REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

My Saturday aka Wheres my boat?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

My Saturday aka Wheres my boat?

Postby DrCreek » December 3rd, 2016, 7:23 pm

Had to share this. I'm about to call myself out publicly for all kinds of stupidity. Here's my current life...

My step-dad is actively dying under Hospice care as I write this. My family has always been incredibly tight, so I've got lots of backup. This is my second time around losing a dad. My first was my fly fishing and life teacher. When he left us, my new step-dad jumped in and filled the void. I really needed him, and he stepped up for me.

I had to go throw some flies this afternoon - just to clear my head. I knew the tide was all wrong, but I didn't care. Threw all my stuff in the truck and booked it to Ventura Cove. I have no idea why I chose that place. Donned all my gear and made my way down to the beach. I was wearing a thin vest and after the first blast of chilly air, I thought maybe I need a jacket. So I abandoned my tube and gear and ran back to my truck - it was only maybe 100 feet away. Before I even reached my truck, I turned around to get a visual security check on my stuff on the sand. Where's my tube? Oh, you mean that blue thing out in the water? Seriously? Ran back to the water - up to my lower back, grabbed the boat, pulled it back up HIGH on the sand, then went back to the truck to get my jacket. Donned the jacket, ran back to the boat, put on my fins and kicked out twenty feet or so. Why am I being pulled out farther and faster than I'm kicking? Tide was pulling me everywhere. I should never have been there. Stayed out for an hour.

No hits, nothing to show for the effort. Got back to the truck somehow - legs sore as they've ever been - put all my stuff in, locked it down and got in. Grabbed my wallet and phone down from where I hide it, and stopped to read text messages that had accumulated. My bank had been texting me saying that someone was using my credit cards to attempt purchases of 1000$ and 300$ multiple times at a Target store in Chula Vista. So I grabbed my wallet to get the number off the back of my credit cards. Open wallet and I'm missing 3 credit cards and my debit card. I'm in disbelief. Someone had broken into my truck - yes, it was locked, I always check twice. They took HALF of my credit cards and 20 dollars cash. But hey, they left 10 in my wallet ! Thanks loser !! I always leave my wallet and phone in my truck. Keys too. Not no mo'.

Long story short, I called all the credit companies and they've cancelled out all my cards. No harm, no foul. Not my fault - even though technically, it was for leaving all my jazz in my truck. Loser thief went directly to Target and attempted to purchase gift cards - hence then even amounts. All of my credit cards were run thru the machine, but all were detected as "unusual" activity and denied. I'm wondering... did some dumb cashier just stand there and allow this clown to swipe MULTIPLE cards, all getting denied, and didn't say anything like "Can I see your ID" or dial their secret squirrel code number for security? Still * me off.

Driving out to see my step-dad this evening, I take a small rock to the windshield. New windshield, new crack. Only makes sense. FML. That's it. My Saturday.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Re: My Saturday aka Wheres my boat?

Postby NorcalBob » December 3rd, 2016, 7:57 pm

Keep the chin up as we've all had those kind of days!
NorcalBob

Postby Wildman » December 3rd, 2016, 8:52 pm

Crooks are pretty sophisticated or so they think. I actually thought about that when we parked the other morning. It's a good deal the banks are getting so much better about catching abnormal card behavior. Glad it wasn't worse.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby BrownBear » December 4th, 2016, 7:44 am

What a tough day.... Wow. Good you were able to get out on the water in any case.

On the runaway boat, we outfitted ours with little 1# anchors from Cabelas or some such. Immensely useful on the water, but also at the beach. Every time we go ashore we toss them out. Even if we're only going to be gone "for a minute." Really handy in places where we find a shallow bar and want to stand up to wade fish a while. Just anchor the boat and wade away.
BrownBear

Postby DrCreek » December 4th, 2016, 9:06 am

ADDENDUM... to make things even worse (or better depending on how you view things in life), we lost dad last night just after 7pm. Please don't think I'm a trainwreck or anything. I'm highly upset, but I'm good and my family is all good. And more importantly my mom is good. Mom is our priority in life and always has been. She spent the night at my sisters place. My brother in law, niece and nephew and myself all remained behind at moms house with dad waiting for the Hospice mortuary people to come take custody of him. In that 4 1/2 hrs of wait time, the four of us had some of the greatest family conversation I've ever had in my life. Forever in their debt for always putting our family first regardless of what else is going on in their lives. I've said it before here and here it is again...I'm the luckiest dude I know.

DrCreek

Postby DrCreek » December 4th, 2016, 9:09 am

BrownBear wrote:What a tough day.... Wow. Good you were able to get out on the water in any case.

On the runaway boat, we outfitted ours with little 1# anchors from Cabelas or some such. Immensely useful on the water, but also at the beach. Every time we go ashore we toss them out. Even if we're only going to be gone "for a minute." Really handy in places where we find a shallow bar and want to stand up to wade fish a while. Just anchor the boat and wade away.

When I first got the boat, I thought about getting an anchor of some sort. But that idea got nixed because I really couldn't imagine a need for it. I still can't, but I get your picture. Funny..I had that damm boat well up on the sand and away from the water. I have no idea how it scooted down into the water on its own.

DrCreek

Postby John Harper » December 4th, 2016, 9:23 am

Could be worse, Mike. I had a close "friend" use my credit card number to pay his TWC bill a couple weeks back, I guess he thought I would understand since he's out of work. Not hardly. No more friendship there, and I reported his usage to the fraud unit of my credit card company. We'll see what happens.

At least you didn't know the scumbag who ripped your card, I do unfortunately.

My sincere condolences on the passing of your stepfather. Time will heal.

John
John Harper

Postby Benny » December 4th, 2016, 3:12 pm

My deepest sympathy to you and yours Mike. Super stressful time of year for most even without loosing a loved one, then you add some idiot taking your cash and cards. It would be hard for me to stay sane, glad you have a tight family and good support during the hard times.
Benny

Postby acorad » December 4th, 2016, 10:27 pm

Really sorry to hear all this, always tough to lose family although it sounds like you have it under control.

Andy
acorad

Postby briansII » December 5th, 2016, 3:22 pm

Sincere condolences for your loss.

briansII
briansII

Postby DrCreek » December 5th, 2016, 5:51 pm

joe dirt wrote:Sorry to hear..

“Every man’s life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.”
―Ernest Hemingway

Too true, JD... a great man by all accounts. Great dad. So glad I had him for those years.

DrCreek

Postby Bob S » December 11th, 2016, 10:27 pm

Dr. Creek,
You sound like a very good man. Your mom and dad can take great pride in you, sounds like your a stand up guy.
My dad use to tell me when we had a bad day, "this day too shall pass".

Your day was probably more than just bad, it sucked big time. I have no patience for thieves. We all work too hard for what we have. Sounds like your days can only get better. Hopefully the windshield can be repaired. Time is a healer, as it should be. Losing a loved one hurts deep. Dad is gone from this life as we know it.

Thanks for your post. Shows what matters in life, it's the people. I hope all your fishing days are just like the ones I hope I have.

Bob
Bob S

Postby 1mocast » December 14th, 2016, 10:05 am

Mike,
So sorry to hear about your step dad.

It is good to know you have your priorities in order. Family and Health first. All other material things are way down the list.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Return to General Fly Fishing