REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Advice on Off Road Rescue Gear

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Advice on Off Road Rescue Gear

Postby clee » February 26th, 2017, 3:33 pm

John Harper wrote:
I'm starting to wonder about mud more than sand as an issue if we keep getting rain. It will be fun either way.

John

If that is the case. either way, you may want to buy a pair or even two pair of Max Trax.
https://maxtrax.com.au/
Have fun. Stay safe. I would love to do the same thing one day.
clee

Postby atomicfly » March 3rd, 2017, 1:15 pm

Those "red Jeep style jacks" are dangerous from what I've read. Hi-Lift is the main brand and they work really well, but your vehicle must be able to accept them with reinforced lift points. And from what I've read, you should practice beforehand and view all warning material. They have a definite cool-factor but there are better options as mentioned.

Looking forward to a trip report with photos! :)

eric
fresno, ca.
atomicfly

Postby clee » March 3rd, 2017, 1:43 pm

atomicfly wrote:Those "red Jeep style jacks" are dangerous from what I've read. Hi-Lift is the main brand and they work really well, but your vehicle must be able to accept them with reinforced lift points. And from what I've read, you should practice beforehand and view all warning material. They have a definite cool-factor but there are better options as mentioned.

Looking forward to a trip report with photos! :)

eric
fresno, ca.

Agreed. I don't own one buy know any how do. Hi-lift jacks can be extremely dangerous if you don't know how to properly use them. If you do know though they are very useful and can even be used as a hand winch. If you get one seek professional training. Bill Burke is well regarded and even does classes here in CA every so often.
http://bb4wa.com/
There is another guy here in Socal I forget hos name but is also very good. I'll see if I can find his name.

There is also the X-jack. I've never known anyone who owns one but I've always been intrigued by them but also a little worried that it would pop either by getting jabbed or being over inflated by accident.
clee

Postby John Harper » March 3rd, 2017, 4:49 pm

I bought a scissors jack instead, and have several 2" x 10" x 16" boards I can stack and link together for getting it close to a lift point. The bottle jack that came stock is woefully short as well. I got a Viair 85P high volume inflator, couple bottles of Slime, and a plug kit, so not anticipating having to lift if at all. The road in is well traveled and maintained (allegedly) so I think we'll be fine if we just take it mellow. There is no practical place to use a Hi Lift on my truck IMHO.

I can deflate for sand as needed, reinflate, use Slime or plugs for any punctures. Plus a siphon and gas can, of course.

I also bought a frame mounted receiver hitch, recovery strap and D shackles too in case I need a pull.

And, I have four new tires and balljoints all recently replaced.

John
John Harper

Postby BrownBear » March 4th, 2017, 5:35 am

John Harper wrote:I got a Viair 85P high volume inflator, couple bottles of Slime, and a plug kit, so not anticipating having to lift if at all.

There ya go. And don't be shy with the plugs if you get a bigger hole. If one plug isn't big enough, add another and another. I've had as many as four plugs side by side in the same hole before it sealed up. No, it's nothing you want to drive on a front tire at highway speeds, but it will get you out of a jam until you can get a better fix.

BTW- That four-plug hole was on a big gooseneck horse trailer full of cattle. DID NOT want to jack it up with that load shifting around and DID NOT want to herd 20 mamma cows out and into the trailer and keep tabs on them while changing a flat. The 4 plugs worked fine, even with a load like that.
BrownBear

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing