REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

"I got something back".

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

"I got something back".

Postby flyster » April 30th, 2016, 7:21 am

No fishing this morning for me. Just too much work. I had to go in today but spent a few minutes snooping around and found this http://globalflyfisher.com/video/30-reasons-trailer. Makes one think how lucky most are.
" Boy it's going to be really hard not to do this again tomorrow!!"
flyster

Re: "I got something back".

Postby FIGHTONSC » April 30th, 2016, 7:40 am

That video sure helps to reset our perspective on our everyday life!

Makes you appreciate just how fortunate most of us are and how we often discount this fortune!

Thanks for providing some insight!

Regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby Wildman » April 30th, 2016, 9:51 am

My firefighter paramedic became a quad below the chest after a motorcycle jump. He as adapted very well to his new reality but it was a long and difficult journey. Amazing production values on this series.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby FlyKastr » April 30th, 2016, 3:11 pm

FIGHTONSC wrote:That video sure helps to reset our perspective on our everyday life!

Makes you appreciate just how fortunate most of us are and how we often discount this fortune!

Agree, seeing this reveals how awareness can diminish and allow abilities to be overlooked. We’re fortunate when someone’s passion and determination uncovers this.
FlyKastr
FlyKastr

Postby 1mocast » April 30th, 2016, 8:39 pm

Thanks for sharing that. We need to count our blessings every day since you just don't know what tomorrow brings.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Jimbo Roberts » May 5th, 2016, 8:45 am

You need passion to keep going when things get tough.
It is cool that they were able to figure out how to make that glove that allows him to hold the rod.
You've got to love people that will figure out how others can keep going.
I don't have it nearly as tough as this man, but I had another one of those revelations this past weekend.

For me it's "What will you do to get to the mountains to fish for Cutthroats?"

I was mowing the lawn, I was half-way through the back yard.
I felt as if I was overheating and it was only about 80 degrees outside.
The sweat was pouring off of me. I decided to come inside and cool off.
I sat down at the dining room table when I felt that familiar grabbing deep inside my chest.
I was having another heart attack,..... a really bad one this time.

When it started I knew I needed to get to the hospital as quickly as possible, there was no riding this one out like last year. The N.E. Baptist Hospital is 10 miles away. No 911 call, no waiting for the ambulance to arrive, jump in the car and drive like mad,..... Time is the enemy. I got to the emergency room and was placed directly into the examination room. Stints go in both arms and later my crouch. Electrocardiograms, blood tests, more tests,..... and after writhing there for about 30 minutes the head nurse said in jest, "I think you're having a heart attack". We had to wait for the surgeon to arrive. He was completing another surgery on another heart patient. I was there waiting,..... seconds passed like days, waves after waves of pain washed through me coming and going, waiting till I could be wheeled in the operating room. Just keep breathing, just let my heart keep beating till I could get into surgery, just keep those eyes open, thinking about dryfly fishing to distract me from the moment. Finally the doctor and his team arrived, he had not eaten since breakfast, it was 4pm, I would be his third surgery of the day, anesthesia was authorized. I was wheeled into surgery. There, fully awake, I was able to watch the monitors as the doctor found the problem areas. He asked his students in his team if they saw what was wrong and what to do about it. I was a teaching experience. They placed 3 new stints in my chest. 3 hours after it had begun I was being wheeled into a private room to rest and recover. Someday a heart attack will kill me, my genetics suck, but not this day. No I've got a date high in the mountains this summer to chase my beloved Cutthroats with big bushy attractors on top. Maybe this year I will be able to land that 28" Cutthroat. The doctors at least gave me another chance.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby lucfish » May 5th, 2016, 11:32 am

Damm Jimbo.
lucfish

Postby Bernard » May 6th, 2016, 7:47 am

I had a pretty nasty hand injury a few months ago. It may never heal the same but it is 95%+ functional at this point. This includes fishing, guitars, driving etc. = all doable. Now and then I whine and complain yet I also try to slap myself and count my blessing. I welcome the reminders that there are many people out there facing far greater greater adversity than I and are far braver and stronger. Thanks for the post.
B
Bernard

Postby tomsakai » May 6th, 2016, 11:26 am

Wow Jimbo. Good thing you recognized the signs. Hope you get back on the water soon. Tom.
tomsakai

Postby FlyKastr » May 6th, 2016, 11:45 am

Jimbo Roberts wrote:Maybe this year I will be able to land that 28" Cutthroat. The doctors at least gave me another chance.

One thing I’ve noticed since joining FFA is that many here live out the saying, “In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.”

Jimbo, Glad you got through that ordeal and best wishes to bag THE cutthroat and then some.
FlyKastr
FlyKastr

Postby flybob » May 6th, 2016, 12:27 pm

Jimbo, knock it off!
You remind me of my dad......3X survivor!
Angioplasty, Stents, meds.....etc.

Glad to hear you are OK....again!

Here is to the miracles of modern medicine!
And your impromptu lesson to those new cardio doctors!

Yes....we are all blessed, when it gets down to it, in this world today, the cards are stacked against us!
I know it sounds kind of stupid for "Modern" Man, but I always remind people that the human body is not designed to live much past 50!
Every day is a gift!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby FIGHTONSC » May 7th, 2016, 8:41 am

Jimbo Roberts wrote:I was having another heart attack,..... a really bad one this time.

Someday a heart attack will kill me, my genetics suck, but not this day. No I've got a date high in the mountains this summer to chase my beloved Cutthroats with big bushy attractors on top. Maybe this year I will be able to land that 28" Cutthroat. The doctors at least gave me another chance.

Jimbo

"I got something back" applies to you Jimbo! Thank God and your doctors, that you still have a few more tickets left to punch and wild Cutties to catch!

Get well soon, Jimbo.....summer will soon be bearing down upon us and the Rockies are once again calling your name!

Best regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby briansII » May 9th, 2016, 9:39 am

Yikes! Scary stuff Jimbo. Get well quick. Looking forward to many more trip reports from you.

briansII
briansII

Return to General Fly Fishing