REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Yellowstone Bans Felt Wading Soles

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Yellowstone Bans Felt Wading Soles

Postby Baughb » March 8th, 2018, 5:32 pm

"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Re: Yellowstone Bans Felt Wading Soles

Postby BrownBear » March 8th, 2018, 7:03 pm

Just break out the non-felt boots you bought for your Alaska trip. ;)
BrownBear

Postby DarkShadow » March 9th, 2018, 11:22 am

Have only rubber soled boots, so I guess I'm good.
DarkShadow

Postby WanderingBlues » March 9th, 2018, 11:48 am

Felt kinda freaks me out anyway. Some weird phobia, I guess...
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby clee » March 9th, 2018, 12:22 pm

I'm with DS, for the most part I've abandoned felt years ago. I know others many differ but I've never had a problem with Vibram rubber soles even without cleats.
clee

Postby Baughb » March 9th, 2018, 5:23 pm

I went to Vibram after my felts kept getting destroyed by my hiking to and from rivers.

Bob
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Postby John Harper » March 10th, 2018, 6:23 am

Well, I'm glad I haven't pulled the trigger on wading shoes yet.

John
John Harper

Postby Papasequoia » March 10th, 2018, 11:39 am

I showed up in Alaska for a half day guided boat trip on the Kenai last summer. "Oh no," said the guide when he saw me, looking alarmed he said, "Do you have other wading boots? You can't wear felt in Alaska." Korkers to the rescue - I always have both the felt and the vibram soles with me just in case I need to do some hiking (vibram) or the bottom is really slippery (felt). In this case, that saved the day.

I do wear rubber soles more often, but sometimes the felt is the way to go. Love those Korkers - they fixed the problems that got them a bad rep years ago and are great for me. One of these days I will order the bottoms with rubber and cleats.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby midger » March 13th, 2018, 2:28 pm

Both types of soles have their purposes. If I'm hiking I like the rubber soled boots, for wading, felt if they're legal. I've busted my * too many times with rubber soled boots on the Klamath, Trinity, and rivers in Kansas. I'll take felt for wading, and felt with tung studs for rivers with snot covered rocks. I keep all the boots in my FF closets.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Wingnut » March 13th, 2018, 2:46 pm

Papasequoia wrote:I showed up in Alaska for a half day guided boat trip on the Kenai last summer. "Oh no," said the guide when he saw me, looking alarmed he said, "Do you have other wading boots? You can't wear felt in Alaska." Korkers to the rescue - I always have both the felt and the vibram soles with me just in case I need to do some hiking (vibram) or the bottom is really slippery (felt). In this case, that saved the day.

I do wear rubber soles more often, but sometimes the felt is the way to go. Love those Korkers - they fixed the problems that got them a bad rep years ago and are great for me. One of these days I will order the bottoms with rubber and cleats.

X2 on Korkers
Wingnut

Postby NorcalBob » March 13th, 2018, 2:56 pm

I got less than a year on my Korkers until the retaining strap that secures the sole to the boot cracked and separated. Now they are useless. No more Korkers for me. :fireangry:
It's a great idea having interchangable soles but.......... :booty:
NorcalBob

Postby clee » March 13th, 2018, 3:06 pm

NorcalBob wrote:I got less than a year on my Korkers until the retaining strap that secures the sole to the boot cracked and separated. Now they are useless. No more Korkers for me. :fireangry:

I'm with Bob. Korkers blow. I'll forever trash them to anyone who will listen.
clee

Postby tomsakai » March 13th, 2018, 4:19 pm

clee wrote:
NorcalBob wrote:I got less than a year on my Korkers until the retaining strap that secures the sole to the boot cracked and separated. Now they are useless. No more Korkers for me. :fireangry:

I'm with Bob. Korkers blow. I'll forever trash them to anyone who will listen.

I know Korkers has updated their boots several times. Clee and NorcalBob, are your boots the latest models? Did you see if Korkers would warranty their boots? Very curious since the Yellowstone ban has me considering Korkers due to their interchangeable soles. Thanks.
tomsakai

Postby clee » March 13th, 2018, 6:05 pm

Tom my issue with Korkers is that their rubber soles suck a fat...I never felt so scared of wading in my whole life.
I wasn't fishing big water either. I was fishing water similar to Bear Creek. When I complained to them they blew me off stating that they are intended for light wading applications. Of course that is only stated on their website but not on the packaging nor on any of their resellers' websites. Who visits the manufacture's website when buying boots?
I don't. I just buy them off the site I'm on or the store I'm at. When I bought mine in person at Marriott's no one there told me that either. That's probably because they didn't know themselves.

Korkers suggested I buy their other soles for my applications. So in other words I should spend more money to make my boots wadable.

Before knowing all this I also bought an additional pair online for my father where it's been sitting in storage in the garage. His pair was a rubber sole and rubber studded set. I found out they messed that up too. I have three nonstudded soles and only one studed sole (which after talking to the guys at the shop tell me this is a regular occurrence). So essentially I have a worthless pair of boots. I will not give these boots to my old man, he'd likely become a cripple in them.

Do what you will with your own money but I'll never buy or recommend Korkers even to my worst enemy. I never had issues with Simms boots period. I've owned at least 5 pairs so far, two of them have been replaced free of charge so technically 7 pairs.
clee

Postby planettrout » March 15th, 2018, 8:01 am

I have both:

...and used each pair when I was up in Montana with my son in September. The days I was fishing in YNP, it looked like this:

...so the Simms G3's were on our feet...

I have an older pair of Korkers, but have never been impressed with their comfort or durability.

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing