REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

fly fishing Bass

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

fly fishing Bass

Postby jbm78fly » September 30th, 2016, 11:11 pm

Anyone do any Bass fishing in the lower kern area. I would like to get started in fly fishing for some bass. Where to go and whay to use? Thanks guys I appreciate it
jbm78fly

Re: fly fishing Bass

Postby Wildman » October 1st, 2016, 7:41 am

Not much of an expert on anything Kern. I'm sure that someone here can at least point you in the right direction. Let us know how you do.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby BrownBear » October 1st, 2016, 8:01 am

We never got around to fishing below the canyon, but second hand I've heard it can be great all the way down through the park and beyond. Last fall we launched our kayaks and fished Democrat with very good results tossing big rubber-leg Woolly Buggers in black or brown. Went back about a month later after the water started cooling and had pretty slow fishing. The fish were there, but deep and slow to strike. It helped that I'd just installed a fishfinder on my kayak, and I was able to spot the fish in some of the deeper spots, then mine for them with heavy flies bounced on bottom. Basically "jig" fishing when you think about it.

For best results I'd go wherever you choose sooner rather than later, figuring once the water cools you'll have to search for the fish down deep, then work for them when you find them.
BrownBear

Postby RichardCullip » October 1st, 2016, 9:22 am

Another option is some of the park lakes in and around Bakersfield. I know a fellow who, before he moved out of town, used to fish the back side of Lake Truxtun (along the bike path). He would take his fly rod down there, wade out a bit and throw poppers in the evening. I don't recall him catching anything big but he had fun trying. Taking a float tube out to Hart Park is another option. Riverlakes can be fun but you might get asked to leave unless you are fishing with a resident.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Return to General Fly Fishing