REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

I have a question for you guys.

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

What so you think I should do?

Trade it in!
17%
Sell it private party!
25%
Keep it!
50%
Other (please explain)
8%

Total votes : 12

I have a question for you guys.

Postby Sasha » March 7th, 2009, 6:30 pm

Ok here is my dilemma: I have an inexpensive 9WT setup that I got about a year ago for salmon fishing (I did not want to spend a ton of cash on it as I had never gone salmon fishing before, and I was not sure how I would like it). I broke it on my first trip out and the manufacturer sent me a brand new rod. Since then the rod has just sat in my closet and it is still new and unused. The reel and line were only used the one time and have also sat in my closet. The setup is as follows. Rod: Orvis Clearwater II 9WT 9’ 9.5 tip flex. Reel Orvis Mid Arbor Battenkill V in silver. Line: Rio Anadromous Advantage versa tip. So here is my question do I trade the setup in for something else at the shop where I bought it that I will use more often (I was not a huge fan of salmon fishing)?. Do I try to sell it private party and hope to get more money for it? Or should I keep it in the off chance that I go salmon fishing again or for surf fishing if I ever move back to the coast?
Sasha

Re: I have a question for you guys.

Postby Eric » March 7th, 2009, 7:39 pm

Save it for that trip your planning taking to alaska next year ;)
Eric
Eric

Postby Sasha » March 7th, 2009, 7:47 pm

DrCreek wrote:Quit screwin' around. Sell it on eBay for who cares what amount, then apply the proceeds to a 0wt. :D

Well as soon as I find a SPL 0WT its mine no matter what happens with the 9WT. As you know I already have a 000 and 1WT rods so I don't think I would bother getting a 0WT TXL. ;)
Sasha

Postby anacrime » March 7th, 2009, 7:56 pm

whatchu got against slt's
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby midger » March 7th, 2009, 8:54 pm

I'd sell the rod and get what I wanted and one I'd use more often, IF getting the new rod was contingent on selling the 9 weight, and IF I thought there was the remotest possibility of needing it in the future.

Just out of curiousity, what do you envision the spl ought doing that the Orvis 1 weight won't/can't do? Those seem to be pretty close in line size and length, or this just a case of I wanna? ;) :lol:
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Sasha » March 8th, 2009, 8:01 am

anacrime wrote:whatchu got against slt's

Nada I just want a SPL :D
Sasha

Postby Sasha » March 8th, 2009, 8:06 am

midger wrote:I'd sell the rod and get what I wanted and one I'd use more often, IF getting the new rod was contingent on selling the 9 weight, and IF I thought there was the remotest possibility of needing it in the future.

Just out of curiousity, what do you envision the spl ought doing that the Orvis 1 weight won't/can't do? Those seem to be pretty close in line size and length, or this just a case of I wanna? ;) :lol:

As far as the SPL 0WT it is a case of I wanna :lol:

As far as the 9WT I was just thinking that I have never used this thing so why not get something that will see more action. I have two schools of thought one is to trade it for a 3 or 4WT (as a SFB, O, MFB, etc. rod) or go the other direction and get a 6 or 7 WT (for a steelhead rod).
Sasha

Postby midger » March 8th, 2009, 8:35 am

If you don't already have a 3 or 4 weight, I'd pick one of those up first as they'd see a lot more use than the steelhead rod. Unless you have the time to go North, you'd have to wait for the November BR dumps to get must use from a heavier rod.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Sasha » March 8th, 2009, 8:53 am

Yea I currently do not have any 3 or 4WT rods. I usually will take my 5 and my 1 when I go to the O, and I took my 5 and my 000WT when I went to the SFB the last time (although I never used my 000 that day). For steelhead I do not mind going up north or even to Oregon (the RR) next fall ;) I do not fish the BR dump as it is gear head central when they do that. I guess I could always just use the 5 for steelhead and get a 3 or 4 wt :D
Sasha

Postby Papasequoia » March 8th, 2009, 12:07 pm

Sell it and anything under a 2 or 3 weight. (now give cpr to the Creek Doctor, :lol: ). Take the money and buy a Winston BIIt in a 3 weight, you won't regret it. When I get off my butt and get around to it I'll be selling my 4wt Z-Axis for another Winston in a 4 or 5 wt.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby flybob » March 8th, 2009, 12:46 pm

Sasha, I voted OTHER

One consideration is to donate it to one of the many projects out there looking for such things, one that comes to mind immediately is Project Healing Waters, There is also one for the kids through Orvis, in some cases they will give you credit towards other merchandise. AND it will make a nice tax deduction!

I donated a rod that I never used, last year to our men in IRAQ.
Just a thought,
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Sasha » March 9th, 2009, 6:47 am

Papasequoia wrote:Sell it and anything under a 2 or 3 weight. (now give cpr to the Creek Doctor, :lol: ). Take the money and buy a Winston BIIt in a 3 weight, you won't regret it. When I get off my butt and get around to it I'll be selling my 4wt Z-Axis for another Winston in a 4 or 5 wt.

But 95% of my fishing is done with my 1WT and my 000WT :? ;)
Sasha

Postby briansII » March 9th, 2009, 1:16 pm

I vote keep it. I am personally against selling any fishing equipment. They can pry my cold, dead fingers from all of my little used rods and reels. He who dies with the most toys wins.

....or something like that? :?

Keep it, and i'll take you striper fishing. :D

briansII
briansII

Postby Chris Kuhn » March 9th, 2009, 3:26 pm

briansII wrote:Keep it, and i'll take you striper fishing. :D

briansII

This is the best advice so far.
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Return to General Fly Fishing