REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Kudos To One Of Our Own.

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Kudos To One Of Our Own.

Postby briansII » July 14th, 2016, 12:56 pm

I half expected NOT to get my Summer Edition of The Drake(running joke on poor distribution), but it arrived yesterday. I ripped the shipping plastic off, and flipped though the rag to find a specific story. Bunch of pages filled with stuff about trout, steelhead, permit, yadda yadda. You know, trash fish. THEN I found it! A bass fishing story from our very own Papa Sequoia. An expertly written story I might add. Great read, that I wished went on for a few more pages. Jon, you need to write a book. Congrats on the publish!

By the way. Years ago I sent off a subscription to The Dake, but never received a copy, or was charged for it. I'm glade I decided to try again. It's a high quality FFing magazine. I let all my other FFing magazine subscriptions lapse, but I'll keep this one.

briansII
briansII

Re: Kudos To One Of Our Own.

Postby WanderingBlues » July 14th, 2016, 1:25 pm

We are in the presence of greatness.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby lucfish » July 14th, 2016, 2:38 pm

Haven't seen this one yet, but John wrote a few years ago about our first time steelheading together and it was very well written. I expect this one won't dissapoint either and yes he should write a book.
lucfish

Postby rayfound » July 14th, 2016, 8:20 pm

Ah cool, Jon was talking about this one when I had dinner with him Last month.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby rkfiske » July 14th, 2016, 8:58 pm

rayfound wrote:Ah cool, Jon was talking about this one when I had dinner with him Last month.

Yup! Now I need to nab a copy!
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby flybob » July 15th, 2016, 11:36 am

I have been encouraging Jon to write a book for some time now!

I have had the opportunity to read some of his submissions prior to the drastic editing that needs to happen....a lot of his innuendo gets lost!

Congrats Jon!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby tomsakai » July 15th, 2016, 5:40 pm

And I thought that Jon only fishedfor trout and steelhead. Congrats Jon on getting published!
tomsakai

Postby Papasequoia » July 20th, 2016, 7:24 pm

Thanks, guys! I have been out of Internet range for a couple of weeks and just getting caught up now. The Drake really is a top notch FF mag - not at all like the forum. It is also the only one I still get. And yes, I have fished for something besides trout and steelhead - this story was about my first bass fishing adventure in 40 years and the memories it brought back. It also happens to be about the trip where I finally met Brian for the first time after many years of a wireless friendship. :lol: Two more weeks to go on this road trip and then I will have to sit for a bit and write up a report on Colorado browns, Yellowstone grayling and grizzlies and whatever else pops up. :D Jon
PS They sell the mag in some fly shops, like the one in Mammoth, and it is sold at Barnes and Noble.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Return to General Fly Fishing