REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Heritage Trout Challenge

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Heritage Trout Challenge

Postby DarkShadow » January 30th, 2017, 3:40 pm

Ants wrote:The Heritage Trout Challenge is not a scientific or research program. It is a social program to encourage anglers to sample the diversity of water and fish in CA.

To me, a good comparison would be if one visited ethnic neighborhoods in LA. If you visited an Asian restaurant, would it be important if the cook was born in the country. Not to me.

The early fishery biologists used visual characteristics in their earliest studies. Genetic testing will surely show some limitations in the earlier methods. The history of DFW has been to manage the fishery resources, not to preserve generic purity (however someone cares to define that).

Going fishing is a lot more fun than debating prior actions. I only got out once in the last few months. If it were often, I would spend less time posting.

Ants

All,

I understand from my recent posts, I've been labeled "that guy" that is opposed to the Heritage Challenge.

But, all I was doing was asking questions in regards to the one actual species that is close to me that are on the target list, and my questions were in regards to ONE specific species only. After jumping into the fly fishing game feet first years ago, I did way too much research and unfortunately felt different that one of the few species present in my closest 'heritage drainage", according to scientists who have more skill than I do, were deemed hybrid.

That was all I was asking. I was not trying to offend those that are chasing the other species on the list, but my response was based on that one species that I've read on.

I understand the Heritage Challenge is meant to educate our anglers of what our native species were supposed to be and why we must fight to keep these native areas wild, and I do thank the DFG for stocking non-native species in waters that never held a trout because it would eventually bring angling experiences to all of us.

I knocked one Heritage Trout off the list last week. Have a few more to go. As long as they tug, I've learned that it doesn't matter where they come from, as long as we experience the beauty that surrounds them.

I apologize for my previous posts.
DarkShadow

Postby Ants » January 30th, 2017, 7:32 pm

Congratulations on another step toward those wonderful Heritage Trout certificates.

The DFW does not have any easy job in managing the Heritage Trout program. Anomalies exist. For example, the Cottonwood lakes area is manages as a breeding area for Goldens, but Goldens caught there do not qualify for the Heritage Challenge since Cottonwood Lakes are not the historical areas.

I don't work for DFW, but try to be cognizant of the subtleties that make difference between this fish / location / time are acceptable and others are not. From what I have heard, the hybridization of a trout will not be a disqualifying condition if everything else seems proper.

Part of my learning came from volunteering in the Little Kern River drainage. From electroshock studies, it was surprising how the fish varied in coloration, width, and length.

My diplomacy hat may have been missing (or askew) when I responded. I could have done better and more diplomatically.

Sheesh, we all have good and bad days.

Do like I do, keep fishing, enjoy, and keep an open ear for interesting topics.

Ants
Ants

Postby Packer » January 30th, 2017, 8:37 pm

Hey DS, In order to qualify for the challenge, the Paiute's must have no less than 11 par marks, (or was it 10?) and be caught below a certain falls. Probably the most difficult to catch, and the Lohantan Cuttback is right there with it.
Unless you're a lucky volunteer ;) , you may never get one that qualifies.
I'm ready to complete mine this summer if that darn snow would melt off soon enough :Pop:
Thanks, Tim:)/'~~--<*})))><
Ps As far as being labeled "that guy", they wouldn't do that to anyone. No apologies necessary here. :comfort:
....................................................................................................................................HOLD MY BEAR AND WATCH THIS!
Packer

Postby DarkShadow » January 31st, 2017, 3:20 pm

Packer wrote:Hey DS, In order to qualify for the challenge, the Paiute's must have no less than 11 par marks, (or was it 10?) and be caught below a certain falls.

The only species with DNA as close as their ancestors are below******** Falls, as you mentioned. Which is closed to fishing. (Hence the removal of the species from the Heritage list)

The new broodstock being used to introduce into their original watershed are in the ***** Mountains, whose areas are also closed to fishing. (Which I volunteered for)
DarkShadow

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing