REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Sage X

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Sage X

Postby BrownBear » August 20th, 2016, 9:35 pm

Had the opportunity to cast a Sage 890-4 X for about an hour today. Gotta say it's the first Sage that's impressed me in quite a while. It was parking lot casting with an unknown WF8 "shop" line that had suffered from previous asphalt adventures, but the rod simply didn't care. It easily picked up 40-45' of line off the ground, and with a single back cast threw an unbelievably smooth loop forward to reach 80'-85' almost without effort. Best of all, it was superbly accurate all the way out there. Both the shop owner and I were landing our casts within inches of called targets at all ranges, but the long accuracy was the most notable. Shorten the line up to 30', and the rod still registered "true" to line weight and handled that well. Seems like a really versatile and forgiving rod that will be useful for all sorts of things.

I have never been a 100% fan of the Sage One, in spite of casting and fishing lots of them. I just never could bring myself to reach into my wallet, mostly because the last couple of feet of the tip always seemed too soft for the spine or body of the blank. Lay a little extra on it for distance or to hook a cast at longer range, and the soft tip would collapse. Fine rod for moderate ranges, but problematic at longer ranges where I need extra performance.

Not so the X. We never really stretched it out to see just how far it would cast, but I'm confident that with the right line not chewed up by a parking lot, it would be pretty easy for me to threaten or surpass 100'. Can't make that claim about the One with any line I've tried, and the One is certainly no competitor of the X for accuracy except at lots closer ranges. Nice to note that the X seems a least as light and easy on the arm as the One.

Didn't reach for my wallet, but I'm already starting to feel a little haunted by the X.
BrownBear

Re: Sage X

Postby lucfish » August 20th, 2016, 9:49 pm

That's quite the writeup. I will need to give it a throw or two, although it would be hard to put down that kind of dough. One never knows though.
lucfish

Postby BrownBear » August 20th, 2016, 10:18 pm

lucfish wrote:...it would be hard to put down that kind of dough. One never knows though.

There you have it, the reason I drove home without it. But dang.... I keep feeling that rod in my hand and watching the line loop floating out there like a dream. :doh:
BrownBear

Postby WanderingBlues » August 21st, 2016, 6:18 am

I threw it at the South Platte Fly Shop. It's a sweet stick, but the price is just too high. On the bright side, if you like the Sage One (like I do), they were blowing out inventory at 40% off. I'm sure they' are on Madison River Fly Co.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby k9mark » August 21st, 2016, 8:27 am

I got a smoke in' deal on a 486-4 One when the rumors hit about the X coming out.
"...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have Heroes..." .....Best partner I ever had ------------->
k9mark

Postby BrownBear » August 24th, 2016, 5:22 pm

Okay, I quit dithering and bought the thing! My wife got tired of my pondering and ORDERED me to do it. Now all I have to do is keep it out of her hands. Seems like she ends up claiming about every other fly rod that comes through the door. I sense a pattern, here.

Funny thing is, the shop owner I was casting with bought one, too. He said he was laying there in bed losing sleep thinking about it. His wife told him to buy the darned rod or move to the couch so she could get some sleep.

Fishing reports to come. It's come through the door just in time for coho season, and they're running big this year. Been stormy and windy 5 days out of 7 each week so far, so the X is going to get a thorough workout. Yay! :bananadance:
BrownBear

Postby lucfish » August 24th, 2016, 6:29 pm

Cool, what weight rod?
lucfish

Postby BrownBear » August 24th, 2016, 7:51 pm

It's the 4-piece, 9' 8-weight. Feels lighter than a lot of 7WTs and even 6WTs in the hand, but it's perfect with a standard 8-weight line (as compared to those half a line size bigger such as the Outbounds). Kind of a neat sensation to have one that's smoother than bamboo, yet light and powerful. Okay, I'll shudup, but you can tell I'm jazzed. Been a looong time since I felt that way about a Sage.
BrownBear

Postby lucfish » August 24th, 2016, 9:06 pm

A guide friend who is on the Sage prostate has a couple. I'll be flinging them for steelhead this fall.
lucfish

Postby duckdog » August 25th, 2016, 8:41 am

Wow, to me it seems that the most amazing power that the X has is the power to get wives to order their husbands to buy one. I need to get Karen up to Marriots in order to get in on the X's mojo.
duckdog

Postby BrownBear » August 25th, 2016, 9:08 am

duckdog wrote:...the X has is the power to get wives to order their husbands to buy one. I need to get Karen up to Marriots in order to get in on the X's mojo.

Carefully plan your whine and whimper campaign. It helps! :bananadance:
BrownBear

Postby briansII » August 25th, 2016, 9:37 am

Congrats on the new rod. Glade to hear a positive, firsthand review, and NOT some advertising hype.

In no way am I interested in another fly rod, and in particular ANOTHER 8wt, but...... Last season I downsized from 9wts to 8wts for some of my striper fishing. It was surprising that I could immediately feel the difference in rod and line weight. I ain't getting any younger, and if it makes my day more enjoyable.............. :roll:

briansII
briansII

Postby BrownBear » August 25th, 2016, 10:30 am

briansII wrote:Last season I downsized from 9wts to 8wts for some of my striper fishing. It was surprising that I could immediately feel the difference in rod and line weight. I ain't getting any younger, and if it makes my day more enjoyable.............. :roll:

Glad I'm not the only one. Last spring I did all my tarpon fishing with 10Wts, even with a rack of 12's and 14's within reach. Breaking them off after a few jumps anyway, so why beat my aging body up with the heavier gear. After even a day of tossing the 10's, it sure felt good to drop to an 8 and go back into the mangroves for smaller critters, too.

Geezer? Me? :bananadance:
BrownBear

Postby acorad » August 25th, 2016, 11:38 am

I threw a couple dozen casts on the tarmac with the 8wt X a couple weeks ago, and I also noticed how light it was in the hand. Crazy light!

Not that I have much experience with 8 wts as I've only ever cast one other (my old tried and true Redington 8 wt that Ive cast probably 10,000+ times) but compared to my Redington the X was definitely much smoother and I got significantly more distance with less effort. Also seemed really accurate at the 20' - 30' corbina-in-the-skinny range that I spent the summer focused on.

And it's a 4-piece which makes it much more convenient than my 2 pc Redington.

Very nice!

Andy
acorad

Postby k9mark » August 25th, 2016, 11:58 am

Oh c'mon guys! This rod will have to have George Andersons blessing before you buy it! :funnyup:
"...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have Heroes..." .....Best partner I ever had ------------->
k9mark

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing