REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

To Dry Fly or Die?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: To Dry Fly or Die?

Postby midger » June 29th, 2016, 8:55 pm

Very interesting discussion. I've been out of the loop for the past few months prepping a home to sell and helping insure a daughter's wedding went off with as few problems as possible, as it was located in the hinderlands of Idaho where the nearest "real" community is 54 miles away. Hopefully now I can get back to throwing flies, be they dry, wet, nymphs or streamers.

Those who know me and have fished with me know that I'm primarily a nymph/midge type of guy, but I also throw streamers early and late in the day, as well as dries during hatches or when fish are rising. For me the tug is the drug and I use whatever means necessary to get that tug. I don't throw up my snoot at any method of fly fishing and will use whichever method works best for the period I'm fishing. This may mean skating large dries for steelhead in October, nymphs in December, dries during a BWO hatch, etc. I see absolutely no need to limit myself to only one method of fishing but I primarily fish the way fish feed and most of what I've experienced is that they fish subsurface so............

Fish the way you want to fish, but respect others' rights to fish the way they want to fish. It's all good.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Re: To Dry Fly or Die?

Postby FlyKastr » July 1st, 2016, 8:32 pm

I have nothing to contribute here (too inexperienced), but have truly enjoyed reading these posts. Your opinions, perspectives, and experiences are instructive, illuminating, and convey valuable wisdom. Thank you for dialogue that reinforces the generous and respectful nature of fly fishing. It is beneficial to others and is appreciated.
FlyKastr
FlyKastr

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing