REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Good waders for hiking? Wading pants?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Postby John Harper » February 16th, 2018, 1:20 pm

Looking for some durable breathable waders that are suitable for hiking in. Trying to get some gear together for my summer trip. What about boots? How about wade able pants? Any ideas are appreciated. I'm thinking of getting some stuff now during the, ahem, so called winter.

Never used waders, so not sure what's up. Maybe put them in my daypack and carry them to destination? IDK.

John
John Harper

Re: Good waders for hiking? Wading pants?

Postby NorcalBob » February 16th, 2018, 3:25 pm

There are NO breathable waders suitable for hiking in, IMNSHO. You produce so much sweat/water vapor that it overwhelms the breathability of the fabric and you end up soggy on the inside no matter how breathable the waders are. If you want to cover serious miles on the trail, pack in a pair of ultralight packable waders and put them on once you reach your fishing destination, and then take them off for your return hike.
NorcalBob

Postby Rasputinj » February 16th, 2018, 7:14 pm

John,
I use light weight reddington wading pants. They are light enough to carry with you. I like to wear them when I am hiking less than 5 miles. Yes you can sweat a ton at times. I try not to wear them when it gets too hot. I have older pair of Simms wading pants they are much thicker which is great for bush wacking, but I sweat even more in them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby WanderingBlues » February 17th, 2018, 6:13 am

I’ll use my Simms wading socks sometimes without folding them over to act as gravel guards. That way, they’ll extend up to the knee.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby wallyC » February 17th, 2018, 9:06 am

Since you are hiking, I figure your fishing creeks. My wife and I use hip stockingfoot waders. Mine are Dan Bailey's, her's are frog toggs. The first year I wore out an expensive pair of wading boots. Since then what we do is go Big 5 sporting goods and buy a pair of cheap hiking boots. take your waders when you try them on of course, but it seems to be that a size bigger works. We will hike up to 2 hours, going in, to fish. We usually get in around 35+ days of fly fishing a year. Also, a pound on your foot equals 5 pounds on your back. Bear Paw brand is the lightest we've found, but they wear excellent. Will be starting my 3rd season with current pair, although I did replace the laces middle of last season. I wear levi's and have never had a sweating problem, but WE hike in early..............wallyC
wallyC

Postby duckdog » February 17th, 2018, 9:22 am

I agree with Norcal Bob. Pack in your waders and put them on when you get to your destination. This last duck season I jump shot the upper O from below hot creek to the ranch. It was 5 degrees when I started and 30 degrees when I finished. Everything that I was wearing was Gortex, breathable, and soaked.
duckdog

Postby Dry Fly Rie » February 17th, 2018, 11:50 pm

I don't typically hike in more than 45 minutes to reach my fishing destinations, but if it's going to be more than 10-15 minutes, then I'm hiking in regular boots and lightweight pants and packing in my wading boots and waders (if I'm going to use them). I've found a lot of times, I just wet wade with my wading boots and and Simms socks and leave the waders at camp.

There are plenty of creeks/locations though, that do require waders to crash through brush or slide on/over rocks and gravel. For those locations, I always roll the waders up and put them in a small backpack with my wading boots for the trip.

For some of the places I'll hike to, I walk in until I'm where I want to start fishing, make a quick change into my waders and boots, and then stash the backpack with my other stuff somewhere off-trail that I'll remember. That way I can fish without the extra weight of my hiking boots and extra gear. Typically, I'm fishing while working upstream, so when I'm done for the day, I just walk back downstream until I find where my starting point was, recover my pack, switch back into my hiking boots (always a good idea to bring a fresh pair of socks), and then repack the waders and wet boots in the backpack (I usually bring a couple of plastic bags to keep the whole bag from getting soaked on the walk out).
Dry Fly Rie

Postby John Harper » February 18th, 2018, 8:34 am

This all sounds good, and pretty much confirms most of my thoughts. I run "hot" so sweat very easily, rarely wear long pants even in winter. I figured "breathable" was a much more optimistic marketing slogan than reality. I like the idea of wading pants, as well as the socks.

Got many maps coming in, just got a bear resistant cooler, plans are progressing.

Just ordered a pair of wading pants from Bass Pro, only $59 on sale, free ship. Probably just go with light hiking shoes instead of boots as well. Did not see Redington wading pants for sale anywhere.

John
John Harper

Postby DarkShadow » February 21st, 2018, 11:09 am

John,

Apparently I'm part Polar Bear, because I can wet wade in pretty cold temps and rarely hike long distances with waders on. So unless there is snow on the ground, I'm wet wading. Im using the Simms Arapaima pants that I got on Clearance. I've fallen into the water with them and they repel water pretty * well. If you get fully immersed, they'll be dry by the time you get back to your car. When wet wading, I use a pair of 5.10s, which IMO, are the best wet wading boot known to man. The soles stick to rocks like nothing I've seen before. Perhaps that is why Search and Rescue use these when making swift water rescues.

For all the crap I've bought after being addicted to the sport, I don't think I've made a better investment than those boots. People have come up to me and asked me about them when they see me hike upstream through rocks and snot and moss like a running back without missing a beat. The toes are reinforced, so the days of kicking rocks and messing up your toes are long gone. Add a pair of Simm's wading socks with gravel guards and I can kick a grizzly in the face and run away, but not really.

But when I do have to wear waders, I have Patagonia's Rio Gallegos and:

1. They feel more breathable than Simms. I remember doing the FOTK hikes in my Simms and getting back to the truck with my lower body completely moist. I've done the same hike with the Patagonias and my lower half doesn't feel like I've walked out of a sauna in Phoenix in August. Same exact hike, same time of year, same temperature, but different results.

2. The Rio Gallegos are convertible, which means that during long hikes, I can use them like pants. With a flip of a switch, they become waist high.

I got them also on Clearance on Sierra Trading Post, and applying the 30% off coupon on Fridays, I might as well have stolen them.

(Plus they have knee pads...I truly never appreciated them until your crawling on your hands and knees trying to get a riser to go on the Lamar)

But, above is my experience. For what it's worth, Patagonia now makes the Middle Fork packable waders.

As far as boots, I'm running with the Simm's Vaportreads which honestly, feel more like hiking boots than wading boots. Believe me, I've hiked 11 miles in them without any problems. They don't feel bogged down like ordinary wading boots, which feel like you're hiking in cement blocks. I've added the aluminum bites for better traction, and is definitely a step up from the POS Korkers I used to use, where the sole would fall out before I left the parking lot.

I know, Patagonia waders, Simms wading boots. :doh:
DarkShadow

Postby John Harper » February 21st, 2018, 11:24 am

DarkShadow wrote:John,

Apparently I'm part Polar Bear, because I can wet wade in pretty cold temps

I surf fish here in Carlsbad all winter in surf booties and trunks, so the cold does not bother me either.

I don't see where they make those 5.10 Water Tennies any longer.

We'll see what these BPS pants look like, I can always return them.

John
John Harper

Postby DarkShadow » February 21st, 2018, 11:33 am

John Harper wrote:I'll take a look at those 5.10 shoes too, thanks. Do they have a website? Never heard of them.

John

I didn't either until a buddy of mine who canyoneers in Utah recommended them.

He realized that we both share the same experience when we're outside. Of course, I got them on sale, as I would have to clench my teeth having to get them at full price.

And I just navigated to their website and am about to cry:

1. Adidas bought them out. Ugh. They used to be www.fiveten.com

2. They dropped their canyoneering line.

I honestly was about to buy another pair after realizing how amazing they are because I've beat my pair to crap. You can probably find them at other retailers. There was a pair on eBay that I was going to buy, and now i realize I should've.
DarkShadow

Postby John Harper » February 21st, 2018, 11:42 am

Bummer. First the Redington wading pants, now the 5.10 shoes. You guys are messing with me. :twisted:

I see some 5.10's on Amazon for $354!!! OMG. I'll hire a guide and use his gear for that price.

John
John Harper

Postby k9mark » February 21st, 2018, 9:56 pm

Spring/ summer I wear nylon fishing pants with a pair of wool socks and Simms wet wader boots similar to those 5.10,s above. Never get cold and the pants dry almost immediately after getting out of the water. I only wear wafer n the fall and winter now
"...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have Heroes..." .....Best partner I ever had ------------->
k9mark

Postby DarkShadow » February 22nd, 2018, 11:02 am

John Harper wrote:Bummer. First the Redington wading pants, now the 5.10 shoes. You guys are messing with me. :twisted:

I see some 5.10's on Amazon for $354!!! OMG. I'll hire a guide and use his gear for that price.

John

And to think I got my pair for about 60 bucks.

If I had known they'd be that fantastic, I definitely would've gotten 2.

I saw a 'Prototype' 5.10 canyoneering boot on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Five-Ten-2019- ... SwMYRaifQd

Hopefully they didn't discontinue that line completely, because I need to get another pair.
DarkShadow

Postby John Harper » February 25th, 2018, 9:08 am

Ok, got the wading pants, look pretty well made for $60 on sale. Foot is way too big for me. I think my buddy might fit them perfect so maybe he'll buy them or I'll send back. The small (8-10) stockingfoot is too big for my 8 foot, without having to steal a pair of boots from Bozo.

Decide to try some Korkers I-Drain Wading Guard Socks 3.5mm in size 7-8 and pair up with some wading sandals. I'm used to fishing cold ocean water all winter, so this should work for my limited needs. 3.5mm is like full wetsuit material so it should insulate quite well in my experience.

John
John Harper

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing