REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Too much Snow!!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: To much Snow!!

Postby 209er » June 9th, 2017, 8:41 am

Took a leisurely drive to Reno on 395 from the south to eyeball runoff! I wasn't disappointed! :bananadance: Shot videos from every river/creek that went under or paralleled 395 from west carson to Lone Pine going home. Most impressive was the west walker going into topaz and the small tribs flowing toward the Bridge. The Robinsons and Buckeyes were huge compared to normal runoff! Awesome! No I didn't fish but Hot creek got a good look. There was even a small rivulet along southbound 395, can't remember where. Later
209er

Postby Papasequoia » June 9th, 2017, 10:52 am

For those on evil Facebook if you go to the addict's page there I just shared a very detailed list of openings and anticipated openings of roads and campgrounds on the east side. If you don't FB, good for you! You can probably find it by googling Inyo national forest info or maybe the Mammoth Times page which is where I shared it from.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby stanbery » June 9th, 2017, 11:38 am

Jon
Not on FB that often so thanks for posting. Love the 10 day diff pics those are very cool. Did you fish Mary or Twins?

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Ants » June 9th, 2017, 11:53 am

I have been using the Inyo NF website to get information about road and campground openings. Since I reserved sites above Mammoth in the past, I was sent information and campground projected openings by CA Land Management ( the vendor that operates the sites).

The website gives information about a projected opening date (if available). The site is less convenient than the Inyo NF summary page, but it seems to have dates for trip planning.

For example, the projected opening in the Red's Meadow were for late July. If one is anxious, I guess they could hike from Mammoth basin lakes ( :roll: ).

This information may be useful to some.

Ants
Ants

Postby Papasequoia » June 11th, 2017, 1:08 pm

stanbery wrote:Jon
Not on FB that often so thanks for posting. Love the 10 day diff pics those are very cool. Did you fish Mary or Twins?

Jon

No on Mary, it is/was still totally frozen all the way. Twin was open water, some mud/snow on the shorelines still. I saw some spin fishermen out the other day but I did not join them. The falls are really roaring.

As I write this on Sunday afternoon the temps are in the low 30's, it is snowing hard and I have a fire going. I was going to take a bike ride up to George to check it out today, but I think staying in and tying flies as if it were February is a better idea! :D
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Re: Too much Snow!!

Postby Papasequoia » June 12th, 2017, 7:40 pm

Twin Lakes CG today - lots of melt in many areas, but plenty of others with bear boxes, picnic tables and the bike path under snow. This site is across from the store. Road and CG still closed.

Walked up to Horseshoe today. No plowing past Mamie. Here is a pic of the restroom right as you get into view of the lake.

Lake Basin report for June 12: Road still closed, Twin Lakes are ice free, some snow on the banks. Mary, still almost totally frozen. Mamie, big gap in the middle, but ice shelves on either side don't allow access except from where one would park normally. Horseshoe, mostly frozen, a few cracks starting to open. Going up to George tomorrow.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Re: Too much Snow!!

Postby Benny » June 12th, 2017, 9:53 pm

Amazing snow fall this past winter. Thanks for the snow report. Was thinking of heading up and just fishing Crowley.
Benny

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing