REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Wigged out... (a vent session)

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Wigged out... (a vent session)

Postby John Harper » September 27th, 2016, 11:54 am

Mike,

Like Wildman, I've surfed all my life along the California/Baja coasts without an issue.

At least look on the bright side: You'll probably die of shock and blood loss before you drown.

John
John Harper

Postby DrCreek » September 27th, 2016, 12:00 pm

John Harper wrote:Mike,...look on the bright side: You'll probably die of shock and blood loss before you drown.

John

Nice. I can deal with dying due to exsanguination and utter * panic. Its the drowning that bites me. ;)
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby Wildman » September 27th, 2016, 2:07 pm

This is kinda like never letting firefighters know you are afraid of mice.......
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby DrCreek » September 27th, 2016, 2:28 pm

Wildman wrote:This is kinda like never letting firefighters know you are afraid of mice.......

One of the BCs looking over my shoulder said something similar..."It's kinda like a fireman NEVER admitting that he's afraid of heights."

DrCreek

Postby Papasequoia » September 27th, 2016, 3:07 pm

You forgot lightning.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Sheriff Joe » November 3rd, 2016, 1:12 pm

I still have that or..Or...OR...ORVIS 5 wt. and reel! Best $250 I've ever spent....
Slap a cold trout on it!
Sheriff Joe

Postby DrCreek » November 3rd, 2016, 2:20 pm

Sheriff Joe wrote:I still have that or..Or...OR...ORVIS 5 wt. and reel! Best $250 I've ever spent....

Good ! Best gear I've ever let go of !! Where the heck have you been? Married with children or something? Dragging a cannonball around by one leg? Lose your eyesight and just can't see posting here anymore? :bananadance:

DrCreek

Postby Ants » November 10th, 2016, 8:37 pm

It is good that you are concerned about things in the ocean because they can frighten or even kill you. If you are enjoying whatever ( float tube or other) puts you in the bay / ocean, the concern about critters beyond you control goes way down. If the pleasure doesn't overcome the anxiety, quit. There are many other approaches that don't provide the stress.

I spent decades sailing in recreational sailboats and still got seasick. It was not predictable. In most cases, after my lunch was donated to Davey Jones Locker, the symptoms were gone for that outing.

Have an easy exit strategy. Use it before any panic sets in. Hopefully, the pre-launch anxiety will go away also.

Ants
Ants

Postby DrCreek » November 11th, 2016, 9:20 am

Ants wrote:It is good that you are concerned about things in the ocean because they can frighten or even kill you. If you are enjoying whatever ( float tube or other) puts you in the bay / ocean, the concern about critters beyond you control goes way down. If the pleasure doesn't overcome the anxiety, quit. There are many other approaches that don't provide the stress.

I spent decades sailing in recreational sailboats and still got seasick. It was not predictable. In most cases, after my lunch was donated to Davey Jones Locker, the symptoms were gone for that outing.

Have an easy exit strategy. Use it before any panic sets in. Hopefully, the pre-launch anxiety will go away also.

Ants

The anxiety over what lies beneath is long gone. I'm always very aware on the water, but not paranoid. If anything, I'm very watchful for drunk pleasure craft drivers that cant see my tube - even though I wear bright reflective green shirts and have a green strobe light going on the back. I've got a great PFD is something drastic were to happen, and I know I cant do anything about Jaws should he enter the bay and decide I look like a California sea lion.

DrCreek

Postby DrCreek » November 11th, 2016, 9:20 am

Ants wrote:It is good that you are concerned about things in the ocean because they can frighten or even kill you. If you are enjoying whatever ( float tube or other) puts you in the bay / ocean, the concern about critters beyond you control goes way down. If the pleasure doesn't overcome the anxiety, quit. There are many other approaches that don't provide the stress.

Ants

The anxiety over what lies beneath is long gone. I'm always very aware on the water, but not paranoid. If anything, I'm very watchful for drunk pleasure craft drivers that cant see my tube - even though I wear bright reflective green shirts and have a green strobe light going on the back. I've got a great PFD if something drastic were to happen, and I know I cant do anything about Jaws should he enter the bay and decide I look like a California sea lion.

DrCreek

Postby Doug720 » November 13th, 2016, 9:51 am

Most people do not know why sharks circle their prey several times before moving in to eat them...Sharks know prey always taste better after the crap is scarred out of them!
Doug720

Postby DrCreek » November 13th, 2016, 12:47 pm

Doug720 wrote:..Sharks know prey always taste better after the crap is scarred out of them!

I actually buy that. :bananadance:

DrCreek

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing