REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

cane pole tenkara need answers fast!!!!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

cane pole tenkara need answers fast!!!!

Postby Wanderer » August 20th, 2016, 1:21 pm

wow> I was just going through a collection of old bamboo and early fiber gals fly rods and I discovered that My wife and bought me at an antique store an old cane pole Tenkara style. No real handle but aluminum sleeves where the rod segment attach length is about 12 feet. it is varnished.

Here is the question Should I fish it or not?
leaving tomorrow morning
Wanderer

Re: cane pole tenkara need answers fast!!!!

Postby John Harper » August 20th, 2016, 5:32 pm

If it looks like it works, why not take it along. Probably does not add much weight to the gear. It's good to mix it up a bit.

You're in Encinitas? Close by. Good luck!

John
John Harper

Re: cane pole tenkara need answers fast!!!!

Postby Dry Fly Rie » August 20th, 2016, 7:39 pm

You should absolutely take it! I grew up fishing on 9-12 foot cane poles. In fact, I kept using it into my early teens because I was so much more efficient with it than an actual fly rod and reel. The water I fished rarely required a "cast" of longer than 15-20 feet, so I simply tied on some tippet that was the same length as the rod and I could reach around 20 feet away from me. It was the perfect no-frills method for catching fish.

Selfishly, I absolutely loved the look on other peoples' faces when they were decked out in their $1,000 high-end fly gear and they couldn't keep pace with me in my board shorts and cane pole.

I hope it works for you.
Dry Fly Rie

Return to General Fly Fishing