REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Thankful for Everyone on this Board

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Thankful for Everyone on this Board

Postby Dry Fly Rie » November 23rd, 2017, 12:49 pm

On this day of counting our blessings and taking stock of all we are thankful for, I'd like to take a moment to express my gratitude for everyone here that makes this forum such a great community to be a part of.

Thank you to Craig for starting the forum, and for the guys who stepped in to take over when the transition happened a few years ago (Widman, PapaSequoia, WanderingBlues, Stanberry, and others behind the scenes).

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to post reports with wonderful pictures and enthralling stories that allow us to tag along in our minds to the many wonderful and unique places we all fish. It's always fun to see an old favorite fishing spot through someone else's eyes, as well as learn about new and mysterious places that hold the finely-finned friends that we all cherish so much.

I lurked on the FFA site for several months before eventually joining the fray, and I'm constantly thankful for everything I've learned and experienced while being a member. Prior to becoming an official "Addict", I'd only ever really fished by myself or with family members. As a result of the camaraderie and generosity on this Forum, I've had the true pleasure of meeting and sharing the water with a number of awesome guys. Tenandtwo, RichardCullip, PapaSequoia and DrCreek have all been gracious hosts and introduced me to fantastic fishing at some of their favorite spots. And along the way, I've gotten to fish with Dray, AutoDave, FlyBob, and Tyingfool, and I got to share some stories and great food at one of Papa's amazing Volcano Parties with 1mocast, Philosfisher, Hpskiff, and Midger.

This is truly a special board, and I'm so thankful to have a place to come read reports, see pictures, ask questions, and share my great passion of fly-fishing with so many great people.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
Dry Fly Rie

Re: Thankful for Everyone on this Board

Postby DrCreek » November 23rd, 2017, 4:18 pm

So glad we finally got together to fish. Like you, I never would have guessed it would be on saltwater. Doesn't matter. I've got a new family member in you, and I'm grateful you chose to come down and give Spanish a chance. What fun ! Hope you can find some time every now and then to come do it again. I cant guarantee you anything big at the end your line, but I'll certainly do everything I can to help increase your chances in getting there. Enjoy your family on this holiday, Mike
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby Wildman » November 23rd, 2017, 10:13 pm

Well said. My wife used to say that I would meet strange men on the internet and go fishing. Along the way I have been fortunate to have been mentored by some of the best who have also become close friends. Looking forward to continuing for years to come.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby WanderingBlues » November 24th, 2017, 7:51 am

It’s been a good run. Some of my favorite moments have been spent in the company of folks from FFA. I’ve learned about tossing flies, about being a steward for our resource. I’ve shared water with guys with whom I disagree with on political and social issues, but wouldn’t hesitate to give them my last ‘hot fly’ if they needed it, and quaff a pint when it was done.

I guess the best thing has been being a part of the lives of guys over the years. Marriages, kids. Beating demons, losing loved ones. Starting careers, or welcoming retirement. And the food, oh the food.. From kabobs to Dutch oven casseroles, nearly always pared with a very fine craft brew.

For the forum, I’m thankful.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Papasequoia » November 24th, 2017, 4:52 pm

Ditto all that. That's why it's so sad to see so few people posting reports any more. But, I've made some good friends here over the years as well.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby WanderingBlues » November 26th, 2017, 10:56 am

Papasequoia wrote:Ditto all that. That's why it's so sad to see so few people posting reports any more. But, I've made some good friends here over the years as well.

I’m really hoping that the direct photo loading will help. I’ve been trying to get up some posts every time I venture out, and I’m always enjoying the local and Sierra posts that do come up. Makes me nostalgic.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Wildman » November 26th, 2017, 1:27 pm

Working on Tom and I's Sierra trip using Papa's work flow system.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby RichardCullip » November 26th, 2017, 5:51 pm

As others have said, I'm thankful for all the people I've met and the places I've been thanks to connections made thru this forum. It's been a special place for me. I'm very glad for the opportunity I've had to give a little back to this community. That pales in comparison to what I've gained from all who have frequented the forum here. Thank you one and all.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby 1mocast » November 26th, 2017, 7:55 pm

Well said! I have also made some amazing friends and had some memorable trips over the years on the addicts. I have been working way too much lately and have not had much time to fish.

I appreciate all the trip reports everyone has been posting here. Thank you all.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby stanbery » November 26th, 2017, 9:11 pm

Very well stated.
Wish I could post more reports but life is getting in the way of going fishing how I used too.

Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Ants » November 27th, 2017, 7:20 pm

I have enjoyed the addicts community and look forward to more of it. It is nice to know friends that enjoy having a fly rod in their hands.

I try to do my part and post information about my backyard - the Kern.

Good holiday cheer to everyone!!

Ants
Ants

Postby lucfish » November 27th, 2017, 8:06 pm

I too have enjoyed this forum and am grateful for its existence. Its the only one I participate in and will continue to do so.
lucfish

Postby briansII » November 28th, 2017, 1:24 pm

Well said Dry. Appreciate the friend/fellowship, and all the behind the scenes work to keep this place running.

Participation is key to keep this place's health and longevity. I've been slacking, but hopefully will have more time to get material for TRs. In between, I've been golfing a LOT, but that's more a comedic tragedy than a fun TR. :|

briansII
briansII

Postby Jimbo Roberts » November 29th, 2017, 12:53 pm

This place is one of the better forums you can find.
It is the only other place I post my stories other than our local GRTU site.
The reason is the other people on this sight. I learned a lot about places that I may or may not get to on the bucket list. And certainly added places to that list because I saw them here. Then again much of the water in the High Sierras I may never get to because of my old legs, the altitude, and the trek needed to get there. But it sure is nice knowing there is so much good water out there still waiting for those willing to explore and enjoy.
Thanks everyone !

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Return to General Fly Fishing