REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Czech/Euro set up

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Czech/Euro set up

Postby WanderingBlues » November 24th, 2016, 9:15 pm

Well, I've had my butt handed to me enough out here by direct contact nymphers that it's time to consider trying it out. Any and all advice on jumping in would be appreciated, from set ups to flies, to techniques.

Thanks in advance!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Re: Czech/Euro set up

Postby BrownBear » November 24th, 2016, 9:33 pm

Number one for me is a lightweight rod with just the right reel weight to balance that long length out in front of you. If your reel is too light, the rod is going to feel tip-heavy and even a 2-weight is going to turn into a burden by the end of a long day. Hit it just right and the rod will feel virtually "weightless" in your hand. Dunno about anyone else, but I fish better without that extra feeling of weight out at the tip, even if I'm not fatigued.
BrownBear

Postby Wildman » November 24th, 2016, 9:54 pm

You need a session with Mark Allen. Mark (and many others) have struggled over the years to help me get on the catching side. This one technique has improved my catch rate by ten fold. I know how to use direct contact two ways. I have a ten foot 2 weight rod and basically a forty foot leader with a sighter in line connected with tippet ring and my tippet below that. You can buy the inline sighters by googling. I like the Jan Sieman version available at his web site. I am using a heavily weighted tungsten bead fly. Some will put a fly in trail on that but I have become a believer in the one fly deal thanks to Mark. Look up Lance Egan and his flies. Better then that....make a private treaty with Mark for some magic flies. I also fish a ten foot clear line on my Tenkara with pretty much the same set up. A plethora of info with googling direct contact nymphing. One thing, the leader only casts a heck of a lot differently then fly line. Makes a swishing sound but with your strong skills it should be an easy adaptation.

It really is fun watching direct contact catching and catching and catching. Here's some starter reading:

http://www.czechnymphs.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=229%3Aczech-nymph-on-a-french-leader&catid=1%3Atactics-tying&Itemid=3&lang=en

http://www.onstream-guide.com/short.html

https://troutbitten.com/2016/01/13/tight-line-nymph-rig/

http://www.tenkaratimes.com/tenkara-tutorial/Tenkara-fishing-techniques/euro-nymph-hybrids/czech-nymphing

http://www.lavezzinifly.it/wp/index.php/le-ninfe/flash-nymph/

http://www.bluequillangler.com/BQA-University/Constructing-a-Czech-Nymphing-Leader_2
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby fly addict » November 25th, 2016, 10:06 am

Welcome to the dark side of FF, once you crossover you’ll never go back. ;)
I have a lot of info about the gear and how to set it up back home, it was on my old computer (crashed) and Thankfully a hard copy, I'll send it to you if you want. The technique is very versatile and simple. You’ll fish water that you could never fish with an indicator and catch fish. When done right you will have visual as well as tactile clue that a fish has taken your fly.

You can go several ways with rod selection Cabales make a CZN 10’ 3wt or Sage ESN 10’ 2 or 3 wt. The Sage is an awesome rod with a price to go with it. It will become your go to setup for most of your nymphing needs. You want the lightest wt rod to cast the long leader, mono doesn’t have the weight that fly line does to load the rod. Match whatever rod you end up with the lightest reel you can. This is real important, Don’t ever false cast a long mono leader unless you want to spend a lot of time untangling a big mess. Water load every cast and you’ll do fine.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby flyster » November 25th, 2016, 10:12 am

" Boy it's going to be really hard not to do this again tomorrow!!"
flyster

Postby BobK » November 25th, 2016, 5:24 pm

Curtis. Come up here and learn with me. I just started about a week ago with mixed results. I've actually done better on the upper than with other techniques and worse on the lower. Bob
BobK

Postby Wildman » November 25th, 2016, 5:25 pm

Hey Bob....Mark is up there right now. You should hook up. He's magic on the lower.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby WanderingBlues » November 25th, 2016, 5:32 pm

Bob, I 'd love to, but can't for now. We are heading to Cali next week, but for an anniversary cruise. Gonna drop the new trailer off in Yuma to get it outfitted with solar.

I just picked up a Black Friday deal on a 10' 3wt. Excited to try the technique out. It may get its first work out on the San Juan.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Ants » November 25th, 2016, 7:00 pm

I found Dynamic Nymphing by George Daniel to be an excellent reference. Mark Allen is an excellent instructor, but I can't convince him to set in my bookshelf until I have another question.

George Daniel had given many presentations to the So CA fly groups so there are videos available also.

Have fun! The only downside is that you may be spending more time wading to get into a nice position to nymph. That's the price of catching more fish.

Ants
Ants

Postby BobK » November 25th, 2016, 7:37 pm

I won't give up my other techniques, I like to cast to much. But when my partner kicks my butt on big fish like he did last spring on the Upper, it's time to change. Wildman, The lower is a zoo this weekend, at least in the camp- ground, but I will look around for him tomorrow. Is he with a group, or on his own? BobK
BobK

Postby lucfish » November 25th, 2016, 8:06 pm

BobK wrote:I won't give up my other techniques, I like to cast to much. But when my partner kicks my butt on big fish like he did last spring on the Upper, it's time to change. Wildman, The lower is a zoo this weekend, at least in the camp- ground, but I will look around for him tomorrow. Is he with a group, or on his own? BobK

I'm with you Bob. I like to cast, but sometimes we have to modify ones thought process. I'll indicator fish and as long as I'm somewhat successful will keep doing it, but if it's not working, there's no denying the direct line method is deadly, just not as much fun, IMHO. I do like the French version with the red spring indicator.
lucfish

Postby Wildman » November 25th, 2016, 10:34 pm

He has your number and will call. He's staying at the Vagabond. I sent you his cell via PM.
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Return to General Fly Fishing