REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Shuttle by eBike or Bike?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Shuttle by eBike or Bike?

Postby jaydubp » March 4th, 2016, 11:16 am

Anyone hauled or hauling their inflatable from take out to put in and floating back with the bike on the boat?
I am especially interested in folding electric bikes since at 68 I'd rather conserve all my energy for fishing. Any brand/model recommendations? Used ones are in my $$ range.

A big concern is if an electric bike will really go 9-10 miles on a forest service dirt road with a 200lb rider pulling 50lbs on a trailer.

I am considering a regular folding mountain bike with 26" wheels pulling about 50lbs of boat/gear on a 2 wheel child carrier style trailer. Bike trailer folds flat to about 6" high and will fit across the pontoons behind me. The folded bike will be tied on top of that so combined they would be 19"H x 30"W x 30" D and be right behind the seat So narrower than my upper body and about high as armpits. Bike + empty trailer would weigh around 40lbs, which is less than having my dog with me.

I will be taking this stuff in an small RV, so storage is critical- thus the folding bike and folding bike trailer.
I am awaiting delivery of my Watermaster Kodiak 9', open bottom, closed front inflatable with an option I had never heard of: a slip on to make the boat a hard floor suitable for 2 people and better for motor use. Lots of room behind the seat for the bike and trailer.

Thanks,

Jim
jaydubp

Re: Shuttle by eBike or Bike?

Postby BrownBear » March 4th, 2016, 11:27 am

Never considered hauling a bike on the boat, mostly because it would be in the way all the time. Instead we go first to the haul out and chain a bike to a tree. Friends who do longer floats have swapped their bike for an old Honda 90 Trail Bike, also chained to a tree.
BrownBear

Postby NorcalBob » March 4th, 2016, 11:30 am

I do lots of shuttles with my bike, especially on the valley rivers where it's easy to do so. But, I do not carry my bike on my raft/toon. I don't understand the benefit of floating with a lot of extra weight and bulk (other than the fact stuff probably won't get stolen, which is not a concern for me since I don't float alone and my buddy guards all the junk). I drop the bike at my takeout location and chain her up to something secure. I then drive up to the put-in, float my way down, and ride the bike back up to my put in to fetch my truck, throw the bike in the truck, and go fetch my raft.
NorcalBob

Postby jaydubp » March 5th, 2016, 9:56 am

Why do I want to take the bike with me on the boat? I am thinking about being in a Sprinter style RV without a car. To be able to leave the RV at a campground and use the bike & trailer to go to put in and from take out.
jaydubp

Postby BrownBear » March 5th, 2016, 11:05 am

You'll have to leave the camp to pick up the raft anyway, so why not do it before the trip too, in order to stash the bike? Same same.
BrownBear

Postby flyster » March 6th, 2016, 8:28 am

" Boy it's going to be really hard not to do this again tomorrow!!"
flyster

Postby Benny » March 6th, 2016, 11:19 am

A stashed mountain bike chained to a tree is a good idea. If you don't want to leave the pontoon behind while fetching your vehicle on the mountain bike, depending on the size of the water craft, there are bike cargo carts that might be able to work for you.

You might be able to modify a bike cart for carrying kids into a cargo cart, depends on craftiness/creativeness. It shouldn't be to hard to do. You could pick up a used one for cheap at local yard sales, that would save you some cash if you don't have one already. Most kids cart break down fairly flat for easy storage.
Benny

Postby BrownBear » March 6th, 2016, 12:34 pm

Benny wrote:A stashed mountain bike chained to a tree is a good idea. If you don't want to leave the pontoon behind while fetching your vehicle on the mountain bike, depending on the size of the water craft, there are bike cargo carts that might be able to work for you.

In the setting described, another alternative would be to launch the raft at camp, then drive to the haulout and pedal back, chaining the bike to hold your campsite. No leaving the bike untended all day, chained or not.
BrownBear

Return to General Fly Fishing