REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

How to properly remove a barbed hook from self

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

How to properly remove a barbed hook from self

Postby Papasequoia » March 19th, 2009, 8:45 am

I can tell you from experience that it works. Best done with two people, but I have managed it alone before. (Yes, I know, debarbing hooks is the best method, but this is some good fyi). Jon

Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Re: How to properly remove a barbed hook from self

Postby fly addict » March 19th, 2009, 9:35 am

When I used to work on 6 pac charter boats there were times that we would have to remove hooks from passengers who had impaled themselves or others. :shock: The hooks were a lot larger and always had a barb. The best way to remove them was to push the hook point through the skin and past the barb then clip off the barb and back what is left of the hook out of the original hole. If it is real deep go to the emergency room. Make sure that the wound gets some antiseptic on it after the hook has been removed or it will become infected. Especially in fresh water.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Sasha » March 19th, 2009, 9:37 am

Nah I just grabbed my forceps attached them to the hook and removed it :lol:

This was after fiddling around with the hook when it was in my lip for a long time. I learned my lesson though and now de-barb my hooks prior to tying them on ;)
Sasha

Postby Papasequoia » March 19th, 2009, 9:40 am

Good addition, Fly Addict! Btw Sasha, the one time I hooked myself in the lip it was de-barbed. However, when I hooked myself "down there" it was with a barbed hook. :o
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby rayfound » March 19th, 2009, 9:55 am

This is why I now de-barb before a fly ever enters the box. Actually, I now de-barb before I even put one in the vise.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby sakana » March 19th, 2009, 10:12 am

You can get a practice run in ( before you have to do it for real :o ) by practicing on a chicken breast with the skin on. 8-)
sakana

Postby Sasha » March 19th, 2009, 1:59 pm

Papasequoia wrote:Good addition, Fly Addict! Btw Sasha, the one time I hooked myself in the lip it was de-barbed. However, when I hooked myself "down there" it was with a barbed hook. :o

:shock: Ouch :shock:

But I guess that is part of the danger of naked fly fishing :lol:

I suppose you also have that hat I saw in Lone Pine once, the one that reads: Fly fish naked, show off your rod. :lol: :lol:
Sasha

Postby Papasequoia » March 19th, 2009, 3:58 pm

Sasha wrote:But I guess that is part of the danger of naked fly fishing :lol:

Actually, I was somewhat dressed. What happened was I had been fishing two nymphs and decided to change flies. Instead of clipping them both off I decided (as I often do) to leave them attached by the tippet running between the two and I only clipped off the top fly. I then put the two flies (still attached to each other) on the drying pad hanging from my lanyard.

At some time in the future I went to take a leak. One of the flies had fallen off of the pad and was dangling down. When I finished peeing and went to shake, I all of a sudden felt a sharp pain in the *. (true story).

Zinger #1 The fly wasn't hanging down very far, but I am gifted, and that was my undoing. Former girlfriends don't call me Big Jon for nothing ya know. ;

Zinger #2 The fly barely pierced the skin and didn't even go in past the barb, so it was easy to remove. Former girlfriends don't call me the Man of Steel for nothing ya know. ;)

This true tale has been told so that this doesn't happen to YOU! It might be a pain to have to retie two nymphs together, but compare it to the pain of what may happen if you don't clip them both and then decide! :o
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby gabe » March 19th, 2009, 4:14 pm

I had to use this method once before when my brother hooked our youngest brother on the top of his foot.
I've never seen or heard of the method before, but just figured it was the best way to do it.
So I snipped about 4' of leader, and did exactly as that picture illustrates.
1,2.... rip!!! a huge yelp from my lil brother who was about 9 at the time and tears starting flowing.
gave him a pat on the back, "quit being a *.", and went back to fishing.

I've always feared getting pegged by a nice salty hook while flickin in the surf. I've cut my self many times and got pinned a bit in the back on windy days. Luckily I haven't got hooked real good yet. Never have to worry about it on the river though, since barbless or smashed down barbs are a must. Though I sure have had my share of hook pricks on the river removing flies.
be safe, and always where shades.
gabe

Postby Sasha » March 20th, 2009, 10:17 am

Papasequoia wrote:
Sasha wrote:But I guess that is part of the danger of naked fly fishing :lol:

Actually, I was somewhat dressed. What happened was I had been fishing two nymphs and decided to change flies. Instead of clipping them both off I decided (as I often do) to leave them attached by the tippet running between the two and I only clipped off the top fly. I then put the two flies (still attached to each other) on the drying pad hanging from my lanyard.

At some time in the future I went to take a leak. One of the flies had fallen off of the pad and was dangling down. When I finished peeing and went to shake, I all of a sudden felt a sharp pain in the *. (true story).

Zinger #1 The fly wasn't hanging down very far, but I am gifted, and that was my undoing. Former girlfriends don't call me Big Jon for nothing ya know. ;

Zinger #2 The fly barely pierced the skin and didn't even go in past the barb, so it was easy to remove. Former girlfriends don't call me the Man of Steel for nothing ya know. ;)

This true tale has been told so that this doesn't happen to YOU! It might be a pain to have to retie two nymphs together, but compare it to the pain of what may happen if you don't clip them both and then decide! :o

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am not even sure how to reply to this post :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sasha

Postby Papasequoia » March 20th, 2009, 11:20 pm

Sasha wrote:
I am not even sure how to reply to this post :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just one word: ouch.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby rayfound » March 20th, 2009, 11:36 pm

Papa, please disregard my application to the CNFFC. It seemed I may have overlooked some possible downsides...
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby Sasha » March 21st, 2009, 1:09 pm

Are there any female members of the CNFFC or is it all guys :lol: ;)
Sasha

Postby Papasequoia » March 21st, 2009, 4:43 pm

Well, Ariel claims membership, however, like DrCreek has yet to pass the entrance exam: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1268
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby beachbum » March 21st, 2009, 7:16 pm

You guys make me laugh!!

Back to the hook removal topic, I usually tell the hooked person I will pull it on three, and pull it on two. It's out before they know it. The technique truly does work, and smaller hooks come out easier then big ones. Ocassionally you can hear it make a popping noise when the hook comes free. If in doubt, seek professional help.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing