REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Parachutes?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Parachutes?

Postby Fishin LA » March 2nd, 2009, 11:28 pm

Hey guys, i recently went on a one dayer to a local creek. Wild fish were rising everywhere and taking bwo's off the surface. I repeatedly threw a parachute BWO at them without any luck. I then switched to a parachute adams and had similiar results. I had a few nudges, but nothing was really taking them. The second i switched to a classic adams, i started killing them. When i lost that, i used a yellow humy w/o a parachute and continued to catch fish. Has anyone else had any experience with fish rejecting fly's with parachutes?
Fishin LA

Re: Parachutes?

Postby darrin terry » March 2nd, 2009, 11:52 pm

Yeah, it happens. Just means the fish want the dry not the emerger, which is after all what a parachute style is. ;)
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby NorcalBob » March 3rd, 2009, 9:02 am

As Darrin said, the more arrows (flies) you have in your quiver (vest), the better your chances of success in finding something the fish want to eat. However, I must say I catch far more fish on parachute patterns than I do on traditional dries. In fact, I rarely tye traditional dry flies any longer. I always fish parachute dries as my first choice! :twisted:
NorcalBob

Postby rayfound » March 3rd, 2009, 9:12 am

NorcalBob wrote:As Darrin said, the more arrows (flies) you have in your quiver (vest), the better your chances of success in finding something the fish want to eat. However, I must say I catch far more fish on parachute patterns than I do on traditional dries. In fact, I rarely tye traditional dry flies any longer. I always fish parachute dries as my first choice! :twisted:

I'm in the same boat, at least for terrestrials, adams, BWO.... But I will say I have a few flies that the Parachute version is not nearly as good, for whatever reason. I can, for the life of me, catch a fish on a parachute Royal Wulff, but the Standards is a go-to attractor pattern for me....You know what, maybe I don't have a handful, maybe just the one... but seriously, Para Royal Wulffs are worthless as far as I'm concerned.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby tyingfool » March 3rd, 2009, 9:28 am

As Bob said all I tie are para's.It is my go-to fly.Size 18 para anything.

David
Aspire to inspire before you expire.
tyingfool

Postby Flyjunkie » March 3rd, 2009, 10:03 am

Oh yeah, I've noticed plenty of times that Trout will refuse a Parachute but take a traditional version.. Various reasons why this happens..: as already mentioned the trout are not on Emergers but full blown adults.. (thought Parachutes also imitate Drowned Duns and do a fair imitation of Spinners at times). Traditionals work well imitating Duns trying to fly away and the Trout see them as Food getting away, so they move at them faster at times. I fish Traditional Dryflies often and continue to get action with them... a Must have in My humble opinion. ;)

I'd Strongly recommend getting a copy of Gary LaFontaine's "Must Read" tome The Dry Fly, New Angles and read it carefully and repeatedly. Gary offers up alot of Sound and solid information regarding dryflies and the entire Book will Radically Improve Your overall fishing... Certainly a Book that belongs in Every Flyfishers Library.. ;)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby Fishin LA » March 3rd, 2009, 10:27 am

Thanks for the info everyone.Im heading out next weekend and will let you know how i do.
Fishin LA

Postby Papasequoia » March 3rd, 2009, 10:33 am

I sometimes tie on two dries, at least one of them either a parachute or a larger fly of some kind so that I can see the smaller, trailing fly. Basically, the larger and/or parachute fly is like an indicator. I find it hard to see smaller, non-parachute flies, so that is what works for me. Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby dna » March 3rd, 2009, 10:40 am

What about when you are staring at 20+ inch fish rising everywhere and you try your whole box of dries, both parachute and trad, and they refuse everything...? :o I usually cry myself to sleep that night in my sleeping bag... :oops:

I agree with Bob. I almost always tye parachutes and they are my go to especially in the adams version. Although, I do keep enough traditionals for the occasion as Dean stated.

Don't give up on the parachutes! It is most likely you are getting better drifts with the traditionals for whatever reason or the aforementioned thought that the fish are keying in on a certian stage.
dna

Postby Flyjunkie » March 3rd, 2009, 2:47 pm

dna wrote:What about when you are staring at 20+ inch fish rising everywhere and you try your whole box of dries, both parachute and trad, and they refuse everything...? :o I usually cry myself to sleep that night in my sleeping bag... :oops:

I tye on a Streamer and give the Big one it's desired "Steak & Potatoes".... ;) ;)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby stanbery » March 5th, 2009, 4:20 am

Flyjunkie wrote:
dna wrote:What about when you are staring at 20+ inch fish rising everywhere and you try your whole box of dries, both parachute and trad, and they refuse everything...? :o I usually cry myself to sleep that night in my sleeping bag... :oops:

I tye on a Streamer and give the Big one it's desired "Steak & Potatoes".... ;) ;)

Same here.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby dna » March 5th, 2009, 10:55 am

:o you might as well tye on a panther martin and call it a day...hehe

only kidding. streamers rule!
dna

Postby midger » March 5th, 2009, 11:42 am

It's all good. On any given day, any fly is likely to be cold or hot, but I will grant that one will consistently catch larger fish on streamers/minnow imitations than you will on dries, nymphs, or midge patterns. Just depends on whether you want numbers or trophies, eh?

I also like parachute patterns, but often find that a different stage of the bugs will be more effective. Watch the riseforms. No trout snouts breaking the surface? Surface dries won't be as effective as the trout are feeding subsurface on emergers or pupating larva like an RS2, zebra, Cripple, etc.

Full trout snouts--switch to a spinner pattern like a standard dry or parachute. Just my opinion, but it works for me.

And if you want the biggies, throw a nice big streamer at the undercut banks early or late in the day.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby 209er » March 5th, 2009, 9:05 pm

Randy, don't even think about it! :D 209er
209er

Postby Rollincast » March 5th, 2009, 10:01 pm

209er wrote:Randy, don't even think about it! :D 209er

Sorry, Cliff. Already dug out the Bunny Leaches. See ya Wed. :D :D :D :D

Randy
Always looking for brownie points
Rollincast