REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Planning 2009 Backpacking trip, looking for help.

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Planning 2009 Backpacking trip, looking for help.

Postby rayfound » March 10th, 2009, 10:12 am

rayfound wrote:Planning the upcoming slog, and was hoping to get a few suggestions.

Last year I visited the French Canyon (http://www.flyfishingaddicts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=996), and it was amazing. It was my second time there, and it’s tempting to visit the same area, just to see the rest of the places I have admired from an opposite ridge, visiting a few different lakes this year. There are a few things I love about it, which I want in any trip I take:

1. Solitude. We were out there for a week, and except for a couple people and a pack train on the trailhead the first day, we never saw a soul. That was perfect.
2. Scenery: The place is * beautiful.
3. No need for bear canisters. I really have no desire to rent/buy one of these things and lug them around, so, for now, I want to focus on places that do not have the requirement.
4. Fishing. The fishing was great, there was a variety of things (puppet lake for challenging Large fish, other lakes for more numerous smaller fish, French Creek for fast-action stream fishing). I take backcountry fly-fishing trips that include a lot of hiking, not hiking trips that include fly-fishing.

Things I would like to Improve:

I’d love to see some stream fishing with larger fish: French creek is a lot of fun, but the fish are quite small (4-8”, Average 5” or so). I would like to have more stream fishing for slightly larger fish, but still steady action . Would love to see fish average more in the 8-9” range, and a few bigger thrown in. French Canyon is virtually all Goldens (which is Great!), but I’m not really picky about the species… as long as it has an adipose fin.

Time of Year: I went early summer last year (Early July) and the weather was great, except for the afternoon thunderstorms. And the bugs were plentiful. While I would love to get away from the afternoon thunderstorms and the skeeters, I’m more than willing to put up with that if it means the best fishing!

Day 1 hike: Pine creek pass was pretty tough. Piute Pass is much more friendly, and I've done it before. I'm not looking for a no-sweat backcountry trip, but I do want to enjoy the first day too!

So, I have a few thoughts:

1. Do French canyon from the South Side (Piute Pass).

Some places to try: Muriel, Golden Trout Lake, Ramona Lake, Upper/Lower Honeymoon, Puppet lake (Want to visit again before it goes fishless due to MYLF management), Piute Creek below confluence with French Creek (more water = Bigger fish? – has anyone fished this area below Hutchinson Meadow?)

2. Do some totally unrelated area that someone suggests?

Thanks everyone!
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Re: Planning 2009 Backpacking trip, looking for help.

Postby NorcalBob » March 10th, 2009, 11:41 am

I've done French Canyon from Piute Pass. Pretty easy slog, with incredible scenery. Humphries Basin is where I cut my teeth in backpacking, climbing, and fishing back when I was a young dog (yes, that was a long time ago!) and was my favorite destination in the Sierra's. But the stream fishing in the Humphries Basin is all for dinky golden trout. The lakes in the area (many of which you named) do hold larger specimens. Frankly, if you want larger fish (8-9" average) from a stream, you're going to have to concentrate your efforts on streams below 8000'. The fishing in Piute Canyon has slightly larger fish than you got higher up, but it still doesn't meet your 8-9" average. If you want bigger stream trout, I suggest trying west side water below 8000'. Lotsa places in the upper San Joaquin, Kings, & Kern can deliver larger stream fish. I'll PM you one spot I'd recommend that meets your size, solitude, and beauty requirements (but you will need a bear canister!).
NorcalBob

Postby RubiKinda » March 10th, 2009, 12:55 pm

Either way you go I would have my food in a canister. I have had too many encounters with some fearless bears. You can't go wrong doing some exploring in "the basin." The first part of the trail is the toughest and from there it is fairly eay to cover some miles. There are bears up there. I like to look at the smaller chains of lakes and fish the moving waters between them. I've been pondeing a late summer trip to the area as well. PM me if you'de like & I can share some less vague info.
RubiKinda

Postby fflutterffly » March 10th, 2009, 4:42 pm

I know this sounds funny, but with airline prices so low why not think of fishing outside the boarders?
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby rayfound » March 10th, 2009, 5:06 pm

fflutterffly wrote:I know this sounds funny, but with airline prices so low why not think of fishing outside the boarders?

Because the Sierras are the greatest.

Its the easiest to coordinate with
But also money. I'm not wealthy.
I can do a week in the Sierras for basically the cost of food. so maybe like $50. Plus a $5 wilderness pass. (Ok, prob. double that by the time I buy the crap I think I need)

Anywhere else, I've got lodging, vehicles, out of state fishing licenses, airfare...

Plus, Bishop is a 4 hour drive. Bingo, Bango, bongo.... I'm there.

Finally, I fly 15-20 times(each trip usually entails 2 flights to get there, 2 to get back) a year for work. Flying sucks.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby anacrime » March 11th, 2009, 9:54 pm

you know, there is a west side to the sierras! i hear there's a few streams over there 8-)
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Return to General Fly Fishing