REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Passing it Forward

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Passing it Forward

Postby aaron otto » March 9th, 2009, 6:55 am

Hudson, Mom, and I spent this Saturday morning at the local river with this year's fresh crop of fly fishing students, straight out of Scottsdale's Community College Fly Fishing Class.

My role was two parts; First, take pictures of the class' graduation-outing. Second (and more important), take my little guy fishing.

Folks collect from all over the valley to attend this class. It's packed full every semester. Over the course of eight weeks, they get exposure to everything fly fishing. From knots to casts and fish to flies, there is no seam left uncovered by the end of the course.

The average age, is closer to dead then alive, but we did have one very talented ten year old this go around.

Every class, I learn something new from the newbs. This class, Hudson, of all people, was the one teaching dad. See, we have a rule at the Otto-household. You don't get to fish unless pick up three pieces of trash from along the water. That is our rule.

There were close to thirty people fishing this saturday, while my wife and Hudson, walked downriver filling trashbags. Hudson watching the other anglers while he picked up garbage, began formulating questions for dear old dad. In a nutshell we had a great conversation around why folks leave garbabe, and why we have to pick it up.

Disclaimer: I'm really not trying to make any political statement here, and won't bore you with the details: If you would like to read the whole story you can find it on my blog. (http://www.sleepinginthedirt.blogspot.com)

After a while we traded bags for rods and set out after some freshly stocked trout.

We ended up with only a few shots at fish, but had a wonderful time. We fished for less then an hour and then on Hudson's suggestion, we picked up some more trash. He figured there were a lot of fisherman out not picking up garbage and he actually commented, he was worried about their daddy's not taking them out fishing next time. Sweet kid, I thought, smart too.

We have one more rule at our house, guys get to pee in the woods when we fish, and we sure couldn't pack up and head out unitl Hudson got to be a guy.

aaron otto

Re: Passing it Forward

Postby midger » March 9th, 2009, 7:15 am

Great outing and love the last picture. I remember well that "peeing in the woods" thing whenever I fished with my Dad/Grandfather many years ago. Your son will remember it also.

Nice that you are teaching them to pick up the trash. Good question on his part as to why we have to do it. I've often wondered the same thing. Never came up with an answer, but I know what happens if we don't do it. The trash seems to breed. :roll:
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby darrin terry » March 9th, 2009, 7:19 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: The last shot caught me off guard, Aaron.

Good for you on teaching your boy about picking up trash. Too bad it's needed, and I hope it's not as bad a problem in AZ as in CA.

That class looks like a good deal for someone looking at getting started fly fishing. As a relative newb (just under 2 years), it can seem rather involved from the outside looking in. :shock: And it is of course, but a newb need not tackle it all at once. ;)

I wonder what went through the minds of those newbs at the sight of your boy picking up trash? :D

Darrin
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Eric » March 9th, 2009, 8:07 am

Great job on starting your boy with some good stream side habits.
Eric
Eric

Postby SJDrifli » March 9th, 2009, 8:09 am

Another winner Aaron, way cool!
SJDrifli

Postby aaron otto » March 9th, 2009, 8:08 pm

Thanks for kind words guys.

Darrin, wasn't trying to sound so elitist sorry for he newb ref. Just what I've taken to calling he lastest class of emerging anglers ;). Really wasn't meant to be negative.

I've learned a lot in the classes. I think it's a great spot to come and imerse yourself in the lifestyle.

Not trying to push an agenda here, just sharing how I try and raise my kid. That's the tough thing about being a parent, I think, you never know if you're doing it right.

A
aaron otto

Postby 1mocast » March 9th, 2009, 8:17 pm

That last shot is classic! Thanks for leading by example...
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby darrin terry » March 9th, 2009, 10:19 pm

aaron otto wrote:Darrin, wasn't trying to sound so elitist sorry for he newb ref. Just what I've taken to calling he lastest class of emerging anglers ;). Really wasn't meant to be negative.

Not at all Aaron. I did not take it that way. I was just commenting on how complicated this sport can look from the outside. New knots, rods, lines, and the flies…how could it look anything but complicated. You learn a whole new language when you take up this sport. I think the classes sound cool.

As for me being a newb? Well, I still think of myself that way. I've a ton of info I've absorbed over the last 2 years or so, but that's not to say I've learned how to use all I've read. But it's there, waiting for something to relate to on the water. It's all part of learning, and it never stops. :D

Being a newb is not a bad thing. We were all there. Some move beyond that stage quicker than others. We all go through different lessons at different speeds. Some get on the water several times a week, others less than once a month, and everywhere in between. I got 40-50 days on the water per year last year and hopefully this year too (11 days so far this year).

Again, no worries. Not elitist at all. Just the state of things for those in the class. Or most of them. They have some fun and challenging trials ahead. So do I. So do you.

Enjoy them. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » March 10th, 2009, 12:39 am

I've always wanted to fish that stretch of the river. Unfortunately when I've been there, the river seems life less and all the bars and hot women in Tempe and Old town Scottsdale always get me sidetracked when I'm over there ;) ;) !! I will do it one day, one day I will. It's nice to see you doing some clean up as well, that river does take a beating with all the party rafters from what I hear. It's nice to see a new location too, that whole area is really beautiful!

Thanks, Mike
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby fflutterffly » March 10th, 2009, 4:33 pm

Papa I think he qualifies!
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby aaron otto » March 10th, 2009, 6:30 pm

Rockstar Fisherman wrote:I've always wanted to fish that stretch of the river. Unfortunately when I've been there, the river seems life less and all the bars and hot women in Tempe and Old town Scottsdale always get me sidetracked when I'm over there ;) ;) !! I will do it one day, one day I will. It's nice to see you doing some clean up as well, that river does take a beating with all the party rafters from what I hear. It's nice to see a new location too, that whole area is really beautiful!

Thanks, Mike

Garbage is an issue there you're right. You're also right, it's beautiful.

aaron otto

Postby coreyk » March 13th, 2009, 1:38 pm

Good stuff Aaron .. Beautiful is right! That last shot is stunning.
coreyk

Postby stanbery » March 14th, 2009, 2:22 am

This

Is a classic moment.

Thanks for sharing.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby fish-on-bro » March 14th, 2009, 8:58 am