REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Float Tube Air Leak

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Float Tube Air Leak

Postby DrCreek » November 23rd, 2016, 3:21 pm

I'm doing my best to not go nuts over this (what should have been) a simple fix.

I did EXACTLY what the owner manual said to do. Followed every step to the nines. Even went so far as to allow the gluing to dry for three days before filling the thing with air as opposed to a shorter duration.

Filled the tube with air last night. Put enough air in it to make it fairly rigid - just like I would if I was going to use it. Got up this morning to put my gear in my truck and bail for the water, and I can see slight wrinkles in the nylon from air loss. I pinch it, and sure enough, its minus some air.

Got out the hair dryer and went to work undoing what I had done days earlier. Started over. Sanded the nylon. Sanded the patch. Wiped it all clean and very dry. Smeared on the glue. Smeared glue onto a new piece of fabric patch (doing this TYPE B as per their instructions - the permanent patch - not the temporary clear patch). Watched as the patch curled up all over the place - looked like what a garden snail does when you pour salt on it. I'm guessing the patch doesn't like the glue that the manufacturer supplied me with? Got out some armor plates and put armor plating on both flat sides. Added rocks on top for weight. Gave it five hours. Took off the armor plates that were keeping it flat. Smeared Aquaseal over the entire thing, making sure the patch edges were covered by the Aquaseal - went about 3/4" past the edges just for good measure.

Going to give it a few days to really cure so there will be no excuses.

Other than the manufacturers instructions for hold repair, is there a better way? I'm using what they supplied me with - minus the Aquaseal - already had that laying around. Do you guys do anything different? Different techniques that work and hold air? If this last patch doesn't hold, I'm going to hit the roof. Should I have dabbed a tiny amount of something like SuperGlue directly onto the two pinholes, let it dry for a few days, then done that patch with their glue and then Aquaseal over all that? I'm getting PO'd just thinking about what I'm going to do if this patch job leaks again.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Re: Float Tube Air Leak

Postby NorcalBob » November 23rd, 2016, 4:53 pm

My experience patching small pinhole sized leaks is to use Aquaseal. Just dab it on over the affected area (obviously the article must be completely deflated!) and let it cure overnight. Never had any issues with it staying airtight and lasting a long time. It's the only thing I use on my inflatables. The only time I use the patches is if it's a tear. Aquaseal is also the only way to patch those pesky seam leaks! Do NOT use Superglue under any circumstances to patch an air leak. Superglue degrades over time and also cracks very easily.
NorcalBob

Postby RichardCullip » November 23rd, 2016, 4:56 pm

NorcalBob wrote:My experience patching small pinhole sized leaks is to use Aquaseal. Just dab it on over the affected area and let it cure overnight. Never had any issues with it staying airtight and lasting a long time. The only time I use the patches is if it's a tear. Do NOT use Superglue under any circumstances to patch an air leak. Superglue degrades over time and also cracks very easily.

I've used the Aquaseal approach with good success on my old Outcast Trinity boat. Find the leak, dry off the area, let lots of air out of the tube and put a quarter to fifty cent piece dap of Aquaseal over the pinhole leak. Wait over night and re-inflate.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby DrCreek » November 23rd, 2016, 6:34 pm

RichardCullip wrote:
NorcalBob wrote:My experience patching small pinhole sized leaks is to use Aquaseal. Just dab it on over the affected area and let it cure overnight. Never had any issues with it staying airtight and lasting a long time. The only time I use the patches is if it's a tear. Do NOT use Superglue under any circumstances to patch an air leak. Superglue degrades over time and also cracks very easily.

I've used the Aquaseal approach with good success on my old Outcast Trinity boat. Find the leak, dry off the area, let lots of air out of the tube and put a quarter to fifty cent piece dap of Aquaseal over the pinhole leak. Wait over night and re-inflate.

Okay. Do I need to spread the aquaseal out into a half dollar size, or just let it flatten out to that size on its own - which a fat dab of it should do on its own over an hour or so - before it dries too much to move at all - I assume

DrCreek

Postby RichardCullip » November 23rd, 2016, 7:05 pm

DrCreek wrote:
RichardCullip wrote:

Okay. Do I need to spread the aquaseal out into a half dollar size, or just let it flatten out to that size on its own - which a fat dab of it should do on its own over an hour or so - before it dries too much to move at all - I assume

A combination of both - spread it around a bit and then let it spread itself the rest of the way. Just try and get the patch area to be as flat as possible so gravity doesn't distort the spreading glue too much.

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby DrCreek » November 23rd, 2016, 8:42 pm

Copy that. I'll let it dry until tomorrow night, then pump it up and see what comes of it the next morning. Thank you Commander !

DrCreek

Postby DrCreek » November 24th, 2016, 9:53 am

Couldn't stand it. Pumped up the affected side and applied some soapy water. It appears to be holding just fine...for now.

DrCreek

Postby RichardCullip » November 24th, 2016, 9:57 am

DrCreek wrote:Couldn't stand it. Pumped up the affected side and applied some soapy water. It appears to be holding just fine...for now.

Should be good to go....

Richard
RichardCullip

Return to General Fly Fishing