REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

A Little Nuisance was taken care of

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

A Little Nuisance was taken care of

Postby Ants » October 25th, 2016, 8:51 pm

Metal fly rod tubes are good protection, but eventually the O-rings get old, crack and fall off. Replacements O-rings are not generally expensive, but are typically a nuisance to find. Automotive versions are too small and the household applications only fit certain plumbing sizes. Hardware stores are stocked with various small fasteners, seals, and the like, but O-rings in right size and diameter are usually absent.

Finally, I found the O-rings I needed at Archies Hardware in Kernville. It is located on the Main Street and across the street from Sierra South and The Hut. I took my inventory of caps needing replacement and left with ten O-rings that seal the water out and keep the cap on.

Some of those fly rods have been neglected. Reminds me that I should do more fishing.....

Ants
Ants

Re: A Little Nuisance was taken care of

Postby John Harper » October 26th, 2016, 6:28 am

Any particular application the "O" rings you found were designed for? Brand name, model numbers?

I've searched HD and Lowes for "O" rings for other purposes, good to know you may have found another option!

John
John Harper

Postby Ants » October 26th, 2016, 7:22 pm

The O-rings were in the section where box sized storage boxes contained nuts, bolts, *, washers, automotive fasteners, and all sorts of convenient items. The classification was not in the plumbing section, although I have searched that area in the past.

I am not sure if the big box stores sell the individual fasteners. It also seems the stocking decisions at each store vary.

Hope this helps.

Ants
Ants

Postby DrCreek » October 26th, 2016, 8:13 pm

If I lived near Kernville, that's where I'd go. In the meantime, I get mine at Dixieline. Since I'm not really fishing freshwater much, they're replaced every few years or so. I do this because they're SPL's and I just can't risk losing them due to bad O-rings and humid/hot conditions. Great topic and hot tip to live by. Thanks !!
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby acorad » October 27th, 2016, 7:57 am

fwiw, mcmaster-carr dot com has every size o-ring in every material known to mankind, and any other industrial-type product you could possibly think of.

And the ups guy delivers the very next day.

Andy
acorad

Postby Papasequoia » October 27th, 2016, 1:54 pm

Ants wrote:Reminds me that I should do more fishing.....

I think we could all do with more of those kinds of reminders these days. I wonder if the rain will stimulate some hatches this weekend? A reminder that I should do more fishing! ;)
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Return to General Fly Fishing