REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

A Huge Lesson

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: A Huge Lesson

Postby John Harper » January 5th, 2018, 6:20 am

Mike, that's one of the worst stories I've heard. So creepy. I had my van broken into at Mission Bay by some drifter on a bike, but never had an encounter like that anywhere. Hope Chris heals up quick and justice is done for Mr. Suckerpunch. Take care, bro.

John
John Harper

Postby Ants » January 5th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Thanks for relating the details, but I am sorry / enlightened to read about them. Seems like all the decisions were all the best. There are strange characters everywhere. I hope it all turns out well with Chris and your dealings with the DA.

Ants
Ants

Postby Dry Fly Rie » January 5th, 2018, 11:03 pm

What a terrible/sad story. I'm so sorry for Chris and hope he has a speedy and complete recovery. I'm thankful the perp didn't have a weapon to cause more harm.

You're right, Creek, you just never know with people these days. So sad/infuriating.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby Benny » January 7th, 2018, 2:48 pm

This is sad to hear. Hope your buddy has a speedy recovery.
Benny

Postby stanbery » January 7th, 2018, 9:16 pm

Mike

That total sucks big time!!

Chris I hope you heal up soon.

JOn
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Troutbum007 » January 7th, 2018, 9:17 pm

Wildman wrote:Our new world. Very appropriate in the light of the tragic death of a 35 year veteran of two tours in Viet Nam and 30+ years active with San Bernardino County sheriff's Department yesterday. He took a single sucker punch to the head after a fender bender and died at the hospital. He was off duty in the area that he was used to working and had gotten in a minor fender bender when the guy went off. Turns out he was career criminal on parole released after our spate of new laws to empty our prisons.

You street smarts paid off and you were able to mitigate the circumstances. Your caution and situational awareness prevented an even more egregious assault. They (the chronic criminal and dope addict....mentally unstable and gangsters) walk among us now. I am hoping you gave the perp a few checks to see just how effective oxygen deprivation can be.

I would urge everyone who lives in a place that has access to CCW's to take the plunge and get one. Maybe not for everyone and requires a clear understanding of the ramifications if deadly force is used. San Bernardino County is very pro-CCW and urges every citizen to take advantage of their 2nd amendment rights. Second best, carry a stun gun or spray to incapacitate and disengage. There are courses that most law enforcement offers to foster situational awareness and positive steps you might take to get out of a real jam.

Thanks for sharing Mike. It could happen to any one of us and not just in big cities. Glad everyone survived.

Orange County is also pro CCW. Something to look in to.
Troutbum007

Postby clee » January 7th, 2018, 10:13 pm

Troutbum007 wrote:Orange County is also pro CCW. Something to look in to.

Has things changed? Last I heard Hutchen changed her position and now requires more than "self defense" as good clause. While possible, I'm wouldn't necessarily call OC pro-ccw.
clee

Postby dray » January 8th, 2018, 10:11 am

That’s terrible...wishing you well Chris
dray

Postby Troutbum007 » January 8th, 2018, 8:01 pm

clee wrote:
Troutbum007 wrote:Orange County is also pro CCW. Something to look in to.

Has things changed? Last I heard Hutchen changed her position and now requires more than "self defense" as good clause. While possible, I'm wouldn't necessarily call OC pro-ccw.

OC is an "reasonable good clause" County. There is a estimated 12,290 CCW's in 2017. Its my understanding that only 4% of the applicants are not approved. The OC Sherriff's Department wants to issue. Its not as hard as people say. I do see your point, its harder than it should be.
Troutbum007

Postby DrCreek » January 9th, 2018, 8:00 am

Even if SD County was a CC friendly county, this incident wasn't going to be cured with a gun. Had SD been a CCW county and I had a permit and weapon on my person at the time and I had drawn that firearm on this dude, I'd be the one in jail. This guy had no weapons and there was no threat of life at the time. Chris and I met the threat with like tools; our hands.

Believe me, I'd love to see SD County give CC permits to a few of the good guys. It will never happen. The only people carrying concealed in SD are convicted felons. I assume that's legal per our idiot lawmakers.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby DarkShadow » January 9th, 2018, 5:42 pm

DrCreek wrote:Even if SD County was a CC friendly county, this incident wasn't going to be cured with a gun.

Amen.

And like Forrest Gump once said, "And that's all I'm gonna say about that."

I'm hoping fast recovery for Chris, and hoping the perpetrator gets his day in court, and the help that he needs.
DarkShadow

Postby duckdog » January 12th, 2018, 10:12 am

Mike, i'm really sorry to hear that you guys had your day ruined by some punk. I hope that Chris will recover completely. It's good that you are someone who trusts that situational awareness sense that we all posses but too many people ignore. I am a BIG believer in "personal space". I don't think that there is anything anti social about being a space advocate.(space advocate, I know how funny that sounds, sorry) It doesn't matter where I am, if someone that I don't know moves into my space( defined as arms length to me), then you are crowding me, I won't like it and will move and try to increase the space. Little old ladies and children get a pass.
Some one suggested that when someone is threatening you up close to hold your hands up at chest level in a triangle , finger tips touching in a fairly passive manner I say Amen to that. By doing this you put yourself in a position to defend yourself without appearing overly aggressive. Then if the aggressor actually does throw down, and he winds up taking a ride in an ambulance , any witnesses will be apt to testify that you appeared to be trying to avoid confrontation.
I am a big believer in canines and self defense training. I love dogs, there are no finer or loyal creatures in all of creation. They can hear better than us. Have better night vision. And have bigger teeth. And for now anyway,the state of California has not imposed a waiting period for obtaining one or made them illegal.
It's hard for the average human to go from a peaceful relaxed state to red lined full fight mode.It takes a few moments to register and comprehend what's happening. Those are very important moments. the attack can be decided by then. Which put's us at a disadvantage when we are being stalked by an aggressor because he is already revved up and ready to go. It's hard to live all the time in a" ready to ignite state" . Dogs seem to be able to do this though. All of my German short hairs have been pretty much lap dogs, they curl in my lap at night when I read or watch t.v. Now when they hear something out side or someone walks up to the front door they launch off from sleepy dog mode to full protection mode ready to defend us . Like a match that has been ignited. Now unfortunately for me,too many times when they have launched they've pushed off of my groin with their back legs leaving me incapacitated. Yeah, that's fun.

There is a great book written by Patrick Van Horn and Jason A. Riley titled "Left of Bang" . It outlines the Marine Corps combat hunter program. I highly recommend it.
Mike , that situation could have ended so much worse . Great job in subduing that guy. At that moment you really didn't know if that guy was armed or not. For all anyone knew his next move could have been to take out a blade or screwdriver and start slashing . I am happy that was not the case
Stay safe everyone.
duckdog

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing