REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Epic 686 rod?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Epic 686 rod?

Postby rkfiske » July 12th, 2016, 7:39 am

Anybody on the forum have this rod? Been wanting to try it out and was hoping maybe somebody down here had one.
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Re: Epic 686 rod?

Postby WanderingBlues » July 12th, 2016, 8:15 am

I just fished a buddy's 476 on Sunday, so I can comment to a few things that should be applicable to the 686. First, fit and finish on their factory sticks is impeccable. I fished an olive blank with the ti reel seat. It was a visual stunner. Wraps were clean; no bubbles anywhere.

The fast glass is sweet. Comparable Echo glass and faster than Orvis and Redington. The 476 loaded nice and cast well to about 40'. Beyond that, it was my fault. In the hands of someone with skill, I'm sure it could get out a bit more.

It also leader cast real well. You didn't need even a foot of line out to flop a fly into a small pocket. And, I caught an 8" wild brown on it and it was a delight to tug on it- it transmitted vibration and feedback real well.

The only down side I can see is the price. If you're a glass guy, you gotta have it. If you're looking to jump into glass, I'd go Echo at 1/3 or less of the cost with most of the performance.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby DarkShadow » July 12th, 2016, 9:38 am

DarkShadow

Postby rkfiske » July 12th, 2016, 10:51 am

Thanks Curtis, I'm thinking of building one up. I'll see if I can test cast an echo.i do like my carbon 2wt by them!

Thanks darkshadow, that's a great price!
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby Gila Trout » August 11th, 2016, 5:25 pm

Hello,
I have a 686 and think it is one of the most versatile fly rods I have ever fished in any material. Small fish are fun and big fish are a blast. It will handle full sinking lines as well as indicators and multiple fly rigs. It fishes size 4 to 20 flies equally well. Orvis also makes a very nice 8' 6" 6 wt. and its' cheaper than the Epic. James Green of James Green Fly rods and Dusty Smith of the Livingston Rod Co. also has some very nice 8' 6" glass 5 and 6 wts. There is a site that is all about fishing, building and discussing glass fly rods. Go to Fiberglass Fly Rodders, there are pages of discussion about the 686. Right now there is a new Orvis Superfine Glass 8'6" 6 wt. for sale for $325.00 which is a pretty good deal.

Lanny
Gila Trout

Return to General Fly Fishing