REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

A life saving article

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

A life saving article

Postby Wildman » March 31st, 2018, 12:51 pm

This article is from the PCT trail news letter and is about crossing streams and creeks....something we do all the time.
It has some interesting points and reiterates the danger of moving water.

https://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/backcountry-basics/water/stream-crossing-safety/?utm_source=Trail+Dirt+March+2018&utm_campaign=cfa8e0706b-trail_dirt_issue_56&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6f7dfffa56-cfa8e0706b-432578397
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Re: A life saving article

Postby eleph » March 31st, 2018, 9:01 pm

I have waded the Kern at high run off, got my fly stuck to a rock and did not want to lose it, I waded out to the rock to collect my $2.50 fly. One hour later in and out of the river I promised never, ever do that again, I was frightend
pete d
eleph

Postby DarkShadow » April 2nd, 2018, 9:59 am

The problem is that my brain keeps pushing it, and this is not something you wanna 'push.'

I've had some gnarly wades across rough rivers and vowed never to do it again as well.
DarkShadow

Postby mountainbiker » April 3rd, 2018, 8:25 am

I also read that article. Having the three point contact helps a lot. I have a retractable lanyard attached to my wading staff to keep right at my side. Good info.
mountainbiker

Postby Jimbo Roberts » April 3rd, 2018, 9:42 am

Funny they didn't mention several things.....
When using a wading/hiking staff always plan that staff downstream, even if it means using your non-dominate hand/arm.
Polarized sunglasses and a hat will help you see the bottom and help with deciding where to make your next step.
Never try swimming upstream, always plan any swim cross and downstream, because that's where the current will take you. If you have to swim straight across a river/stream against a current for your only exit, DON'T DO IT !!! Believing you can swim against a current is a BIG MISTAKE !!! Again swimming should be a very last resort when crossing any river/stream. You should scout the river/stream upstream and down first for any other possible crossing that does not involve swimming. If you have to swim you can/should use your drybags for floatation devices. If your swimming for it, take off and stow any heavy cloths that could weight you down if things go bad. When in doubt let all your equipment go and save yourself first. You can look for the gear downstream later.
If when crossing a very cold river/stream you might consider stopping and building a fire after the crossing to warm up and dry out before moving on. If you can dry your boots even better. At the very least try using some dry shocks to prevent blisters.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby planettrout » April 3rd, 2018, 11:46 am

This past September, on a very cold, snowy and windy day, here in the channels section of the Madison River just outside of Ennis, MT, I nearly lost it while wading - and I was using a staff. The water was very swift and the small boulders in here were as slippery as bowling balls. I had to ask my son to grab me by the arm and get me out of the river. I was disoriented and was having a great deal of trouble keeping focused.

Getting old(er) really makes one aware of their limitations. I will be getting cataract surgery beginning the first week in June before I move up to Pullman, WA with my youngest daughter Ally while she attends Veterinary School at WA State Uni....I don't wan't to be stumbling on any of the rivers over in Idaho and won't be fishing alone anymore...

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby Bakoguy » April 6th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Great post and discussion. As a vertically challenged member of our species I am generally more careful than some. I would also suggest that you consider the group before deciding a route. Further, the rule of thumb of water no deeper than the knees is a good guideline.
Bakoguy

Return to General Fly Fishing