in Baja at Punta Colorada!

Regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Return to General Fly Fishing