REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

CDFW Lands Pass...*??

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

CDFW Lands Pass...*??

Postby Baughb » December 20th, 2017, 4:32 pm

So I go online to purchase my fishing license and come across a blurb about the "Lands Pass" program on the CDFW website. ALL links to actual information is currently unavailable (probably a crowded server) but when did this start?

So now anyone just wanting to take a walk on the PUBLIC land noted in the "Lands Pass" list has to pay $24+ per year.

Personally I became immediately irate but thought to ask on here if any of you have heard of this and what is your take on it.

I'll continue to try to read up on it more thoroughly when the website cooperates.

Bob
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Re: CDFW Lands Pass...*??

Postby RichardCullip » December 20th, 2017, 4:51 pm

This is news to me but it seems like the program, at least in a limited way, has been around since 1988. It's being expanded to cover more area. If you have your fishing license with you, you are covered and don't need the Lands Pass.

Here's a short excerpt:

"Lands Pass Requirement. On lands pass properties, each visitor who is 16 years of age or older is required to carry a daily (1 day) or annual lands pass while on the property. Visitors who are carrying their own valid California hunting or fishing license are exempt from the requirement...."

and a link that should provide a bit of info:

https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2017/10/31/cdfw-expanding-lands-pass-program-to-dozens-of-properties-in-2017-18/
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Baughb » December 20th, 2017, 6:07 pm

Yeah, for some reason, I cannot access the ca.gov site at this time. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Did you see if it is special conservation sites or what? Walking out on the Bolsa Chica reserve (one of the listed sites) has always been free but it's been a decade since I was there.
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Postby RichardCullip » December 20th, 2017, 6:15 pm

Baughb wrote:Yeah, for some reason, I cannot access the ca.gov site at this time. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Did you see if it is special conservation sites or what? Walking out on the Bolsa Chica reserve (one of the listed sites) has always been free but it's been a decade since I was there.

All I can see is the press release that I linked to. Like you, I can't see anything else about it on the ca.gov site.

The pass will be needed for Bolsa Chica starting in Feb 2018. The pass provides an expanded funding base for wildlife areas and ecological reserves.

"CDFW’s Lands Pass Program began in 1988 as a way to broaden the funding base beyond hunters and anglers to pay for conservation and habitat improvement on some of the state’s most popular and frequently visited wildlife areas and ecological reserves. In 2013, the California Legislature directed CDFW to expand the program to more properties as a way for all visitors to contribute to the management of the places they enjoy and appreciate."
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby stanbery » December 20th, 2017, 7:24 pm

Here is the info on the pass:

CDFW Expanding Lands Pass Program to Dozens of Properties in 2017-18

October 31, 2017

The California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) is expanding its Lands Pass Program to 41 wildlife areas and ecological reserves this fall and winter and will soon require a CDFW lands pass of all visitors 16 or older. Those carrying a current hunting or fishing license are exempt from this new requirement.

CDFW’s Lands Pass Program began in 1988 as a way to broaden the funding base beyond hunters and anglers to pay for conservation and habitat improvement on some of the state’s most popular and frequently visited wildlife areas and ecological reserves. In 2013, the California Legislature directed CDFW to expand the program to more properties as a way for all visitors to contribute to the management of the places they enjoy and appreciate.

A daily lands pass costs $4.32 and an annual lands pass costs $24.33. Lands passes can be purchased online at www.ca.wildlifelicense.com/internetsales, by phone at (800) 565-1458 or in-person wherever hunting and fishing license are sold (please see www.wildlife.ca.gov/licensing for a list of locations). The passes are good at any CDFW-managed wildlife area or ecological reserve designated as a lands pass area. With the exception of the Elkhorn Slough Ecological Reserve, lands passes are not sold on site and should be purchased in advance. Though lands passes can be purchased from a smartphone and used immediately, many of CDFW’s wildlife areas and ecological reserves are in remote locations with limited or no cell service or Wi-Fi availability. Signs will be posted notifying visitors of the need for a lands pass.

A lands pass already is required to visit six CDFW properties:
•Elkhorn Slough Ecological Reserve in Monterey County
•Gray Lodge Wildlife Area in Butte County
•Grizzly Island Wildlife Area in Solano County
•Imperial Wildlife Area in Imperial County
•Los Banos Wildlife Area in Merced County
•San Jacinto Wildlife Area in Riverside County.

Beginning in November, a lands pass will be required to visit the following 11 properties:
•Ash Creek, Bass Hill, Honey Lake and Willow Creek wildlife areas in Lassen County
•Battle Creek Wildlife Area in Tehama County
•Butte Valley, Horseshoe Ranch and Shasta Valley wildlife areas in Siskiyou County
•Mouth of Cottonwood Creek Wildlife Area in Shasta County
•Napa-Sonoma Marshes Wildlife Area (Green Island Unit only) in Napa County
•Woodbridge Ecological Reserve in San Joaquin County (beginning Nov. 15)

Starting January 2018, a lands pass will be required at the following 23 properties:
•Batiquitos Lagoon, Boden Canyon, Buena Vista Lagoon and San Elijo Lagoon ecological reserves and Hollenbeck Canyon and San Felipe Valley wildlife areas in San Diego County
•Upper Newport Bay (Big Canyon Unit only) Ecological Reserve in Orange County
•Canebrake Ecological Reserve in Kern County
•Crescent City Marsh, Elk Creek Wetlands and Lake Earl wildlife areas in Del Norte County
•Eel River, Elk River Wetlands, Fay Slough and Mad River Slough wildlife areas in Humboldt County
•Hope Valley Wildlife Area in Alpine County
•Mendota Wildlife Area in Fresno County
•North Grasslands and Volta wildlife areas in Merced County
•North Table Mountain Ecological Reserve in Butte County and the Upper Butte Basin Wildlife Area in Butte and Glenn counties
•Tehama Wildlife Area in Tehama County
•Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area in Yolo County

Starting February 2018, a lands pass will be required at the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve in Orange County.

For more information on CDFW’s Lands Pass program, please visit www.wildlife.ca.gov/licensing/lands-pass.

Media Contacts:
Julie Horenstein, CDFW Lands Program, (916) 324-3772
Peter Tira, CDFW Communications, (916) 322-8908

CDFW photo of the Ash Creek Wildlife Area in Lassen County where a CDFW lands pass will be required of visitors 16 or older starting in November
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Sparky of SoCal » December 21st, 2017, 6:02 am

It sorta looks like a tax to use public lands. On top of what I pay in taxes already. That's what it seems like. I wonder if every effort to cut waste in the present budget was looked at or just throw a tax, I mean a fee, I mean make a Pass mandatory.
Sparky of SoCal

Postby John Harper » December 21st, 2017, 6:33 am

Wow, Batiquitos Lagoon is right next to my house, and San Elijo just a bit south. I do know they plan an extensive restoration of San Elijo Lagoon over the next couple years. Since dwindling numbers of people even get outdoors, it seems like a reasonable way for those who do to support their recreation, hopefully without diversion of funds. The lagoons down here are very beautiful, and I am lucky to have them so close. I think it costs a few bucks to park at some of the state beaches, so not something unheard of around here.

John
John Harper

Postby Wildman » December 21st, 2017, 10:39 am

This is California....they can proclaim you need this or that but they don't have the resources to monitor the fishing and hunting.....let along walking along a lagoon. Like the US Forest Service day pass, no one in the agencies put much stock in them. They just don't have the budgets.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Sparky of SoCal » December 21st, 2017, 12:20 pm

Wildman wrote:This is California....they can proclaim you need this or that but they don't have the resources to monitor the fishing and hunting.....let along walking along a lagoon. Like the US Forest Service day pass, no one in the agencies put much stock in them. They just don't have the budgets.

The monies not in the budget. OK let's roll with that. Is the an acountability check to see if the current budget is being spent correctley or do we just throw monies at the different services and just assume the money is not wasted. I find it hard to believe we can't bolster the money currently available by spending wisely. From Cal Trans to the Park Service I don't trust them.
Sparky of SoCal

Postby DrCreek » December 21st, 2017, 8:18 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ California. Gotta have some extra cash to help pay for those way cool entitlement programs, right? Should we have an in-depth conversation about where all that "gas tax" money is going? 'Cuz it 'aint going toward infrastructure and highways. :Pop: Is there a , "stirring the fudge" icon anywhere around here? :funnyup:
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby stanbery » December 21st, 2017, 8:42 pm

Mike
Don't get me started!! The state of CA or People Republic of CA sucks big time. Need to get rid of Jerry Brown as well.
Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby DrCreek » December 22nd, 2017, 8:03 am

stanbery wrote:Mike
Don't get me started!! The state of CA or People Republic of CA sucks big time. Need to get rid of Jerry Brown as well.
Jon

I'm with you. I cant believe this state is run in the manner it is. Lies, lies, lies. Keep 'em coming ! As long as the politicians and their families are benefiting (financially) from all their own lies, that's all they want. Maybe its time to start a vent thread in one of the special rooms?

DrCreek

Postby Ants » December 22nd, 2017, 9:37 pm

My my my! Such venting about a trivial fee.

When your cable bill or health insurance goes up, do you show the same enthusiasm.

Everyone seems to think all the improvements in programs should come at no additional expense. Well, not me!

If the State thinks a few or a few hundred dollars will help, good! Start the fees!

I * away more money drinking wine and beer, so I may have a perspective.

Now, go out and fish and relax, and stop raising your blood pressure on trivial items.

Ants
Ants

Postby DrCreek » December 23rd, 2017, 7:43 am

Well, then maybe I'd better forewarn you about what I wrote in the Mud Slinging Room. You might want to steer clear of that thread. :funnyup: Best, Mike

DrCreek

Postby Trootfisher » January 1st, 2018, 9:20 pm

The CDFW is getting less and less general fund monies in the annual state budget and are having to generate revenue any way they can.

They have fees for just about everything now, to support their many different programs. I just managed the preparation of an EIR for a project and we have to pay a $3800 CEQA fee to CDFW. For the same project, we are applying to CDFW for an incidental take permit at a cost of $30,000. We will also be notifying CDFW for a streamed alteration agreement, which will cost an additional $5000 or more. These fees cover their staff time and administrative overhead to review and process.

You want to know why projects are expensive and take a long time to build??? This is one (of a few) reasons....
Trootfisher

Return to General Fly Fishing