REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

A GREAT float tube/belly boat

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

A GREAT float tube/belly boat

Postby DrCreek » September 17th, 2016, 3:06 pm

I can't believe I'm going here, but...

I've realized that if I want to get into something bigger than San Diego Bay and Mission Bay 6" kelp bass and spotties, I'm going to have to do two things. One, use flies that both look like and are about the same size as a slab of meat. And two, get a float tube.

Problem: The thought of being in a float tube and springing a leak away from shore frightens the crap out of me. I've always been a great swimmer, but not when I'm strapped into a device that has the potential to drag me under. And I've always hated the thought of wearing chest waders and having them fill with water. No bueno.

So I guess I'm looking for something that has SEPERATE AIR CHAMBERS so that one fast leak isn't necessarily going to sink me. And I'm looking for something that wont bust my chops financially, of course.

Any suggestions on what brands and models to look at would be greatly appreciated. Since I honestly have no clue about any bells and whistles these things might have, my guess is the fewer bells and whistles the better the chance of something NOT going wrong. I just want to entertain a device that will support me upright really well, allow me to sit tall to make it a little easier to cast (it that's possible), and guarantee my safety as much as possible. You all know that I'm totally grateful for your replies. I'm relying 100% on my mentor and other salt friends n family to help walk me thru all this shi....err...stuff.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Re: A GREAT float tube/belly boat

Postby RichardCullip » September 17th, 2016, 3:49 pm

I use an Outcast Trinity Float tube in the bay. I recently wore out my original Trinity Float, which I've been using in the bay since 2008, and liked it so much I bought another. The new one is slightly different, mostly the style of stripping apron. However, I seem to sit about an inch lower in the water with the new one due to a minor "improvement" in the seat arrangement. Still getting used to that.

The current Trinity has 4 separate air chambers. One for each of the main tubes and the seat and backrest have their own separate air chambers. I've been tubing the bay since 2008 and have yet to be in any difficulty with loss of air. I did finally replace my original Trinity float tube due to a slow leak in the left main tube that I couldn't fix. It held good air for a few hours but was sagging significantly after a 4 hour session. The new one is holding air just fine.

I wear an inflatable personal floatation device just in case of a catastrophic tube failure but have not had to use it yet. If the time comes, I figure I can slide out of the tube easily enough and swim to shore using my fins and PFD to assist me.

For waders - I don't use them. Rather I wear thin lycra running tights and keep my feet and lower legs warm by putting on Simms neoprene wading sock that cover almost up to my knees. This combo keeps me comfortable most of the year and is good, for me, down to about 58 degF water. I once fished the south part of the bay one January day in 54 degF water and my feet and lower legs got quite cold. Burr. That was a day I hope not to repeat.

Outcast has some great tubes. Check them out. Alternatively, you could look for a pontoon boat, either a framed model or one of the newer frameless models. They come with oars so you can cover more water than a float tube allows. In addition, they let you sit higher in the water so less of you, especially the critical parts, aren't exposed to cold water during the winter months. They are bigger and heavier than float tubes and I contemplated going that way, especially a frameless model, but I don't like rowing and they don't fit in the back of my Prius near as well as my float tube.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby DrCreek » September 17th, 2016, 5:34 pm

Thank you, Commander !! I suppose we can chat more about belly boats on Monday. So glad youre around to help shine light on these things.

DrCreek

Postby dray » September 17th, 2016, 7:50 pm

I have not yet tubed in the salt but would like to try it someday. I use the Outcast Fat Cat series and I'm on my second one. It's bigger than most and has plenty of storage. I also bought the soft sided ice chest that fits to the rear of the tube and comes in handy for lunch and beers. Mine has the separate air chambers for the seat, backrest and main chambers. For added safety, I use a floating throw seat on top of the main seat, which allows me to sit even higher in the water and gives me a little peace of mind if I should have a major malfunction. Good idea to wear a PFD, in fact, some lakes (lower lake Castaic and others) require it prior to launching. My son has a Cumberland and he really likes it, but the seats are not inflatable making hiking into a lake a little more cumbersome. My brother has a hard framed pontoon with oars, fish finder and small trolling motor, but you're going to need a pick-up truck for one of those. My next one will be the Water Master, but they're pretty pricey. IMO you can't go wrong with Force Fins.

BTW I have no personal interest in any of the products named above and if the Mod's thinks it's out of line, please delate.

Darrin
dray

Postby DrCreek » September 18th, 2016, 6:35 am

dray wrote:...I use the Outcast Fat Cat series and I'm on my second one. It's bigger than most and has plenty of storage. ..Mine has the separate air chambers for the seat, backrest and main chambers. For added safety, I use a floating throw seat on top of the main seat, which allows me to sit even higher in the water and gives me a little peace of mind if I should have a major malfunction. Good idea to wear a PFD..My son has a Cumberland ..

Darrin

Thank you, D. I'm going to look hard at both yours and my mentors' suggestions.
Mike

DrCreek

Postby BrownBear » September 18th, 2016, 7:20 am

Here is the extra inflation chamber you're looking for.
BrownBear

Postby DrCreek » September 18th, 2016, 8:07 am

BrownBear wrote:Here is the extra inflation chamber you're looking for.

Yep. That would make me feel 100% better about being in a belly boat. Thank you sir ! I'm on the hunt for one now.

DrCreek

Postby John Harper » September 18th, 2016, 8:17 am

Why not go big and get a kayak? You know you want to get out off La Jolla and catch a big yellowtail or WSB on the fly!!!

Or, maybe a SUP? There's a lady (Mishfish) over on SCSF that got a huge WSB on the fly off a SUP!

I think having a float tube on any of the bays could be a big pain when the fall winds come a blowin'. And in the open ocean? Two words. Shark Bait.

John
John Harper

Postby DrCreek » September 18th, 2016, 8:39 am

John Harper wrote:Why not go big and get a kayak? You know you want to get out off La Jolla and catch a big yellowtail or WSB on the fly!!!

Or, maybe a SUP? There's a lady (Mishfish) over on SCSF that got a huge WSB on the fly off a SUP!

I think having a float tube on any of the bays could be a big pain when the fall winds come a blowin'. And in the open ocean? Two words. Shark Bait.

John

Well, this wannabe salt flyfisherman knows his limitations. Theres NO WAY I'd be caught float-tubing the bay on a windy day because one, I have no experience in a float tube. And two, I have a fear of drowning. And there's no way I'd ever take it into the open ocean. First sign of any blustery weather and I'm gone regardless of how great the bite is. I don't take risks.

No kayak for me, thanks. I hear they don't deflate so well. :bananadance:

DrCreek

Postby stanbery » September 18th, 2016, 9:41 am

Mike
Get a Outcast Trinity Float tube. I have one as well and they are great.
jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby DrCreek » September 18th, 2016, 10:07 am

stanbery wrote:Mike
Get a Outcast Trinity Float tube. I have one as well and they are great.
jon

All the reviews Ive read PLUS the two reviews from my dear friends call the Trinity the best around AND at half the weight. So I'm sold.

Anything else I need? Flippers...that way cool PFD...a license plate frame for it...etc?

DrCreek

Postby BrownBear » September 18th, 2016, 10:14 am

DrCreek wrote:
BrownBear wrote:Here is the extra inflation chamber you're looking for.

Yep. That would make me feel 100% better about being in a belly boat. Thank you sir ! I'm on the hunt for one now.

Check the marine supply stores in your area. They're common on commercial boats now. You'll see lots of variations and prices available from "sporting" sources, but the brand I linked is the top pick among folks who rely on them day in and day out. That company has been making ocean survival gear for well over 40 years, and their R&D is impressive (and reassuring).

We have 6 of them on our 20' boat. Folks going out with us have two choices: Wear them, or fish from shore.

They're so comfortable that we often forget we have them on. Can't tell you how many times I've come home from a long day on the water, and noticed I was still wearing mine while standing at the stove cooking dinner! :roll:
BrownBear

Postby DrCreek » September 18th, 2016, 10:25 am

Yes sir. The word on it is THE BEST and TOTALLY TRUSTWORTHY... so I'm definitely in. They're all around 100 bucks regardless of where I look, but I'll keep looking for that ONE special deal.

DrCreek

Postby DrCreek » September 18th, 2016, 10:26 am

Please welcome the newest member of the Outcast Trinity Float Tube Owners Association, DrCreek. :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: Got it for $399 on eBay, new in the box with 5yr warranty.

Since I was in a spending mood, I scored the MIT manual PFD vest as well. Woohoo !!

DrCreek

Postby Wildman » September 18th, 2016, 11:24 am

Well done! You won't be sorry. I pack mine into the lakes in the Sierras and it works great. Smart move on the PFD. Good fins will round out your on water fashion statement. I have two pontoon boats as well and enjoy them on the bay the few times I've been there. You're all set for some serious fish catching
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing