REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Good waders for hiking? Wading pants?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Good waders for hiking? Wading pants?

Postby fshflys » February 26th, 2018, 6:48 am

Have had that problem too, size small waders have enough room for a size 10 foot. Patagonia... they fit my foot perfect.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby DarkShadow » February 27th, 2018, 12:18 pm

John Harper wrote:Ok, got the wading pants, look pretty well made for $60 on sale. Foot is way too big for me. I think my buddy might fit them perfect so maybe he'll buy them or I'll send back. The small (8-10) stockingfoot is too big for my 8 foot, without having to steal a pair of boots from Bozo.

Decide to try some Korkers I-Drain Wading Guard Socks 3.5mm in size 7-8 and pair up with some wading sandals. I'm used to fishing cold ocean water all winter, so this should work for my limited needs. 3.5mm is like full wetsuit material so it should insulate quite well in my experience.

John

John,

Just be careful not to kick any rocks with sandals on. I made the mistake of doing that one time and it wasn't a fun walk back to the car.

I also have difficulty with wader sizing and find that I can probably get something custom from Simms if worse comes to worse. I have a size 44 chest, but size 8.5 shoes. I'm 5'5", so Im essentially built like a bowling ball. The Patagonias fit nicely, and although I have a bit of room in the booties, they weren't as bad as the Simms in similar sizing.
DarkShadow

Postby John Harper » February 27th, 2018, 4:20 pm

Yes, I just turned 60, and the next time I wear waders will be the first time. Just can't see spending big bucks on something I may only use once, especially if comfort is compromised. I'm thinking some cheap hiking shoes over the Korkers guard socks, protect the foot for sure.

John
John Harper

Postby Trootfisher » March 10th, 2018, 10:42 am

just pack in lightweight waders and put them on at your destination. With enough walking, you eventually wear out the crotch area and potentially other areas of waders no matter what. Try to minimize that by not wearing them in areas not on the water.

source: walked many miles of stream in waders for fisheries work
Trootfisher

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing