REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

A GREAT float tube/belly boat

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: A GREAT float tube/belly boat

Postby flyster » September 18th, 2016, 11:53 am

DrCreek wrote:Please welcome the newest member of the Outcast Trinity Float Tube Owners Assocoiation, DrCreek. :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: Got it for $319 on eBay, new in the box with 5yr warranty.

Since I was in a spending mood, I scored the MIT manual PFD vest as well. Woohoo !!

Wow!!, nice. Now you need sinking lines. Intermediate, sink1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9....... When will it ever end????? :comfort:
" Boy it's going to be really hard not to do this again tomorrow!!"
flyster

Postby DrCreek » September 18th, 2016, 1:13 pm

Thank you Capt and MrFly !!

Funny you should talk about the sinking lines... I already have them in three different densities/sink rates. I just need to figure out a good fin that wont beat my legs into the ground, as well as figure out how my rod will remain off the bottom of the bay while I'm kicking out. Is there a specific rod holder I need to buy just for the Trinity model?
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby Wildman » September 18th, 2016, 3:10 pm

Don't know about the rod holder but know there are some fins (pricey) that don't kill your feet or your legs and you move along smartly. I would also think a set of Churchills would work pretty darn good. I have a pair that look like those used by very deep free divers and are good for some quad cramps by the end of the day.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby DrCreek » September 18th, 2016, 4:34 pm

Just bought some Outcast flippers on eBay. I assume they researched their own flippers a little bit - or at least know them well enough to know they should work well with their boats.

DrCreek

Postby flyster » September 18th, 2016, 7:16 pm

DrCreek wrote:Just bought some Outcast flippers on eBay. I assume they researched their own flippers a little bit - or at least know them well enough to know they should work well with their boats.

Fins can be a tricky *. There are a lot of fly fishers that just troll and some that like to cast out let it sink down and then strip all the way back in as I like to do. If your plan is to troll your fins must fit properly because you will be doing a lot of fining around.

I carry two rods with me. One slow sink and the other fast. I have a Caddis rod holder that I strapped on my non cast side of my tube (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Float-Tu ... lsrc=aw.ds). The pic shows it pointing forward, I point it out to the side.
" Boy it's going to be really hard not to do this again tomorrow!!"
flyster

Postby Benny » September 18th, 2016, 8:06 pm

Any of the Outcast line of float tube/pontoons is going to be just fine. I'd also suggest Force fins, a bit pricey, but work great and get you moving effortlessly through the water. The Fishcat 4 with the foam seat can be used as a sort of backup floation device if all goes south so to speak. I don't know of anyone who has had both bladders fail at the same time. I have only heard of people getting a slow leak out of a bladder thus far. The leaks have been slow enough to get back safely to shore. You will be good with any of the Fishcat line. Have fun Creek
Benny

Postby BrownBear » September 21st, 2016, 10:02 am

Through my marine contacts I just got this terrific guide to the care and feeding of inflatable PFD's. If you've got one, good idea to read it. And bookmark it.
BrownBear

Postby DrCreek » September 21st, 2016, 10:35 am

BrownBear wrote:Through my marine contacts I just got this terrific guide to the care and feeding of inflatable PFD's. If you've got one, good idea to read it. And bookmark it.

Copy that. Yes, I bought one of the MIT manual pull vests.

DrCreek

Postby BrownBear » September 21st, 2016, 2:33 pm

Truth be known, when the rivers are up and a little starchy for my old body, I'm wearing one. We also have a dedicated set for our fishing kayaks. Come to think of it, we have quite a few needing annual maintenance right now.
BrownBear

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing