REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

How Do You Keep Your Flies Organized?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: How Do You Keep Your Flies Organized?

Postby BrownBear » December 14th, 2016, 4:00 am

DarkShadow wrote:
How do you manage your flies, especially if you're a 'hike 4 miles to fish 100 yards" type of fly fisherman and a half day pack is what I usually use?

Only system I've found is to sort them into bigger "stock" boxes by type at home: streamers, wets, nymphs, dries, etc. Bigger deal is to label the outside of the boxes. I'll usually throw a few of the stock boxes in the truck when we head out, but I move a selection into smaller boxes for fishing.

The longer the hike, the smaller the boxes and more basic the selection. But for your long walks I might have only one box with 3 or 4 different streamers (2 or 3 of each to feed the bushes), same # for dries, and maybe twice that many nymphs. Saltwater flies are bigger and require bigger stock boxes, but I use the same kinda box loading system in the salt too.

I am only likely to try half a dozen or a dozen patterns in a long day, so why carry any more?
BrownBear

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing