REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Lower Owens

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Lower Owens

Postby fly addict » March 21st, 2016, 6:04 pm

For those of you who were planing a trip to the L O, you might want to wait for next year. The flows are at 150 and climbing. As for the fishing, it does not get any better. I'll let Jim post a report if he is inclined to do so!
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Re: Lower Owens

Postby stanbery » March 21st, 2016, 8:00 pm

Mark
what a tease. Jim called me and he said you guys had a great time.
Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby flybob » March 22nd, 2016, 9:14 am

I agree on the "TEASE"

Yes I too talked to Jim, he said he actually kept pace with you! :mrgreen:

You are a good teacher, "Master Allen"
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Wildman » March 23rd, 2016, 8:31 pm

Funny....when I see that in writing-it gives me pause. Three days after years of fishing together and being mentored was something that I had always dreamed about. Fishing this trip was like hitting Lower Trestles at six feet....slight offshore....medium tide and no one out.

I am downloading photos and writing as you read.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby John Harper » March 24th, 2016, 6:03 am

Wildman wrote: Fishing this trip was like hitting Lower Trestles at six feet....slight offshore....medium tide and no one out.

Jim,

Did not realize you were also a surfer. We'll have to share stories some time.

I'm headed up there on April 3, hope the river doesn't rise too much before then.

John
John Harper

Postby Wildman » March 24th, 2016, 8:50 am

Yep. At one time, had a quiver that ranged from 6'6" Lightning Bolt to a tandem board. Fortunate to have known some of the early pioneers and innovators. Things change and we got into horses and a sailboat and there wasn't enough time in the day. Still have two wet suits...that may or may not fit.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby John Harper » March 24th, 2016, 8:58 am

Wildman wrote:Yep. At one time, had a quiver that ranged from 6'6" Lightning Bolt to a tandem board. Fortunate to have known some of the early pioneers and innovators. Things change and we got into horses and a sailboat and there wasn't enough time in the day. Still have two wet suits...that may or may not fit.

I still have a old 9'6" Robertson Sweet made in 1958 that I learned on. Also have a modern 9'0" rounded pintail I still get out on occasionally, mainly summers now. I also got to meet some legends when I was in the Dewey Weber contest at Manhattan Beach in 1984.

John
John Harper

Postby duckdog » March 24th, 2016, 4:47 pm

Hey Jim, what year was your Bolt made? Reason I ask is that I shaped for Lightning Bolt for a few years. Did some color work and glassed on alot of fins for them too.
duckdog

Postby Wildman » March 24th, 2016, 5:14 pm

I bought the board used from the Hobie shop in DP sometime when I came back from Viet Nam but before I was married (72). It was a 6'10" burnt orange-single color top and bottom...single fin and did have Jerry's signature to the right of the bolt. Most of my boards were long boards (had a custom Phil Edwards that rode like a rocket) that Phil shaped... a couple of Mickey Munoz boards (one an incredible nose rider that would just let you drift forever on the tip) and even had a Morey Pope Eliminator. The Tandem board was used to go jug fishing at San Onofre and get the kids started. I keep promising to get back down there and ride a few before I can't paddle outside anymore.
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby duckdog » March 25th, 2016, 8:23 am

Very cool, do you still have any of those boards. I had a 6'9" single fin that Gerry shaped. Great board, rode the heck out of it , destroyed it really, then gave it away. I wish that I still had that one. Surfboards are kind of funny that way. By that I mean, you love the good ones but a bill needs to be paid or a car needs some repair and so you sell off even the ones you love. Then years later you wish that you would have found another way to pay that bill or fix that car. I"ll bet that your Edwards and Munoz's were just beauties . I hope that you can get out there soon.
Mike
duckdog

Return to General Fly Fishing