REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Suggestions for 4 piece 6/7/8 weight rod

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Suggestions for 4 piece 6/7/8 weight rod

Postby Ants » July 26th, 2016, 8:30 am

Although I am quite happy with my existing 6/7 weight rods, all of them are two piece so the tube becomes a hazard while backpacking with them. The inventory includes:
A pair of JK Fishers rods
A Sage bass rod
A T & T 7/8 weight graphite.

I don't cast a lot of rods or spend much time reading about them. However, I gladly take advise from the folks who put in the effort to know what is available.

The rod would be used when hiking into Kern Lakes area or higher elevation Sierra lakes where hiking or backpacking is required. There are plenty of rod options in the 4 wt and under category that pack easily.

I would appreciate any suggestions for 4 piece 6 or 7 weight rods. An 8 wt would be a lesser choice, but if there are good reasons to consider one, I would be glad to hear them.

The rod would be more general purpose for dries, nymphs or streamers. Nothing too specialized. New or used rods are considered. If you have one to sell, please include that also.

Thanks!
Ants
Ants

Re: Suggestions for 4 piece 6/7/8 weight rod

Postby flybob » July 26th, 2016, 5:02 pm

Ants, although not a "Famous" name brand, the Cabela's 6 piece Stowaway series of rods offer plenty of options at a good value. And they are very decent rods in the casting category, quite fast actually. Obviously in a 6 piece rod you are going to get some stiffness!

I have the 8' 3wt and a couple of the 7' 6" 4wts, which is the shortest packing in at 15".
I have one of these set up in a permanent 3 piece configuration and have caught numerous Large Mouth Bass with it...it is not a light weight rod by any stretch of the imagination and has a serious backbone!

here is one of them:
So I can only imagine what you could haul in with the 6 wt!

Here is a link,
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... 732371.uts

Apparently they are on sale right now and they do come with a nice codura tube.

And if you would like to borrow one of them, I would be more than happy to lend it to you, with reel and line if required.
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby BrownBear » July 26th, 2016, 10:15 pm

For trout and light bass with 6's and 7's, I'm especially fond of the 4-piece Temple Fork BVK. Just an incredible mix of smooth and power, while mixing in delicacy when you need it. Almost anyone who has cast ours quickly buys their own.

For banging out tough casts or long casts with bigger flies or wind, then fighting tougher fish, give me the Temple Fork TiCRX any day. They like aggressive lines like the Rio Outbounds and Outbound Shorts, which are in truth about half a line weight over standard. Terrific line speed and power for tight loops and long casts with big flies, yet plenty powerful enough for salmon and steelhead while light in the hand. This winter Jan started out with a 10WT for baby tarpon running from 2# up to 25-30#, dropped to an 8WT, then spent the rest of the trip with her beloved TiCRX 7WT. She didn't suffer near the arm fatigue from casting all day, yet she landed at least as many fish as we did with the heavier rods. Following her smart example, I quickly dropped from the 10WT to my preferred 8WT TiCRX.
BrownBear

Postby briansII » July 27th, 2016, 12:59 pm

Rods that *I* like in the 6-7wt range are. And since I have not been interested in a new 6-7wt in several years, most of these are discontinued. Scott STS. Sage XP. Sage SP. Winston BIIx. Redington CPS. St Croix Legend. Sage One. TFO BVK. Cabelas LSi. I've tried a bunch more, but these are the ones I own or would choose to buy for TROUT. When I think of 8wt I think of fish other than trout, and a much more powerful, stiffer rod. Not to say I wouldn't use an 8wt for trout. I have, but it would not be a general purpose tool for them.

briansII
briansII

Postby Ants » July 28th, 2016, 7:26 am

Thanks for the replies.

As I read the replies, my thinking about the next rod is evolving. When many of the classic rods suggested by Brian were introduced, I was not even thinking about fly fishing. Many of my current rods come from the past 20-30 years so I have fun seeing what I missed at the time. The TFO suggestions are one of the few modern rods that get my attention. The TFO are supported by a Finesse that gives me great service. The mass produced and marketed rods don't hold much appeal. I would rather drive an old Porsche instead of a new Hyundai (to use an automotive analogy). Luckily, older fly rods don't come with the same maintenance costs as an old Porsche.

There are a handful of used flyrod sites I check. The lusty teasers are rods like a Leonard graphite or a Winston (made in SF), all in the weight and sections I am looking for and in the general budget range.

Of course, when I check on reels, there is even more fun even though I think I have that covered with existing inventory.

Ants
Ants

Postby FIGHTONSC » July 29th, 2016, 7:40 am

Ants,

As some of you are aware, Cabela's recently hired me as a senior outfitter for their Boise fly shop. With that being said, this opportunity allows me to get a strong daily pulse on the fly rods, reels and support equipment being used by the large number of fly anglers up here in the trout belt. Plus, it's a fun and interesting retirement job, far different from my engineering career.

BrownBear is correct about the TFO's being well designed and value-priced rods. They are also very popular for their unconditional guarantee and no questions asked policy. They do require a $30.00 fee for shipping and handling, but will either replace the broken section or replace the rod in it's entirety. I'm told that their repair service is very responsive as compared to several other well-known brands.

Currently TFO is offering an upgraded version of their Pro Series Rod, called the Professional Series II ($199.99). Right now, Cabela's is discounting the Pro Series rods in stock (online internet special) to $99.99 (normally $159.99) in four piece, nine foot 5 and 6 weights and four piece 8'6" 5 weights rods. This is a great deal for a very nice handling mid budget fly rod. This rod has a "Medium fast" action with the 6 weight having enough backbone to handle everything up here except our larger Bull Trout.

Too make the deal even sweeter, if you use the code 76SHIP the shipping will only cost you five bucks!

Hope to see some of you addicts stop by the Boise Store when heading up to fish Montana, Idaho or Wyoming.

Tight lines and best regards from Kansas,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby Ants » July 29th, 2016, 2:10 pm

A decision has been made and the rod is expected to arrive on Monday. The steps along the way we're entertaining.

I enjoy history. This flyrod was never included in any Yellowstone Shootout for objective testing. I can also forget about any factory warranty.

The used high end notable rods suggested by Brian all fell into a range about $350. I guess that is what the market will bear. The TFO's will be under the $300 mark and come well supported with a warranty. Also, a TFO can be picked up at any time. TFO was a solid second choice, but I was also very curious as to what I missed in Flyrods before I started fly fishing.

My criteria was 4 piece, and 6 or 7 weight. (My 2 piece rod tube hooked way too many branches while backpacking).
The usual makers were well represented in 4-5 used rods websites I follow. The Sage 389 was offered several times, but similar rods in 6 or 7 weight were not offered. The same for Loomis and Scott.

One site offered three H Leonard graphite Flyrods in three options. All were new! Apparently, when the IRS seized the assets of the H Leonard Company, the president had a way to get parts out before the locks were turned. Rods were built, including a 8' 4 wt, an 8.5' 6 wt and a 9' 1" 6/7 wt. All the Leonard identifying pieces are built into the three builds. With a 30 percent summer sale, the three rods were price equally to the Sages, Scott's, and Loomis ones. My choice was the 9' 1" 6/7 wt.

There may be some lingering DNA from the first bamboo hexagon flyrods built by Hal Leonard. I like to think that is the case. The story line is interesting and I need to follow up some details from the seller.

Now it is time to tie some half-pounder flies for the Rogue River in a week or so and get ready to put the new toy into action.

I don't know about others, but after a couple iterations of looking at options, I settle into a decision I am very comfortable with.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions that got me to the end.

Ants
Ants

Return to General Fly Fishing