REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

The Fly Fish Journal

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

The Fly Fish Journal

Postby katsfood » September 1st, 2016, 7:59 pm

Hey for all of you LA peeps...check out the latest issue of The Fly Fish Journal when it comes out. I wrote an article on fishing for carp in the LA River. It is actually more about LA's history with the river and what it could mean to the city in the future as an open space amenity...plus a little fly fishing time. I have pics of Greg and other friends in it. Nice being able to put a little spotlight on our local often neglected water.

Daniel
katsfood

The Fly Fish Journal

Postby Rasputinj » September 1st, 2016, 8:52 pm

Very cool looking forward to it. I need to head back out there for a carp fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Re: The Fly Fish Journal

Postby Wildman » September 1st, 2016, 9:08 pm

Funny....right now the LA river has more moving water that's fishable then any other stream or creek in SoCal. I enjoy the stark contrasts there and love seeing the wildlife that thrives along it's banks.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby DarkShadow » September 12th, 2016, 3:22 pm

Wildman wrote:Funny....right now the LA river has more moving water that's fishable then any other stream or creek in SoCal. I enjoy the stark contrasts there and love seeing the wildlife that thrives along it's banks.

I used to dig up redworms from my backyard and go out there and catch tilapia till the cholos came home.
DarkShadow

Postby dray » September 13th, 2016, 7:27 am

Cool thanks for the heads up.
dray

The Fly Fish Journal

Postby Rasputinj » September 13th, 2016, 2:52 pm

DarkShadow wrote:
Wildman wrote:Funny....right now the LA river has more moving water that's fishable then any other stream or creek in SoCal. I enjoy the stark contrasts there and love seeing the wildlife that thrives along it's banks.

I used to dig up redworms from my backyard and go out there and catch tilapia till the cholos came home.

I miss catching Tilapia at the LA river in the late 80's, I have not seen any them since I have been fishing there in the last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby DarkShadow » September 13th, 2016, 3:00 pm

Rasputinj wrote:I used to dig up redworms from my backyard and go out there and catch tilapia till the cholos came home.

I miss catching Tilapia at the LA river in the late 80's, I have not seen any them since I have been fishing there in the last year.[/quote]

That sucks...that used to be our 'trip' away from home after terrorizing the fish at Echo Park on the weekends. The T-lops where everywhere around that stretch. My friends would jump on their bikes (and me on my rollerblades since I didn't know how to ride a bike, (and still don't) and drift worms under a bobber and pick them up on every cast. We often used to get hooked up on something larger, and we soon realized it was the bigger carp that lived there.

Nothing like drifting a worm under a bobber and getting fish to go....the simplicity of being a kid.
DarkShadow

Postby Papasequoia » September 13th, 2016, 4:48 pm

katsfood wrote:...check out the latest issue of The Fly Fish Journal when it comes out. I wrote an article on fishing for carp in the LA River.

I don't know if I will ever fish the LA river, but congrats on getting the article published!
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Fishfreak911 » October 20th, 2016, 11:14 pm

DarkShadow wrote:I used to dig up redworms from my backyard and go out there and catch tilapia till the cholos came home.

LMAO, Till the cholos come home. :mrgreen:

DarkShadow wrote:I miss catching Tilapia at the LA river in the late 80's, I have not seen any them since I have been fishing there in the last year. Nothing like drifting a worm under a bobber and getting fish to go....the simplicity of being a kid.

Simplicy is right! Now we "need" Thousand dollar rigs, seventy dollar fly lines, 400$ waders, etc. :doh:
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Return to General Fly Fishing