REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

To Float or NOT to Float...

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

To Float or NOT to Float...

Postby DrCreek » September 27th, 2016, 10:31 am

First, I want to say that I'm going to be float tubing the SD bays and channels regardless of my question marks. That being said...

To float or NOT to float? That is the question to ponder here.

Some of our brother and sister Addicts are all about float tubing the bays - even freshwater lakes - and I assume other places where the little fishies live as well. There also a population of those that would no more be caught dead in a float tube or any other small vessel while in their chosen water. Be it shark encounters, seal encounters, encounters with larger vessels, pysch issues, whatever. I was one of those.

I guess it would be enlightening for all of us to fully understand each side to this topic. So the question is, are you okay with float tubing or not? All reasoning is acceptable to write here as there is no right or wrong response. Its a personal choice. But it would be cool to hear everyones reasoning behind the choice they've made.

For years I always said that there was no way I'd ever get in a float tube. Now I find myself doing it. DO I have some reasonable fears about it? Absolutely. I don't want to drown. I don't want to be eaten by a shark. I don't want to be run-down by a Navy destroyer or some drunk idiot zooming his ski boat thru the 5mph zone. I can think of a hundred reasons why I'm unsure. But my desire to tie into bigger bay fish and learn tubing with a great partner has overcome my initial "fears" if you will.

It's all new to me, so some fear of sorts is to be expected. I'd be more worried about myself if I was going into this thinking that I had this game wired. And I'm okay saying that I don't know everything - I want to learn. And every day spent on the water is another day at school for me. So I'm going to get out there with my mentor and learn.

Lets hear it. Lay it on the table. The pros, cons, goods and bads. This could be a GREAT topic to discuss.

See you on the Coroners slab. ;) Sorry.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Re: To Float or NOT to Float...

Postby RichardCullip » September 27th, 2016, 11:01 am

I love float tubing San Diego Bay. I've been doing it since 2008. What a relaxing way to fish the bay. It's a relatively cheap way to fish the bay. Of course, I pick the time (almost always early morning mid-week) and the place (dependent on wind and tide change) to avoid most boat traffic and conditions (strong current and/or wind) that don't allow me to kick back to the launch point. It's all about knowing the conditions I will face and my ability to handle them. So far so good. There have been a few times where I needed to kick at about 80% effort just to hold position and have had to ramp up to 90-95% effort to make any head way but I try my best to avoid those situations. So far I've always made it back to the launch point. I have 7-8 spots in San Diego Bay I will launch from depending on tide and weather conditions and a few more in Mission Bay.

I float tube because I like the portability of my float tube. It fits in the back of my Prius. It's easy to get on and off the water. It's easy to store in the garage. Of course, float tubes have their limitations. The main one being the lack of range. I need to launch close to where the fish are. If I pick the wrong spot (and I have) I don't catch many fish. If I pick the right spot for the conditions I can have a banner day (my best day has been 70 fish in a 4 hour session). I usually launch around dawn and am off the water by 10AM or so. Have not tried out the afternoon or evening bite. I'm an early morning person and don't have the stamina nor the desire to fish all day any more.

I'll be float tubing the bay until I get too old to carry the tube down to the water.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby NorcalBob » September 27th, 2016, 12:51 pm

My answer is pretty obvious, once you do boat you'll never go back! I've got a float tube somewhere, exactly where I can't tell you! I've been in it twice in the previous 10 years. Why don't I use it? Well I'm not really a stillwater guy, the only flat water fishing that interests me is stripers. And stripers move around a lot and the mobility of a boat allows you to find them. You can indeed catch stripers from a float tube (many of my friends do) but I'm not one of them! No thanks, I'll stick to my boat! :booty:
NorcalBob

Postby briansII » September 27th, 2016, 1:32 pm

Pros. Easily transportable. Easy access to fishing spots. Stealthy. Excellent, short range mobility. Mild to mid level(wind & current)cardio workout. Relatively inexpensive. Relaxing. Fun and SAFE.

Cons. Limited fishing range. Limited bladder relief options. Not for folks afraid of the boogie man. ;)

I enjoy tubing or tooning. In certain situations, I would chose it, over using a boat. It's a more intimate way to fish, and very relaxing. Also, you can literally sneak right up to your quarry(not sure about saltwater fish?). The only downside I have found is, I can't get anywhere very fast with fins. In a full day of fishing, you can cover quite a bit of water, and get a nice workout as a side benefit.

briansII
briansII

Postby DrCreek » September 27th, 2016, 1:51 pm

Yep. I get it, Bri...My only real CON is vulnerability. Its like trying to outrun a bullet - you cant - youre gonna get hit. Sitting in a tube, I'm going to feel vulnerable because I know that I cant out-paddle Sharknado... and I cant out-paddle the bridge if it collapses during that mega-quake we all know is coming... and I wont be able to cut myself free from all that kelp because I will have dropped my knife overboard, etc etc etc...
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby briansII » September 27th, 2016, 2:28 pm

DrCreek wrote:Yep. I get it, Bri...My only real CON is vulnerability. Its like trying to outrun a bullet - you cant - youre gonna get hit. Sitting in a tube, I'm going to feel vulnerable because I know that I cant out-paddle Sharknado... and I cant out-paddle the bridge if it collapses during that mega-quake we all know is coming... and I wont be able to cut myself free from all that kelp because I will have dropped my knife overboard, etc etc etc...

And don't forget about the giant clam and octopus that will grab your fin and pin you to the bottom.

I get what you're saying, and that feeling may never completely go away. That could be a good thing. It could keep you from getting overconfident and doing something silly.

Like going out in 25+ MPH wind in a float tube.

Only reason I came back to shore is, my legs were not strong enough to keep me from blowing across the lake. :oo:

Even though I had the tops of waves coming over the back of the tube, I was never unstable, or "tippy". Don't recommend doing this, but it's an experience that I'll pass along.

briansII
briansII

Postby Doug720 » September 27th, 2016, 9:00 pm

It's kind of like the old tale about out running a bear...I don't have to out run the bear, I only have to to out run you! It's the same with sharks.

Do you know why sharks circle their victims before they eat them? They taste better after they scare the crap out of them!

Float tubers and scuba divers are some of the favorite things sharks eat, chewy on the outside, soft and juicy on the inside!

Been a diver for too long not to have some fun with the "New Guy"!

Have fun!
Doug720

Return to General Fly Fishing