REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

What's the coldest you've fished in CA?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Postby DarkShadow » December 30th, 2016, 1:52 pm

I fished Bridgeport in 9 degrees in late October once, about 5 years ago.

It was the same weekend that caused me to go out and buy a bunch of fly equipment, realizing my spinning outfit may not cut it.

Yet, that fateful day is what caused this immersion into the fly game, and I'm not looking back. What are the coldest days you've fished in CA?
DarkShadow

Postby Rasputinj » December 30th, 2016, 2:24 pm

Upper Owens in January 5 years ago I think it was 3 degrees. Caught a nice brown and then broke off the tip of a graphite rod. It was terrible until sun broke through the fog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Re: What's the coldest you've fished in CA?

Postby WanderingBlues » December 30th, 2016, 3:25 pm

Low teens in the San Berdoo's.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby NorcalBob » December 30th, 2016, 4:35 pm

The coldest in CAL was 7 degrees. It sucked and my line/guides froze up the entire day. The coldest I've ever fished is -17 degrees in Utah. That sucked even worse!!!!
NorcalBob

Postby DrCreek » December 30th, 2016, 8:25 pm

17. Trailhead to Mosquito Flats, 10,000'. Iced guides and ice sheets on most of the water. On the upside, the trailhead parking lot was completely empty. When has anyone here ever seen that happen there? :funnyup:
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby flocktothewall » December 30th, 2016, 11:34 pm

On the upper Owens river in February chasing the big fish. 13 degrees. Chipping ice from eyelets and off fishing line sucked but catching big trout didn't.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Postby fshflys » December 31st, 2016, 7:00 am

Last Jan, -5 when we got out of the truck on the Upper O. Landed 3 fish, smallest around 20", largest 25" LDR'd a 27", & I'd do it again.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby Rasputinj » December 31st, 2016, 10:28 am

WanderingBlues wrote:Low teens in the San Berdoo's.

Coldest in SoCal was in the mountains north of LA it was 18 degrees.

Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby Benny » December 31st, 2016, 12:38 pm

I have fished with temps in the teens, and it sucked every time. Fingers get so cold I can't tie on the fly. Frozen guides... it just sucks to be freezing cold.
Benny

Postby Rasputinj » December 31st, 2016, 3:32 pm

Benny wrote:I have fished with temps in the teens, and it sucked every time. Fingers get so cold I can't tie on the fly. Frozen guides... it just sucks to be freezing cold.

I don't mind it too much if I am hiking in the teens and it warms up when I start fishing.

The worst experience I had fishing in the cold was in SoCal mountains and I was wading through ice layer on stream and hit thick ice for SoCal around 1/2 to 1 inch and the ice had sharp edges and it poked a hole in my waders and did not feel good poking my legs. Then to add insult to injury I walked on a small area of ice and slipped and landed on my back. It was a fun hike back to the car. It was cool seeing fish under the ice.

Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby briansII » January 3rd, 2017, 10:41 am

fshflys wrote:Last Jan, -5 when we got out of the truck on the Upper O. Landed 3 fish, smallest around 20", largest 25" LDR'd a 27", & I'd do it again.

Yikes!! I wouldn't get out of the vehicle in single digit weather, let alone - degrees.

Lowest temp for me was in the lower teens on the Eastside. Sun was out, and it felt a bit warmer than it was. Coldest i've been was 19 degrees on the Trinity. The shadows of the canyon, standing waist deep in COLD water, iced guides, made it miserable to fish in. At one point I was so cold and in pain, I got lightheaded and had to go sit down. Have no desire to suffer through that again.....not even for steelhead.

briansII
briansII

Postby Baughb » January 3rd, 2017, 10:49 am

Lower Owens a couple of winter's ago. Dry, clear, no wind but 15 degrees.

Bundled up, got out there, warmed up a good bit by noon. I was fine and the guides did ice up a lot but, I got to the point where I didn't want the fish to bite cuz my hands would absolutely freeze after releasing and that took a good bit of time to warm them up again. After that I bring a microfiber dishcloth to dry my hands if needed but keeping my hands dry is the top comfort priority once I'm bundled up.

Bob
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Postby DarkShadow » January 3rd, 2017, 3:53 pm

My first time fishing in extreme weather was the same trip that made me go out and get a fly rod and reel...

I made the mistake thinking that trout were like largemouth bass and would bite early in the morning (regardless of the weather), so we showed up parked at the edge of Twin Lakes at 4 am, at 5 degrees. Being the bass fisherman city slicker, I was in jeans and a long sleeve t shirt and after 2 minutes from being parked, I knew I was in trouble. (And it wasn't the bears that were rummaging a few feet from our truck)

After feeling a bout of hypothermia coming in, I rummaged through my luggage, and finally found my 'cold' weather clothes and managed to shiver myself to sleep until 10 am when the fish started biting.

That's when I knew fly fishing was something I'd love. Not making your first casts at 4 am and your last at 10 am? Where do I sign up?!
DarkShadow

Postby stanbery » January 3rd, 2017, 5:44 pm

A few years ago on the upper in January it was 3 and late November at kirmen it 7 I think but it warmed up with the hike in.
Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby errock_22 » January 8th, 2017, 1:27 am

Upper O about a week ago. Day started at 0 but warmed up to 40. Ice in the guides until about 10-11AM, that stunk but we had a blast. Headed up to Bridgeport with the family for some snow time next week. I'm taking my gear with me if I get the chance to hit the Walker. I understand it's even colder there!

I'll report back if I hit a new record low for me. :cry:
errock_22

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing