REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Suggestion

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Suggestion

Postby Image2325 » November 17th, 2016, 6:09 pm

Hey guys love the forum! But have you guys thought of making a private facebook page? Easy picture uploads and it's all in real time. I'm in a group called eastern Sierra fishing with over 5000 members... awesome page!
Image2325

Re: Suggestion

Postby WanderingBlues » November 17th, 2016, 7:20 pm

As one who's heavily indebted to this community for my journey in Flyfishing, it's hard to pull away. That being said, and particularly while trying to do so on the road, posting up a good TR with pics just plain stinks anymore. Photobucket is so unwieldy, and half the time my report disappears unless I actively save it before clicking over to PB to copy a pic.

But, this community has been so amazing and the memories I have as a result are just priceless. I mean, who cried at Blu's homecoming? Who kicked in or showed love for Sheri Setina or Bob K's wife when they had cancer? Who's laughed their asses off while enjoying amazing camaradrie at Papa's Volcano parties, or done a suicide run with a board member? Or put aside online differences and shared a stretch of water only to find more in common than not? I could go on and on and on.

I'm all in favor of a FB group, but I think it might lead to the demise of the site. One mans opinion.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby lucfish » November 17th, 2016, 8:07 pm

Posting picts is a pain in the butt, but I would miss this site.
lucfish

Postby BrownBear » November 18th, 2016, 6:52 am

Speaking for myself and most geezers I know, I won't follow onto Facebook. For my aged sensibilities, Farcebook is really obnoxious. A site like FFA is about as "social" as I get.
BrownBear

Postby planettrout » November 18th, 2016, 7:03 am

I remember when Winston got rid of their Forum and moved over to FB, insisting on how that would improve interactivity. Yeah, that worked out real well...I am a member of that Eastern Sierra Fishing group on FB and frankly, it does not approach the level of informative input found herein. Photobucket is not that much of a challenge for posting photos on any Forum site.

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby Wildman » November 18th, 2016, 8:26 am

Not sure how I feel about that. This site and others, has been the lifeline that I needed to crack the code of successful fly fishing (for me....finally catching fish) and to meet a whole new circle of friends after a lifetime in a uniform. I can't say that I have had the issues others have had with Photobucket and I've used it since the inception.

I'm going to do some serious research to see if there is a fix for the photo deal.

Personally, I don't see a FB page for us in the offing. I looked at it and see lots of folks lip holding up large trout and naming names. Not sure how I would feel about 5,000 folks instantly finding out that the fishing is hot on XYZ creek right now with a dry fly. Crowded enough out there. We have kinda a filter for that, I guess. Like they say, "The market will tell us what they want".
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby WanderingBlues » November 18th, 2016, 10:12 am

Wildman wrote:No I can't say that I have had the issues others have had with Photobucket and I've used it since the inception.

Personally, I don't see a FB page for us in the offing. I looked at it and see lots of folks lip holding up large trout and naming names. Not sure how I would feel about 5,000 folks instantly finding out that the fishing is hot on XYZ creek right now.

I've spent the last 15 minutes trying to get photobucket to upload some photos. It keeps kicking back to my homepage. I think it's an IOS deal and just isn't optimized for my iPad or phone. Frustrating as *, in any event.

As to a FB page, you make it a private group with an admin approving members. I'm on a private fly group that I've put up content on that I'm sure you guys who are on FB would have commented on were you able to see it.

A lot easier than dealing with photobucket. But, still, I love this community and won't leave (unless you guys tell me to * off....)

I am going to try and create a private group and see if it keeps it private. Standby for an invite.
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby briansII » November 18th, 2016, 11:25 am

I'm sure a private FB page would be cool for a lot of members, but I would not be one of them. I have no way to explain it, but I just don't use, or like FB much. I do like this, and other forums I read. Personally, I think it would be a shame to lose some participation here, to FB.

Photobucket sucked. Then I decided instead of moving all my pictures/videos to a different hosting site, I would pay a small annual fee(less than dinner for 2) to PB. It wasn't easy paying for something that was free for so long, but in the end, it was easier, works 95% better, and I'm happy. Posting reports is MUCH easier now.......I just need to get out and fish more.

briansII
briansII

Postby BrownBear » November 18th, 2016, 11:50 am

WanderingBlues wrote:As to a FB page, you make it a private group with an admin approving members. I'm on a private fly group that I've put up content on that I'm sure you guys who are on FB would have commented on were you able to see it.

In years past I moderated several photo-related forums. As already noted about online forums, lotsa really good info and problem solving.

Retired, moved on, and now I'm more of a recreational photo shooter.

I'm a member of one photo group on FaceBook. It's all about "Hey, look at my purty pikture" and zero about technique and problem solving. Lotta activity, but the net sum of progress I see in individual photographers is a big fat zero. Nice display site, but worthless for more than a billboard.

Sooooo, I'm quite happy to continue paying sometimes substantial membership fees for several pro photo sites. Things get DONE there, and discussion of individual photos and problem solving can run on to pages as times.

I have no interest in a FaceBook group devoted to grip-n-grin pics of guys holding their fish out away from their bodies to make them look bigger. Nuff of that in advertising.
BrownBear

Postby WanderingBlues » November 18th, 2016, 12:03 pm

I went ahead and created a group on a test basis. It'll only be open to those on FB who are current forum members. No grip and grin, Tom Loe style pics as our guys don't really go down that road to begin with.

And I hear you on photo forums. I stopped participating in a real world photo club I co-founded because it became a slide show of compliments rather than a hard critique of how to become better. I did go back one time, maybe two years later, and it had devolved into stuff that was mostly snap shots.

We'll see if it adds or detracts. Either way, I'll always be a proud forum member.
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Doug720 » November 18th, 2016, 12:07 pm

I'm relatively new here, and read more than post, but I hope it stays as is. I'll pass on a FB site.
Doug720

Postby WanderingBlues » November 18th, 2016, 12:18 pm

Another option is to increase our bandwidth to accommodate the direct uploading of photos to the site. Bloody Decks allows for this. However.........

We would need to allow fee based advertising, or create a membership fee to handle the costs. It's something we have spoken about when we purchased the site from Craig. I'm in favor of putting in some cash if it means I never have to deal with photobucket again!
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby John Harper » November 18th, 2016, 12:44 pm

If you go over to Facebook, you lost me. I refuse to join that community.

John
John Harper

Postby NorcalBob » November 18th, 2016, 1:06 pm

Me too! FB does not have the personality that this place does.

briansII wrote:I'm sure a private FB page would be cool for a lot of members, but I would not be one of them. I have no way to explain it, but I just don't use, or like FB much. I do like this, and other forums I read. Personally, I think it would be a shame to lose some participation here, to FB.

Photobucket sucked. Then I decided instead of moving all my pictures/videos to a different hosting site, I would pay a small annual fee(less than dinner for 2) to PB. It wasn't easy paying for something that was free for so long, but in the end, it was easier, works 95% better, and I'm happy. Posting reports is MUCH easier now.......I just need to get out and fish more.

briansII
NorcalBob

Postby BrownBear » November 18th, 2016, 1:09 pm

WanderingBlues wrote:We would need to allow fee based advertising, or create a membership fee to handle the costs.

Sign me up for a membership fee if funds are needed. But if it goes to advertising you can probably color me G-O-N-E. I only populate ad-free zones these days, and I happily contribute to keep them that way.
BrownBear

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing